Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2024, 11:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hazy windscreen during the monsoons

Guys,

Me and a lot of my friends with cars of multiple manufacturers and vintage are facing a unique issue in the Mumbai Rains.

The windshield during rains always seems to be hazy. Even while using the wiper, the windshield doesnt seem to become clear. (Check video attached).

Things i have tried
1. Wiper usage, Normal AC usage with AC blower on passengers - Doesnt clear the window.
2. Wiper usage, AC on max with blower on windshield - Doesnt clear the window.
3. Wiper usage, AC on Heater and blower on windshield (the windows clear up when heated but the car becomes undriveable, especially since we cant open the windows.)
4. Wiper usage with washer fluid, Normal AC usage with AC blower on passengers - Doesnt clear the window.

My friends with Creta, Ertiga, Innova are also reporting the same.

Can our experienced Mumbai Veterans please help.
2000rpm is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 12:22   #2
BHPian

re: Hazy windscreen during the monsoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
The windshield during rains always seems to be hazy. Even while using the wiper, the windshield doesnt seem to become clear. (Check video attached).
What about the recirculation settings. Normally when you need to clear the windshield, you use the windshield setting and switch off the recirculation. This will clear it with the heater setting. Some climate controllers will automatically switch off recirculation when you switch to the windshield defogger setting.
Could you confirm about the recirculation?

Happy Motoring!
Bsilver is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 13:16   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Hazy windscreen during the monsoons

Quote:

You seem to mixing problems on the inside and the outside of the window?

First you need to check where the haze is. If is it inside, then it is a wiper problem. Difficult to see on the video, but I think the wiper is definitely leaving some haze.

Irrespective, it is always a good idea to clean the in- and outside of the windshield regularly with a proper cleaning agent. It could be just a simple house hold fluid, e.g. some vinegar in warm water. Or use some of the spray on cans.

Using the window wiper washers won't really clean the glass properly.

I use special car glass polish stuff and a special car glass wipe, which I have found to make a huge difference.

Old wipers can leave smears and haze too.

Haze/condensation on the inside is usually a problem with the ventilation system. Check as Bsilver suggested the recirculation. Check you are getting sufficient air flow from the various vents, especially the ones at the front of the dash near the edge of the windshield. Without sufficient air flow, nothing is gonna happen. It might be an indication of a clogged-up cabin filter (if installed) or a stuck ventilation valve.

But again, I emphasise the need for squeaky clean windows on the inside too. If the car is smoked in, you're in for it. Almost impossible to keep the windows from getting steamed up, and haze.

So my advise, check in- versus outside problem. But start with a proper cleaning in- and outside.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 14:15   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Hazy windscreen during the monsoons

Weather is very humid and if the temperature drops outside, then your vehicle`s windshield is a good place for water vapor to condense.

Spray a glasscleaner generously on the windshield and run the wiper, you may have to do this everyday if the route you travel has plenty of standing water on the road, there will be oil residues that would reach your windshield, causing smearing in the night.

Just use the wiper to clear the condensation and you should be good. In our cities its not that easy to use outside air mode \ heater etc due to smoke and other fragrances from outside, so heating up the windshield may not always be possible.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 16:12   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys,

Me and a lot of my friends with cars of multiple manufacturers and vintage are facing a unique issue in the Mumbai Rains.

Things i have tried
1. Wiper usage, Normal AC usage with AC blower on passengers - Doesnt clear the window.
2. Wiper usage, AC on max with blower on windshield - Doesnt clear the window.
3. Wiper usage, AC on Heater and blower on windshield (the windows clear up when heated but the car becomes undriveable, especially since we cant open the windows.)
4. Wiper usage with washer fluid, Normal AC usage with AC blower on passengers - Doesnt clear the window.
1. You need to add soap/shampoo to your washer fluid. Also while cleaning the glass areas - place special importance to using soapy fluid to clean and DON't RINSE off with plain water.

This is important because you need to understand what haze/fog on the glass is: it is millions of tiny, condensed droplets on the glass. This makes it optically equivalent to glass surface with million tiny, bumps making it opaque.

Soap/shampoo reduces surface tension, in less fancy words that means it doesn't allow water to form spherical droplets when it condenses. In fact, all the tiny droplets will merge with each other forming a thin, flat, water surface through which one can easily see across.

2. You need to keep the AC temperature as high as comfortably possible but do ensure that AC compressor is running all the time. (In some cars, the AC may cut-off at higher temperatures). Also preferably DO NOT direct the AC draft onto any glass surface.

To understand why, you need to understand that fog = tiny droplet condensation. This happens on any surface that is cold but is exposed to moist air (e.g. a tumbler with cold water/ice).

First this happens on the inside surface. The rainy weather has already cooled the glass surface on the inside as well as outside. Introduction of breathing human beings inside the car suddenly increases moisture. This starts condensing on the inside surface. After the AC has had its proper run (say 2-5 minutes), it has removed sufficient moisture, and the fog will vanish from the inside surface.

Now because the AC continues cooling, the temperature may fall lower than outside temperature (that's why I asked you to keep it as high as possible). In such situation the outside surface of the glass starts dropping, and this invites condensation and haze on the outside surface. This is aggravated when you direct the AC draft onto the glass surface (therefore I asked not to point the vents at glass).

Now from the video it is not clear, but could you further elaborate if you have haze issues on the inside surface of glass or the outside surface? (It appears to be on the outside)

Last edited by alpha1 : 25th July 2024 at 16:13.
alpha1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 17:04   #6
BHPian

There are 2 simple hacks to mitigate the issue if the moisture build up is happening internally;

1) Keep silica gel bags inside the car. These reduce humidity and moisture in the cabin and you can refresh them by placing them in the sun or popping them in the microwave. Reasonably priced and can be placed anywhere in the car.

2) Baking Soda/Activated charcoal - Place them in a pan or some textile bag under the seat in the car to absorb the bad odor emanating during rainy weather.

Externally - You need to fill your washer with proper windshield fluid. Soap/shampoo aren't that great, in addition to having a better rubber on your wiper blades.
NomadSK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 17:37   #7
BHPian

This is exactly what is happening in my Comet, specially these days where Delhi NCR is facing humidity at its peak. My colleague and myself drive to Gurgaon everyday. With the pair of us breathing, the inside surface of the windshield fogs up. As a 'best practice', I have always being using shampoo and water in the windshield liquid tank. The only solution I have arrived at is regular usage of windshield wipers with a spray burst and directing the airflow to the windshield on a regular basis. AC cooling set at L2, on recirculatory mode. Hate the outside smell coming inside the car.
Old 25th July 2024, 17:46   #8
Senior - BHPian

P.S. - There is no condensation on the inside of the windshield. The car is parked in dry covered parking with only water source being wet cars and their tyres.

I havent switched off recirculation, will try that.

The washer fluid has soap but will increase concentration and try.

Will change the wipers also once.
Old 26th July 2024, 09:35   #9

See if the matrix given below helps:
Attached Thumbnails
Hazy windscreen during the monsoons-ac.jpg  

microscopic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2024, 09:53   #10
BHPian

Used to happen in my Santro & happens in my Harrier as well.
If I don't use AC, then inside fogs up. If I use AC, then the outside of the windshield gets condensed.
I've been setting the ACC to 30C off late & the problem goes away to a great extent. Plus, there's no fogging inside as well.

Hope it helps!
Old 26th July 2024, 10:18   #11
Senior - BHPian

For me, if it is inside moisture, a combination of keeping the window slightly down and ac at 25/26 temperature helps.
If it is on the outside, please use some formula1 or any good brand glass cleaner. It would most probably be due to formation of impure water/ humidity related where the wiper does not clear it cleanly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks