Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2024, 12:56   #16
BHPian

Re: ATF change for my Automatic gearbox | How no one seems to know anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Brands like BMW, Ford etc. themselves saying their AT transmission is "sealed for life". That is the highest form of misleading car owners as we usually trust OEMs blindly on their maintenance instructions.

Mahindra seems to be claiming the same "Sealed for life". Hopefully the ASS in Tier 1 cities will know better.
rroy92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 14:57   #17

Skoda recommends changing ATF fluid for Slavia AT every 4th year

ATF change for my Automatic gearbox | How no one seems to know anything-image_123650291.jpg
Oenemaus666 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 15:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroy92 View Post
Mahindra seems to be claiming the same "Sealed for life". Hopefully the ASS in Tier 1 cities will know better.
Not quite true. I have a 2016 Scorpio S10 Automatic. The manual specifically mentions an ATF change at the 6 year / 60,000km service and mentions the quantity as well. I had got this done at Mahindra ASS without any issues and the already smooth TC became even smoother after the change.
s4ch is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 15:30   #19
Senior - BHPian

Another Toyota story

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_sanjib View Post
when they flushed out the old oil, around 1700 ML of oil came out and what went inside was 4 Litres of oil !! That itself convinced me that I took the right decision of replacing the oil. When I asked the service folks as to why only 1700 ML of old oil came out, they mentioned that that the AT gearbox gets so hot that over a period of time, oil gets evaporated !!
ATF flush is different from ATF drain and refill, and to complicate it, the procedure is different for different manufacturers and different type of automatic transmission s.

It is important to first find out if the process is a flush OR drain & fill. If the service centre don't understand the difference, then find one that understand the difference.
If they claim that they plan to do a flush, then confirm they have the right tools and techniques to do the job. Cost of the job varies depending on the method used. (Flush is generally much costlier than drain and fill)

(note : there is process of flushing the ATF by multiple drain and fill, and that typically requires fluid 4 times the ATF capacity of a gearbox.)
arjithin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 17:18   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenemaus666 View Post
Skoda recommends changing ATF fluid for Slavia AT every 4th year

Attachment 2631635
Even in the 10th year, Hyundai service calculator doesn't factor this
Attached Thumbnails
ATF change for my Automatic gearbox | How no one seems to know anything-whatsapp-image-20240724-17.13.18.jpeg  

Joli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 21:17   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachin_cs View Post
This has come up at a right time, I’m quoting my post from another thread-
I am also in the same boat. My daily drive is a grand i10 auto which comes with a four speed torque converter. In the eight years that we have had the car, it has done about 41,000 km. I am wondering if it is the right time to have a conversation with the ASC about ATF replacement and how to go about it.
Hatchback_dude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 21:33   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSA View Post
Hello
Kindly checkout this link for information regarding ATF for Hyundai Cars on there website.

https://www.hyundai.com/in/en/connec...ansmission-oil

Hyundai India website specifically mentions price, grade and quantity for each and every car with Automatic Transmission.

Order specific grade Transmission Oil for your car through Hyundai ASC and change it. Changing Transmission oil and Oil Filter is ridiculously simple method any mechanic with some experience can change it and you can also watch on Youtube yourself for guidance.

Mannol is also a great brand I changed my 2007 Honda Accord Power Steering Fluid as all Honda Cars require specific Power Steering oil designed for use in only and only Honda Cars. I purchased Mannol Honda PSF from Amazon.

If your Transmission Oil is at specific level after warm up I think there is no issue.

Hey there, I noticed you have a 2007 Honda accord. I have the 06 version with the V6 and the notorious power steering rack leakage and weak automatic transmission issues that come with it. I was wondering if you could provide a link to the power steering fluid you purchased as i’m unable to figure out exactly which one I’ll need for my car. And I was also wondering, if you have an automatic transmission that is, if you faced any issues with the transmission like the torque converter slipping in first gear, and if you have changed the ATF with an aftermarket fluid the link to that as well would be really helpful. Although i’m not sure if the ATF is the same between the V6 and the 2.4 if you have that. Thanks in advance.
Old 24th July 2024, 21:48   #23
CSA
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImportedLlama View Post
Hey there, I noticed you have a 2007 Honda accord. I have the 06 version with the V6 and the notorious power steering rack leakage and weak automatic transmission issues that come with it. I was wondering if you could provide a link to the power steering fluid you purchased as i’m unable to figure out exactly which one I’ll need for my car. And I was also wondering, if you have an automatic transmission that is, if you faced any issues with the transmission like the torque converter slipping in first gear, and if you have changed the ATF with an aftermarket fluid the link to that as well would be really helpful. Although i’m not sure if the ATF is the same between the V6 and the 2.4 if you have that. Thanks in advance.
I drive a 2.4 manual Accord and its steering rack leaked within 4 years because of generic ATF used as Power Steering Fluid. I recently replaced it's Steering rack with a used 2015 manufactured rack I purchased from mayapuri. I was so lucky to find steering rack in just ₹12500. A new rack costs around 50 thousand.

Your need rack replacement and it can also be repaired original Honda seals are available for each part of steering rack.

Ask service advisor to check part number of seal kit in parts manual.

Link for Mannol Honda PSF: https://www.amazon.in/dp/B09LSMD815/..._TVQKik8iadWpM

Putting Mannol PSF in leaking rack will not help you damage has been done already.

I am in car repairing business for 5 years I also repair my car myself I replaced almost all parts failed in my Accord since I bought it in early 2021.

Here is also a link regarding Power Steering Fluid advice for Honda Car owners:

I hope this helps.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th July 2024 at 05:07. Reason: Typos fixed. Spacing.
CSA is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 21:58   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSA View Post
Your need rack replacement and it can also be repaired original Honda seals are available for each part of steering rack.
Hello, I also have the steering rack leak and I was quoted around 1 lakh plus from the ASC for a new rack. Obviously I don’t want to spend this much. If you could give some more information on the seals that would be very helpful. I have a very minor leak which I plan on topping up every time it’s low. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by aah78 : 25th July 2024 at 05:07. Reason: Quote trimmed, minor typos fixed. Quote fixed. Please don't quote large posts entirely.
Old 24th July 2024, 22:45   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar_Om View Post
Agreed, in month of March this year i got my Jazz CVT oil changed through Honda ASC and i was out of service center within 2 hours. Total bill was within Rs.3K including material and labour.
Hi, if it's not too much to ask, can you post a picture of your bill. I would like to get an idea for the CVT Service parts. I'll be taking my Amaze CVT for service soon. Thanks.
Old 24th July 2024, 23:08   #26
BHPian

1) Workshop manual. Either of the same car or any other car with the same 6 speed Torque converter.
2) YouTube videos of the same.
3) Universal ATFs are now available in the USA, which can be used in any TC trans.

I got my 4 speed i10 ATF changed. Sourced a liqui moly sp3 full synthetic ATF from a local workshop. The whole pan was removed and cleaned. There are magnets present inside the pan which catch all the metal debris. There was good amount of metal filings in my 48k kms run i10. Filter is accessible after pan removal. Didn't change the filter as AT had no issues, nor was the fluid burnt. Same quantity drained was added back thru the dipstick.
Shifting was same as before the fluid change, only difference was ATF colour changed from dark brown to red (still red at 78k kms).

Last edited by aah78 : 25th July 2024 at 05:07. Reason: Typos fixed.
Taha Mir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 23:47   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Another Toyota story

ATF flush is different from ATF drain and refill, and to complicate it, the procedure is different for different manufacturers and different type of automatic transmission s.

It is important to first find out if the process is a flush OR drain & fill. If the service centre don't understand the difference, then find one that understand the difference.
If they claim that they plan to do a flush, then confirm they have the right tools and techniques to do the job. Cost of the job varies depending on the method used. (Flush is generally much costlier than drain and fill))
Correct and I have been saying this for the last ten years on this forum. Drain & fill is only marginally better than just not refreshing. And it can actually cause damage as the new fluid might loosen up debris and deposits that accumulated on the inside components. Especially the many tiny channels and valves on the “brain” of an automatic are prone to this.

What you need is a flush, which requires special flushing equipment, special flushing cleaning agents and knowledge/compence of the mechanic.

It takes quite some time too. Have a look here:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...ml#post4180547 (My Car Hobby: Jaguar XJR, Mercedes W123, Alfa Romeo Spider, Jeep Cherokee & Mini One)

One of the things you can do is to use your slush box in manual mode every month. Keep it in every gear for 15-20 seconds. That ensures that every channel and valve in the brain is used. Any accumulated debris and gunk will be flushed and ends up in the filter.

Only works on auto boxes with a convertor.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 08:45   #28
Senior - BHPian

Is ATF change applicable for Skoda Rapid TDi DSG ?
I spoke with the workshop manager for Garve Skoda in Pune he says it is sealed for life and says it is applicable only for petrol vehicles. When I told him it is the same gearbox DQ200, he has no clue.
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 10:12   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Is ATF change applicable for Skoda Rapid TDi DSG ?
I spoke with the workshop manager for Garve Skoda in Pune he says it is sealed for life and says it is applicable only for petrol vehicles. When I told him it is the same gearbox DQ200, he has no clue.
Yes, it is. You may have to check your user manual for the timeline. Experts, here, can also chip in with their thoughts.
Old 25th July 2024, 10:35   #30
BHPian

CR-V with ZF AT gearbox requires transmission oil change at 40k/4years. My service centre seemed to know it. It's quite expensive at ~18k for oil.
gnome is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks