Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2024, 10:25   #1
BHPian

My Honda's doors have multiple, mysterious dings

I'm wondering what can be done to prevent or minimise them. I do tend to park my car at a safe distance from the adjacent ones but my car(2017 Honda Jazz) still seems to be picking up dings on the doors(especially the front doors) like there's no tomorrow. My car is always parked in my society's basement.

Now that I can rule out the adjacent car's door banging against my car's door, our roads with all kinds of debris are most likely the source.

However, My car seems to have an unusually high number them. In fact, when observed from an angle, the entire side portion of the car has dings(15-20 in total per side).

Is Honda's sheet metal thickness a suspect here? Innovas and Fortuners have them too but the insanely high number of dings on my car is making it aesthetically very unappealing. The car is used primarily in the city but by no means used as a beater. Your thoughts please.
Dead_Pedal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 10:56   #2
BHPian

re: My Honda's doors have multiple, mysterious dings

Can you share any pictures? Difficult for folks here to comment without looking at what you call 'insanely high number of dings'. Can be many possible reasons:

1. Build quality - Hondas are no tanks
2. Vandalism
3. Some routine path you take with a lot of lose gravel etc.
Rodie09 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 11:06   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Pedal View Post
In fact, when observed from an angle, the entire side portion of the car has dings(15-20 in total per side).
Kids playing with cricket (tennis) ball? dogs perhaps?

15 to 20 dings on the doors, but not on bonnet/fender, points to external impact.
SmartCat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 11:47   #4
BHPian

Tried capturing the dings and they're hard to capture on camera. Otherwise, easily visible to the naked eye. And these are just a few of them I've captured. There are many such all over the car.

And, the car is quite safe in the basement away from kids, pets etc.

Sorry if there's any formatting issue. Moderators, please assist if possible. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
My Honda's doors have multiple, mysterious dings-img_6228.jpeg  

My Honda's doors have multiple, mysterious dings-img_6230.jpeg  

Last edited by Dead_Pedal : 17th June 2024 at 11:50.
Dead_Pedal is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 11:55   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Pedal View Post
Tried capturing the dings and they're hard to capture on camera. Otherwise, easily visible to the naked eye. Sorry if there's any formatting issue. Moderators, please assist if possible. Thanks.
The image reminds me of a video I saw (maybe on IG or YT), of a ram ramming a car door. It was a dark shiny car, like yours, and the ram could see it's own reflection on the door. So he headbutted the door.

Any chance your car is parked on the road where goat or sheep herds move around?
ashis89 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 13:15   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
The image reminds me of a video I saw (maybe on IG or YT), of a ram ramming a car door. It was a dark shiny car, like yours, and the ram could see it's own reflection on the door. So he headbutted the door.

Any chance your car is parked on the road where goat or sheep herds move around?

Not at all. Always at the basement and absolutely safe. After ruling out the adjacent cars causing those dings, that is.
Dead_Pedal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 09:13   #7
BHPian

Re: My Honda's doors have multiple, mysterious dings

How are your regular home/office parking spaces? Nearby parked cars can cause these dents as their doors are opened, hitting on the car parked by the side of it.
Old 18th June 2024, 09:35   #8
Senior - BHPian

While you've mentioned that door contacts from adjacent parked cars can be ruled out in your case, I've seen a lot people being quite insensitive to the cars around theirs and open the doors often banging them in the the adjacent cars.

If you notice, all the ding marks in your pics are vertically aligned. It points to a contact with an object with a vertical edge/contact point (aka door edges )
for_cars1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th June 2024, 10:22   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
How are your regular home/office parking spaces? Nearby parked cars can cause these dents as their doors are opened, hitting on the car parked by the side of it.
The point of impact of the dings is quite possibly due to an SUV door pressing against the side your car. The cluster of the dings as appears from the photos is quite possibly due to the impact of lower edges of an SUV (Fortuner types). Check places where you have parked other than your basement.

Last edited by Axe77 : 18th June 2024 at 10:28. Reason: Poorly typed post; cleaning up. Please review our forum guidelines on posting etiquette.
Mallu64 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 18th June 2024, 10:36   #10
BHPian

Looking at the sharp indents towards the middle it looks more like doors ramming your car. They are surely not mysterious !
Old 2nd July 2024, 14:33   #11

I have those dings on my Dzire in large number. This is because of the cars parked against mine in office parking and other space where others just open the door and hits other car(unintentionally or carelessly).

My question - is this curable by dry denting or repaint is the only option?
Old 2nd July 2024, 16:59   #12

Before MS Baleno, we had Maruti 800. The flimsy built of Baleno was a revelation for both my father and myself when compared to Maruti 800. Multiple similar dings were observed within few days and believe me, we went to MASS just to be sure it was not a defect (naive).

Items like handbags, laptop bags, shopping bags, trolley bags etc. that come in contact with doors while unlocking can cause such dents. On a lighter note, Baleno's roof was dented by mango, that mango was immediately dispatched to make chutney. If these dents are recent, you need to start with cars that are parked next to yours.

My Honda's doors have multiple, mysterious dings-img_0386.jpg
Cow walked past the car when parked
Bhuvan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 22:04   #13
BHPian

Honda build quality is definitely to blame. Honda cars sheet metal is thin and flimsy enough to be dented by someone carelessly hitting it with his bare hands. The dents on your car could be caused by either roadside pebbles flung by tyres, etc or by people opening & slamming the doors of cars parked besides yours.
The real question is, what is the solution?
Denting painting is obviously of no use as the same dents would appear, maybe even the next day.
Would side cladding on all four doors help & would it be aesthetically acceptable?
PPF has limited utility in preventing such dings and there's the cost factor too.
It doesn't look like there's any convenient permanent solution except to leave it as it is and keep build quality as an essential requirement whenever you plan to buy a new car.
Old 2nd July 2024, 22:24   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Same with our Honda Jazz as well as our earlier Celerio. Such dings appear due to smallest of small impacts and most of the times you won't even know when it came and where it came from. The Crysta fares slightly better, with dings appearing only upon some noticeable impact. The skin panels on both Jazz and Crysta aren't so thick while the Celerio had no panel thick.
Old 2nd July 2024, 23:22   #15
BHPian

Had similar minor dents on our jazz due to a hailstorm. Not very severe but still noticeable.
Not sure if any other car would have avoided it.

Discussed with a car painting workshop (wanted even other scratches etc to be removed ). As per them only solution is dedenting and full panel repainting. In my case almost whole car. And their advice is ignore them because original factory paint is superior and don’t mess it up unless the dents are huge or paint is significantly faded away.

Last edited by sirius : 2nd July 2024 at 23:29.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks