Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th July 2024, 13:27   #1
BHPian

Mahindra - Temperature Sensor Issue & Service Center Shenanigans

I own a Mahindra XUV 5OO W11 (O) AT 2021 (Diesel). On Thursday, when I tried to start the car, it showed an error “Engine Temperature High” on the dashboard. I could also feel a grunt when the car started. Waited for a few hours and tried, but it showed the same thing.

Called my insurance provider Acko, and they arranged for a flatbed, and I took it to the service center. The Service Advisor called me and told me that the issue is with the temperature sensor, and it would be fixed under warranty. However, the next day, he called me up and said that this is a rat damage and so it needs to be repaired at a cost of INR 20,000. He shared a video that showed spliced wires, instead of any rat bites.

When I didn’t agree with him and questioned him, he said nothing could be done. I threatened to write an email to Mahindra and cut the call. The GM of the service center called after 20 minutes and said that he had also checked the wire and even though it didn’t appear like a rat bite, the wire is cut and so, it has to be fixed.

When I went to the center and spoke with him, the GM also told that it might be due to heat that the cable snapped. Then I asked him, wasn’t then it a design fault because car will get hot always and so, it shouldn’t it be covered under warranty. He said it is a damage and hence warranty won’t cover it.

I have two questions for the members:
  1. Does this look like a rat damage?
  2. The GM of the service centre suggested that we can just use a tape to join the wires. He said since it is not critical, it won’t matter. However, I need to sign a letter for this. Is this a good idea?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and inputs.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra - Temperature Sensor Issue & Service Center Shenanigans-1.jpeg  

Mahindra - Temperature Sensor Issue & Service Center Shenanigans-3.jpeg  

Last edited by brownkaiser : 20th July 2024 at 13:28. Reason: List
brownkaiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2024, 13:52   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra - Temperature Sensor Issue & Service Center Shenanigans

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownkaiser View Post
[*]Does this look like a rat damage?[*]The GM of the service centre suggested that we can just use a tape to join the wires. He said since it is not critical, it won’t matter. However, I need to sign a letter for this. Is this a good idea?[/list].
There are other members that are far more knowledgeable than me recognizing rodent damage. To me this looks like it was done with a pair of pliers or similar. But maybe a rat bite shows the same.

The wires should be repaired by putting a proper crimp connector on each wire. You can tape it then, but don’t just twist the cable strands into each other. It needs a proper crimp connector.

Good luck
Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 20th July 2024, 15:13   #3
BHPian

Thank you Once again Jeroen for your input. My insurer is doing the survey now and depending on what they say, I'll do accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
You can tape it then, but don’t just twist the cable strands into each other.
Jeroen
Any specific reason why you said that it shouldn't be twisted into each other? I spoke to few guys who are old timers and they said just tape it instead of replacing things.
Old 20th July 2024, 15:34   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Any specific reason why you said that it shouldn't be twisted into each other? I spoke to few guys who are old timers and they said just tape it instead of replacing things.
Twisting two strands of wire into one another is just not a good permanent fix. It might work loose, get corroded and so on. Have you ever seen anything electrical be it an appliance or a car come out of factory with strands of wires just twisted? No, it needs to be fixed properly.

On cars these sorts of crimp connectors are most widely used.

Mahindra - Temperature Sensor Issue & Service Center Shenanigans-img_8134.jpeg

I know in India, very often they just twist the strands of wires. But is is simply not a permanent fix, a crimp connector is. When applied properly that wire will never become loose again and it will also be a good conductive connection too.

Good luck convincing your electrician/mechanic though!
Jeroen is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 20th July 2024, 17:02   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
On cars these sorts of crimp connectors are most widely used.
Thank you so much explaining it to me like a 5 year old and also taking the trouble of going to your garage and clicking a pic.

Have always enjoyed your posts and it'll always be a dream to have a collection like you do. If not the cars, I wish I always have the energy and enthusiasm that you show to learn and teach. Thank you once again.
brownkaiser is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2024, 18:01   #6
BHPian

For any of the readers following this thread, Acko finished their survey and informed me that the damage is not because of any rodent bite.

And so, they have now assigned a IRDAI- licensed surveyor to assess the damage once again.
brownkaiser is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 16:13   #7
BHPian

Quote:
For any of the readers following this thread, Acko finished their survey and informed me that the damage is not because of any rodent bite.

And so, they have now assigned a IRDAI- licensed surveyor to assess the damage once again.
In my opinion, just use crimp connectors and connect the sensor. This damage is not worth your NCB. Also, the wires are definetly cut or pinched somewhere. No rat damage is involved.
vaibhavyagnik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2024, 18:40   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibhavyagnik View Post
the wires are definetly cut or pinched somewhere
If it got pinched somehow, there will be signs of it, like stretch/bottleneck marks around the pinched area. Same goes for the "it might be due to heat" from the GM. Also, not sure how likely is it that the wire snapped off by simply getting pinched.

Either way, assuming no modification was done on the car, it isn't a user-induced damage. Looks to me like they tried to scam OP, instead of fixing a faulty sensor under warranty. It's unfortunate, but also outright funny how cutting the wire with pliers was the mechanic's idea of making it look like a rat did it. The GM should either pay the mechanics more or grow a pet rat.
BullettuPaandi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 19:45   #9
BHPian

Thanks to everyone who has contributed.

There is an update. The independent surveyor has finished his survey and has given clearance to proceed. So, that's some good news.

However, the ASC is now saying it will take approximately 4-5 days for the part to be procured.

I am not worried about waiting or managing without the car but I am worried about leaving my car there at the ASC. Hope things don't go wrong.
brownkaiser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2024, 12:41   #10
BHPian

One more way to recognize rodents is through there step marks on the components like hoses, cover of the engine. There would be some sort of pattern when a rodent is inside. And also can look for droppings in certain places as well.
Next time, if you need to check for dwelling of rodents in engine, you could use these methods.
The wire looks to be cut from a pair of pliers and not chewed away by a rat, if it would have been chewed then there would be unprecise ends of the wires, here the ends look really precise and sharp, so likely it is cut from pliers. Looks like thew ASC did not want to offer a part under warranty to me. Please keep posted about the same, once repairs are done. Hope this helps.

Happy Motoring!
Bsilver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2024, 12:21   #11
BHPian

Sorry everyone for a delayed update.

The part was replaced under insurance. Car has been serviced and returned, only to have some new issues (will explain in a different thread later). However, my issue with excess heating and all has been resolved for now.

Coming to the insurance. Acko has delivered. Like I said earlier, they initiated a check by an IRDAI licensed surveyor themselves, when the first surveyor denied.

Although the process was smooth and they kept me informing till the claim was processed, things became dragging once the garage started waiting for parts. And even though parts were replaced on Monday, they took time till Wednesday to process and give me back the car. I didn't have to do anything physical other than go and collect the car.

One area they need improvement is accessibility. We don't have an option to reach out to the claim manager, for updates or any other communication. We have to raise a call back request or message the manager through the app, and hope that they respond. Even if they call back, it'll be someone from the call center who calls and not the manager. They'll again give an update based on what's in the app and not what is happening at the garage.

All in all, my issue is resolved and since I had taken an NCB protect for 300rs, I'm saved.

Thank you once again to all members for their contribution and guidance.
brownkaiser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th August 2024, 12:47   #12

Quote:
Thank you in advance for your suggestions and inputs.
I have seen this issue on a friends XUV 500 and it's not a rat bite, the wire connected to the temp sensor had snapped along with its cover, somehow got it self stuck between the pump and pulley (not sure how) and was quoted 1800 for that job at ASC.
veyron_music is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2024, 10:19   #13
BHPian

Those wires are definitely cut by pliers. Maybe your sensor was not working, and they didn't want to replace under warranty, so they cut it. Please check the sensor once by twisting the wires temporarily. If sensor still doesn't work you will have to replace it.
Flechazo is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks