Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2024, 13:46   #31
BHPian

Re: Why we love high-revving engines | Pros & Cons of high-rpm motors

To add to this very unique and interesting post, any good high revving NA engine needs to be intricately and thoroughly designed. Great engines are designed with engine cooling being the first priority,as per the late great Paul Rosche, McLaren F1's BMW engine guru. No greater thrill than an exquisitely engineered high rev NA engine singing it's way to the redline! Gordon Murray's T-50 is already one of the modern greats.
Old 8th June 2024, 18:25   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindFreak9874 View Post

The current Verna has a turbo.
That's my bad, I didn't look closely enough. Even the current Verna has a NA option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omkar View Post

2023 Hyundai Verna Review

Powering the new Verna are two petrol engines – a 113 BHP, 1.5-litre naturally aspirated (NA) petrol and a 158 BHP, 1.5-litre turbo-petrol. Both engines are offered with 6-speed manual transmissions, while you get the option of a CVT automatic with the NA petrol and a 7-speed DCT with the turbo petrol.
Old 8th June 2024, 18:38   #33
BHPian

I do love the sound of high-revving engine for sure, this may also be because we are ingrained to associate racing cars.

In an ideal world where transmissions are ideal (extremely fast up low shifts) and compartment is well insulated from own exaust note, does engine rev-range really matter? Maybe it's a simplification I am making.

Yes, racing cars are all petrol but that's because diesel engines high compression ratio puts limits on design/weight and in racing the way to get most power is from a small engine is to rev it to highest possible limits( just like two wheelers do to generate more power because engine size is a major consideration). I am equating loosely diesel to low rpm engines.

Given a not so hopothetical scenario where a low revving (diesel) and high revving petrol cars produce similar power, which would be more fun to drive? Say 30d vs 30i? I think the low revving diesel would be more fun due to mature transmissions (ms of gear shift time) and higher torque at lower rpms (for most people) There is a reason 3L turbo diesels in germans are missed in the forum.

And as mentioned, low RPM means higher reliability.
OffRoadFun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2024, 20:09   #34
BHPian

Here's my (somewhat long) take on revving: Its a sports car lingo that's often misunderstood by normal road car owners.

When people go to test out a new car or drive in everyday conditions - be it on city roads or highways or some ghats - they seldom think of and much lesser actually rev their engines. Revving our petrol engines has its advantages like burning off carbon, smoother (and higher) power delivery and the engine feeling a lot more free running later on. Our cars are also designed to be run at conditions close to the engine redline (the peak output of most petrol engines are listed in the 5000 rpm range), but approaching that redline is needed only in very specific situations.

Here's my personal learning curve on revs: I knew the torque and power curves in theory from my engineering days and have never had a chance to redline the famous v-tec engines. The 1st time I heard "redline" in normal use was from a friend who had an FZ. I used to drive my 1.6 MPI Vento in the 1500-2500 rpm range most of the time, but used to be surprised with the way the showroom guys drove my own car. My 1st experiences with crossing the 3000 rpm mark was with downshifts during overtakes - especially on 2 lane roads. I had a friend with a Polo GT in college and we used to talk about the DSG upshifting at 4000+ rpm in sports mode - and we felt it was probably too much performance. Much later, after watching an autocar video on the city v-tec hitting 100 kph in 2nd gear, I gave redlining a shot at a few signals on highways - and there was no turning back. Whenever I got a chance with free roads, I would hit that 5000+ rpm in the 2nd gear. My current 1.5 TSI does rev to the 4-5K mark occasionally, but I haven't felt the need for power beyond that in normal driving.

While I understand our roads are currently still filled with a lot of small & efficient diesels which are not at all rev happy, I really wish more drivers on our roads learn to overtake a little better - downshift and rev a bit.

On a much lighter note - rev all you like today, for the future is smaller engines, electrics and hybrids!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks