Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2024, 19:10   #16
CSA
BHPian

Re: Hazy windscreen during the monsoons

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkulkarni.2106 View Post
Used to happen in my Santro & happens in my Harrier as well.
If I don't use AC, then inside fogs up. If I use AC, then the outside of the windshield gets condensed.
I've been setting the ACC to 30C off late & the problem goes away to a great extent. Plus, there's no fogging inside as well.

Hope it helps!
Technically if temperature of windshield is very colder than outside temperature than fogging will occur on outside surface of windshield.

Technically if temperature inside Cabin is greater than windshield fogging will occur on inside surface of windshield.

So we have to balance the temperature only.

I know it sounds complicated I will post a video on how to balance it.
CSA is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th July 2024, 21:20   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I use special car glass polish stuff and a special car glass wipe, which I have found to make a huge difference.
How effective are products like Turtle Wax Clearvue?

Link: https://turtlewax.in/products/clearv...n-repel-300-ml
Scarlet_Rider is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2024, 22:40   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
How effective are products like Turtle Wax Clearvue?

Link: https://turtlewax.in/products/clearv...n-repel-300-ml
I used it recently and it is very good during heavy rains. You should apply it on the windscreen, ORVMs, and front windows.

Make sure to clean the glass surface and apply it generously. After applying, it is better to wait for some time (1-2 hours) before going out in the rain.

Also, carry soft tissues with you as you may see distortions from the light on windscreen. So, you have to get out and clean the windshield using dry & soft tissue paper.

It will stay for 3-4 heavy rains or about 5-6 days.
Briarean is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2024, 23:27   #19
BHPian

I follow below procedure in Chikmagalur rainy season. Temperature is around 18-24 degrees throughout the season. This works very well on my s-cross and my father in law's punch. This requires rain visors on windows to work.

Turn on front defogger(recirculation off) with AC on 28 degrees. Fan can be reduced to minimum after 2 minutes. Crack the window almost 2 inches. Assuming the windshield doesn't have any oil smears. This immediately clears up the glass and visibility become excellent.

This way the interior air become just slightly warm. Haven't been able to find any alternate solution yet.
Old 28th July 2024, 20:06   #20
Senior - BHPian

I just cleaned my cars windshield yesterday for this very reason. Im assuming it's a mix of road grime + atmospheric fallout or whatever it is called.

I first cleaned all the windows with plain water and a cloth.
Next step was QD and clay bar on all the glasses.
Followed up by a generous spray of glass cleaner that was left on until I was done with all the glasses, after which I thoroughly wiped it off with a couple of microfiber cloths.
Lastly I used the RainX cleaner + repellent aerosol.
Washer fluid was topped off with water and some extra washer fluid.

The glass is much cleaner now and from my drive today, it does get grimy again but cleans up much better with the wiper and fluid.

Switch to Sonax Windshield washer fluid for the tank as well as spray bottle. It really is the best at cleaning.
Old 30th July 2024, 22:24   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
My friends with Creta, Ertiga, Innova are also reporting the same.

Can our experienced Mumbai Veterans please help.
I think I recently figured a way to tackle this issue which I am facing until recently on my Innova. Last one month has been difficult for me when I was at Mangaluru due to never ending rains. The windshields do not get hazy while driving but at some moment of time, viola, fog covers up the windshield. I thought it might be only with my Innova because most of the times windshield was dirty & I could not make time to clean it.

However this configuration has worked for me: AC blower towards the windshield, AC (cooling) button turned on, Circulation mode is exterior, Windows Rolled Up and inconsistent manual wiper intervention.

Any other settings than above, I could see windshield getting fogged up real quick. Scientifically, what I understand is, when it is raining outside, temperature outside is cool. Most of the times, AC on a car is turned on in India irrespective of the weather. So, the temperature inside gets comparatively warm than the outside ambient temperature. Hence, the windshield attracts fog due to this temperature. However, the above method will ensure the temperature outside and inside is balanced. Any corrections to my understanding is appreciated.

One more hack I read somewhere also came into effect. Cleaning the windshield with a slice of potato till starch is released into windshield. And then pouring water to clean this starch followed by rubbing with a dry clear cloth will prevent fog build up for few hours. This is totally my experience and belief, but whats wrong in trying?

I hope this helps whoever is facing this issue which can be dangerous while driving.

Drive safe!
Sud.
sasta_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2024, 23:50   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000rpm View Post
Guys,

Me and a lot of my friends with cars of multiple manufacturers and vintage are facing a unique issue in the Mumbai Rains.

The windshield during rains always seems to be hazy. Even while using the wiper, the windshield doesnt seem to become clear. (Check video attached).
Hi, I am glad you posted about this issue. Last year on October I travelled to pune for first time from dehradun on my XUV700. The first rain that greeted me on mumbai pune expressway smudged my windscreen in the same way. I have never faced this issue before in dehradun where it rains cats and dogs in monsoon and I also don't have a covered parking. As it happened one of my friend was travelling along with me, since he had arrived in pune 6 months prior on his nexon and he reported similar issue with his windshield after the rain.

Since then my windshield has never been clean, if I have to go out in rain(which is everyday affair in pune) , I will clean my windshield with water first then apply some collin and run with a microfiber towel in circular motion and then rinse it off with water again. Also I keep the air circulation to external setting as it will prevent the condensation from forming on the outside , which tends to smudge the screen for some reason.

There is also this video on youtube Here this person demonstrate using an abrasive wax to clean the window, which seems to work great on the smudges. I have yet to try this method as I am still looking for a good abrasive wax that Hopefully won't scratch my windshield .
Old 31st July 2024, 01:43   #23

Ac on and blower on windscreen for a minute fixes it.
Mostly it’s about balancing outside and inside temperature, because rains ambient outside temperature drop lower than cabin temperature.

This is my go to fix and works everytime in my car, when I didn’t know this trick and fiddled with heat or wiping it manually it made it worse.

Last edited by KarthikK : 31st July 2024 at 05:24.
Old 1st August 2024, 01:03   #24
Senior - BHPian

I tried something today which seems to work well.

Whenever the windscreen seems to be doing recurrent fogging from the outside.

Step 1 - direction on windscreen
Step 2 - Heater on full
Step 3 - blower at max

Wait for 2 mins for the windscreen to clear.

Switch the AC to normal operations after that.

Repeat whenever necessary.
Old 7th August 2024, 12:46   #25
BHPian

I was facing the same issue here in Kolkata a week back. Turned off recirculation and turned on heating but it didn't do much. It was pretty challenging to navigate through city traffic at night with such poor visibility. The next day I cleaned the windshield with soap and water and got the wiper blades changed. Now the problem has been solved.
Old 7th August 2024, 15:19   #26
BHPian

The logical way to manage fogging on the windscreen is as follows :

If the fogging is outside the windscreen. Reduce AC temp and use wipers while using the windscreen wash. In this case the fogging is caused by moisture condensing on the outside of cold windscreen.

If the fogging is on the inside of the windscreen, then turn on AC on, direct the air to the windscreen and switch off the recirculation mode. Thereafter adjust the AC temperature to a comfortable setting (can be turned to a warmer setting as well while keeping the AC on). In this case the fogging is caused by moisture inside the car condensing on the windscreen. The AC works as it dries the incoming air and turning off the recirculation mode ensures that the humid air inside is replaced with fresh air from outside. It is important to note that turning the AC temp to a warmer mode does not affect the AC drying the air and there is no need to sit in a cold car.

In any case the windscreen has to be kept clean and any oil or dirt smudges on the windscreen act as a starting point for condensation of moisture.

There are various solutions like shaving cream, cut potato, tobacco and other solutions which prevent moisture from condensing on the glass, but their efficiency is limited.
Old 7th August 2024, 15:24   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnaps View Post
T It is important to note that turning the AC temp to a warmer mode does not affect the AC drying the air and there is no need to sit in a cold car.
Wouldn't the AC compressor switch off automatically if selected temperature is higher than the ambient temperature as most cars have automatic climate control unit these days?
Old 7th August 2024, 15:28   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
Wouldn't the AC compressor switch off automatically if selected temperature is higher than the ambient temperature as most cars have automatic climate control unit these days?
You are right it will switch off , I guess increasing the temp beyond the ambient temp is not a good idea. However there is no need to freeze inside the car as well , need to be moderated.

Thanks for pointing this out..
adnaps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 16:30   #29
BANNED

One thing i would suggest on addition to all the points mentioned by other members above is with wax and sealants. NEVER , NEVER use carnuba wax on windshield. It will look good and shiny during the day but you have understand that wax is a sticky natural substance that attracts dust like any other waxy substance. This will not matter on paint but in porous structure like glass it will absorb all the dust and lock them into the uneven structures of the glass.

Also please dont USE DISH WAHER liquids,HAIR SHAMPOO, COLINS , they are not made for cleaning car windshields. Get a proper glass cleaner from Wavex, Turtle wax etc. Use them before going out during rainy seasons. This will help a lot and something i learned the hard way for all the above don'ts i have mentioned.

If you want protection the try the Clearvu rain repellent from turtle wax , this will improve visibility, or you can apply ceramic coatings that are available for windshields. I think they will cost 3 to 4k as per my enquiry in one local detailer. It will also be better to keep 2 seperate wiper blades one we can use during summer, and other we can use for monsoons. Once rainy season is over we can change to old blade.
DhinaStark94 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2024, 11:55   #30
BHPian

The issue OP is reporting is surely due to degraded quality of the wipers.

Long back, circa 2006/07 time frame, when I was a newbie driver, this smudging used to cause a lot of issue to me. The solution I found was to wash the windscreen with vim soap
It used to clear any and all oily residue left behind by the aging wipers. Please DO NOT try this!!! I ended up with a scratched windscreen!

The way I manage this now is to first wash the windscreen with soapy water. I prefer those Rs.1 shampoo sachet. Wash and dry the windscreen. Follow this up with colin and clean microfiber towel.

Most important is to replace wipers just before the onset of monsoon.

It also helps a lot to clean the windscreen from inside to have that glassless feel to it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks