Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2024, 17:01   #1
BHPian

Steering link oil leak in my BMW

My 118i - Mar 2018, 39k miles or 63k kms done, is showing oil leak.. attaching picture for reference. There doesn't seem to be oil dripping,but a lot of misting.

This model had an optional add on of variable power steering .. the one that weighs up with speed.

Please can someone tell me how urgent this is? Don't want to be looking at steering rack replacement
Attached Thumbnails
Steering link oil leak in my BMW-20240618_122244.jpg  

Old 18th June 2024, 19:47   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Steering link oil leak in my BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post
My 118i - Mar 2018, 39k miles or 63k kms done, is showing oil leak.. attaching picture for reference. There doesn't seem to be oil dripping,but a lot of misting.

This model had an optional add on of variable power steering .. the one that weighs up with speed.

Please can someone tell me how urgent this is? Don't want to be looking at steering rack replacement
Are you sure it is the power steering that is leaking oil? Hydraulic oil tends to be of a reddish colour. It also has a very distinct smell and taste.

Check the power steering hydraulic liquid reservoir. If the level is low, that might be an indication. Purely going by colour alone, it looks like you have a regular engine oil leak.

Try and see if you spot where the misting is coming from. Warm up the engine and have somebody turn the wheel left and right whilst observing the steering box. Try holding a white piece of paper down into the engine bay, see if you can catch any spray.

Leaks never go away by themselves. Steering boxes might leak on its seals over time. But those can be easily replaced. Although I am not sure a BMW dealer would do it. They might want to replace the steering box. But that is not necessary if you can get hold of the seals.

But again, first get a proper diagnosis. Without understanding what fluid is leaking from where it is just about impossible to give any sensible answer on what to repair or replace.

The good news: The big known problem with the 118 hydraulic steering is in its electronics control. This is not an electronic problem!

Good luck

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 18th June 2024 at 19:49.
Jeroen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 21:20   #3
BHPian

re: Steering link oil leak in my BMW

Thank you Jeroen.

I didn't get the colour or smell, appeared to be black - will check with a paper.

Almost confirmed that it is coming out of the rubber seal/boot kind of thing that is seen in the pic. Hence I thought it was steering related.

Will try out your suggestions below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Are you sure it is the power steering that is leaking oil? Hydraulic oil tends to be of a reddish colour. It also has a very distinct smell and taste.

Check the power steering hydraulic liquid reservoir. If the level is low, that might be an indication. Purely going by colour alone, it looks like you have a regular engine oil leak.

Try and see if you spot where the misting is coming from. Warm up the engine and have somebody turn the wheel left and right whilst observing the steering box. Try holding a white piece of paper down into the engine bay, see if you can catch any spray.

Good luck

Jeroen
Old 18th June 2024, 23:52   #4
Team-BHP Support

Re: Steering link oil leak in my BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep View Post

Well its probably not from the steering considering your car (along with all other F20s) has an electronic power steering. I don't think its time to panic yet.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2024, 02:25   #5
BHPian

Re: Steering link oil leak in my BMW

Have got an update. Took it to a mechanic. He rubbed over it with his bare hand and said it wasn't as bad as it looked.

It was kind of completely dry. The dust collected was making it look bad.

Though it is apparently from the turbo which sits next to it.

Said not to worry about it. Hopefully he is right. Though a leaky turbo is not good news I guess

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks