Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2024, 00:13   #1
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Switching to high beam dims the headlights

Hi

Have an ertiga 2015 and of late, the low beam front lights turn on normally but whenever switched to high beam, both the lights dim out to very low levels. Have tried checking the fuse box but don't find anything amiss

Can you pls suggest what all to check here?
Thanx
Old 16th July 2024, 13:42   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Switching to high beam dims the headlights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelylibran View Post
Have tried checking the fuse box but don't find anything amiss
Corroded relay terminals - may be
Mr.Boss is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 13:54   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Have an ertiga 2015 and of late, the low beam front lights turn on normally but whenever switched to high beam, both the lights dim out to very low levels. Have tried checking the fuse box but don't find anything amiss

Thanx
I wonder if one or both of the high beam filaments are cut off. Please check the bulbs for any damage.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 16:02   #4
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Boss View Post
Corroded relay terminals - may be
Thanks Mr Boss. I am still a pretty novice hence have attached the image of the fusebox and another image of the fusebox diagram wherein I cannot see any fuse/relay of the HIGH BEAM head light. Can you pls help me locate it?

Thanks
Switching to high beam dims the headlights-whatsapp-image-20240716-16.00.04_704b1525.jpg

Switching to high beam dims the headlights-whatsapp-image-20240716-16.00.04_5856264b.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I wonder if one or both of the high beam filaments are cut off. Please check the bulbs for any damage.
Thanks Ashis, have checked and both the bulbs look fine as they are still equally lighting up but very dim under high beam. Are they different bulbs to the low beam bulbs which are working absolutely fine?

Anuj

Last edited by libranof1987 : 16th July 2024 at 16:11. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Kindly use the Quote+ functionality to quote multiple posts
Old 16th July 2024, 16:34   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Thanx
Most likely a relay or switch problem. If it is faulty, it might not be allowing enough power to reach the headlights. This is a generic issue and can happen to any vehicle. Visit a garage to get it replaced. Sometime just cleaning the connectors and can fix the issue.

This video will be helpful to understand the problem.
HillMan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2024, 16:56   #6
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillMan View Post
Most likely a relay or switch problem. If it is faulty, it might not be allowing enough power to reach the headlights. This is a generic issue and can happen to any vehicle. Visit a garage to get it replaced. Sometime just cleaning the connectors and can fix the issue.
Thanks for the video, brilliantly explained. I will take the car to a mechanic tomorrow.

Just one more thing, my furry pet (a full grown Labrador) happened to enter the driver area inside the area where the beam controller exists just above the accelerator pedal. And the problem started after the dog entered. Could there be something that I can first check under the steering or is it under the hood relay/switch?

Cheers

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 16th July 2024 at 18:09. Reason: fixed quote. Spell, grammar. Proofread before posting.
Livelylibran is offline   Received Infraction
Old 17th July 2024, 00:01   #7
BHPian

Quote:

Just one more thing, my furry pet (a full grown Labrador) happened to enter the driver area inside the area where the beam controller exists just above the accelerator pedal.
In that case it could be a possibility of just a loose connection at the steering stalk.

Most Viewed