Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2024, 19:07   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep Compass: Successfully fixed the stubborn sunroof rattle

5 years and close to 70000km had left my Compass with a squeaky and rattly sunroof. The driving experience of a premium car was completely ruined by the noise coming from the roof on even minor bumps and undulations, and the car felt like a worn down budget Maruti. Repeated complaints to Jeep service did not yield any result. My car’s wind deflector is broken, and they simply washed their hands off saying nothing can be done unless I agreed to replace it (Rs 25k + labour). Fed up, I decided to take the car over to Worlds of Service, Noida, for a solution.

The process of fixing the sunroof requires removing the roof liner to access its mountings. To that end

First, the sunshades were removed
Jeep Compass: Successfully fixed the stubborn sunroof rattle-img_6450.jpeg

Followed by the grab handles
Jeep Compass: Successfully fixed the stubborn sunroof rattle-img_6452.jpeg

The trim of the A, B and C pillars was loosened with a prying tool.
Jeep Compass: Successfully fixed the stubborn sunroof rattle-img_6459.jpeg

And then the roof liner was carefully pulled down
Jeep Compass: Successfully fixed the stubborn sunroof rattle-img_6453.jpeg
Jeep Compass: Successfully fixed the stubborn sunroof rattle-img_6454.jpeg

The roof liner is held in place by heavy duty Velcro type material
Jeep Compass: Successfully fixed the stubborn sunroof rattle-img_6456.jpeg

Top quality roof liner made up of multiple layers with foam sandwiched in between, as well as an additional thick layer of insulation on top. A far cry from the cardboard used by Maruti, Toyota and Honda.
Jeep Compass: Successfully fixed the stubborn sunroof rattle-img_6462.jpeg

The roof liner pulled down, giving access to the mechanical bits of the sunroof.
Jeep Compass: Successfully fixed the stubborn sunroof rattle-img_6460.jpeg

The aforementioned broken wind deflector
Jeep Compass: Successfully fixed the stubborn sunroof rattle-img_6466.jpeg
Jeep Compass: Successfully fixed the stubborn sunroof rattle-img_6471.jpeg

A view of the hidden bits inside: the airbag module
Jeep Compass: Successfully fixed the stubborn sunroof rattle-img_6463.jpeg

All mounting bolts of the sunroof were individually tightened. Many of them were found loose.
Jeep Compass: Successfully fixed the stubborn sunroof rattle-img_6465.jpeg
Jeep Compass: Successfully fixed the stubborn sunroof rattle-img_6470.jpeg

Finally, the sunroof channels were lubricated with spray.
Jeep Compass: Successfully fixed the stubborn sunroof rattle-img_6473.jpeg

Multiple test runs were conducted on broken roads to ensure there is no sound. Once satisfied, the roof liner was then put back in place and everything was closed up. Overall, the job took around an hour and half. They then cleaned up the roof to remove any inadvertent oil or grease stains.

Final result: SILENCE

The wind deflector stays as it is.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (46) Thanks
Old 7th July 2024, 11:14   #2
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass: Successfully fixed the stubborn sunroof rattle

It is a real shame that authorized service centers will not take up the repairs of such issues. They are either incompetent or do not want to undertake it for the sake of replacing parts. My only worries with such repairs is the staining of the roof liners and possibility of the fitting not to factory level. I wished they used gloves when handling and removing the roof liners. What was the cost of this repair?
sudeepg is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 7th July 2024, 11:53   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Top quality roof liner made up of multiple layers with foam sandwiched in between, as well as an additional thick layer of insulation on top. A far cry from the cardboard used by Maruti, Toyota and Honda.
It's stuff like this that really makes a difference in the overall user experience. Sure, there are cheaper alternatives but are they necessarily better ? I have seen very few center screens that can match the Compass. Put it into reverse and you'll be amazed at the clarity and resolution. The doors close with a reassuring thud and you definitely feel that tank-like safety inside. And now this description of the roof liner! A top product let down only by clueless management.
Old 7th July 2024, 11:54   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
It is a real shame that authorized service centers will not take up the repairs of such issues. They are either incompetent or do not want to undertake it for the sake of replacing parts.
As you rightly said, it’s a sorry state after paying 30 ones and the customer has to undergo such a poor experience. Even worse is when the service centre refuses to accept and fix these issues !

I seriously won’t be surprised if one day Jeep has to wind up their operations and move out permanently. They hve called it upon themselves.

Anyway, as the things go currently I see no resurrection of this brand in India. Period.
ashvek3141 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2024, 14:13   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Good job! Must be very satisfying!

With that many loose bolts, I was surprised not to see a lot of rust? You would think with loose bolts there would be water ingress. Or not in this case?

Quote:
A view of the hidden bits inside: the airbag module
I hope you took safety precautions? Which usually means disconnecting the battery and waiting 10-15 minutes before going anywhere near the airbag!

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 7th July 2024 at 14:15.
Jeroen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th July 2024, 19:19   #6
BHPian

Isn't the wind deflector made of hard plastic? Won't fevi kwik be enough to join it back together?
That, or plastic welding.

Last edited by lemedico : 7th July 2024 at 19:20.
lemedico is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2024, 20:30   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I hope you took safety precautions? Which usually means disconnecting the battery and waiting 10-15 minutes before going anywhere near the airbag!
I’m curious, what is the purpose of waiting 10-15 minutes before going near the airbag? Is there a separate battery (or some capacitance) in the airbag circuit that requires additional time to discharge after being disconnected from the car battery?
Old 8th July 2024, 01:52   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordrayden View Post
I’m curious, what is the purpose of waiting 10-15 minutes before going near the airbag? Is there a separate battery (or some capacitance) in the airbag circuit that requires additional time to discharge after being disconnected from the car battery?
It’s not the airbag itself, but also the control unit that have capacitance.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 08:32   #9
BHPian

Should have used a washer or atleast teflon tape before tightening the bolts. Driving on bad roads will loosen them up in no time
Old 8th July 2024, 14:06   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Overall, the job took around an hour and half. They then cleaned up the roof to remove any inadvertent oil or grease stains.
Firstly, I'm glad that your concern is addressed and resolved. IMHO, what I personally believe is that as an auto dealer network business development and operations manager. Sunroofs are more prone to accumulation of dust and other foreign particles. If a garage is aware and technically sound, cleaning and lubrication of sunroofs must be performed during the each visit, while getting the vehicle cleaned at a car wash centre and can be taken care off at home with DIY (damp & dry cloth, a fine smooth brush and WD40) this wouldn't take time beyond 15 minutes on the whole.

OEM's are expanding their reach throughout the country but the dealerships aren't ready to give their 100 percent in developing the right skills of their manpower, leading to FNG's business expansions (this being practically reliable).
Old 8th July 2024, 14:57   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
It is a real shame that authorized service centers will not take up the repairs of such issues. They are either incompetent or do not want to undertake it for the sake of replacing parts. My only worries with such repairs is the staining of the roof liners and possibility of the fitting not to factory level.
You will be shocked how inept the staff is at the authorized service centers. It is just a myth that they are well trained for everything that we expect them to do. It boils my blood every time I go to Nexa to get my vehicle serviced and witness how lackadaisical & careless those people are.
Gupts007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 15:11   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Hope thread locker was used on all bolts so that they do not loosen again over time
Old 11th July 2024, 11:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
]

Multiple test runs were conducted on broken roads to ensure there is no sound. Once satisfied, the roof liner was then put back in place and everything was closed up. Overall, the job took around an hour and half. They then cleaned up the roof to remove any inadvertent oil or grease stains.

Brilliant! May I ask how much this cost? I've got a 2022 Compass that has a creaky/squeaky sunroof which the Jeep service center can't seem to find a permanent solution for.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks