Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2024, 09:58   #1

Which aftermarket suspension brands to use for an overhaul? Monroe Vs Gabriel Vs others

Hi everyone!

I have been facing issues with my car's suspension. It's a Honda Amaze S Diesel (2013) model. The suspension seems fine on plain roads but very noisy on bumpy roads. I visited two local garages and Honda ASC as well. They all suggested a suspension kit replacement. I'm assuming it means the struts and the springs. Honda ASC's estimate is around 36k, while local mechanics suggested to try aftermarket struts like Monroe or Gabriel. They also said Monroe is the actual OE parts manufacturer for Honda (not sure if this is true). I checked Monroe's product catalog, it doesn't have Amaze suspension listed.

1. Any experiences with aftermarket suspension brands?
2. Which would be the most reliable brand for Honda suspension kits?

I know Honda parts are reliable but I don't really want to spend 36k for it. My Dad wants to give suspension reconditioning a try (the mechanics suggested not to do so).

Any suggestions, opinions and experiences are always welcomed!

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by GTO : 2nd June 2024 at 10:14. Reason: Formatting
suhailcbe is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 02:23   #2
BHPian

Re: Which aftermarket suspension brands to use for an overhaul? Monroe Vs Gabriel Vs others

We own a 2013 Amaze VX Diesel, and had to change the entire suspension setup too. But Honda Service centre gave an estimate of whopping 75K. So opted for getting it changed at private garage which quoted 27K. It has been great running so far, but two of the front bushes have been replaced recently because of the failure( Say broken) I guess.
I don't know which brand it is, but if service centre quoted 36K including labour just go ahead with it. You can even claim warranty for the parts I guess.
Thatautoguy46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 08:07   #3
BANNED

Re: Which aftermarket suspension brands to use for an overhaul? Monroe Vs Gabriel Vs others

I guess the ASC’s estimate includes linkages and bushes as well and not just the struts. I would say that if you’re getting a quote of 36k for what I am assuming is a suspension overhaul (considering the age of the car and the fact that it is a diesel which would have added to the wear and tear) from the ASC, you should go for it. Trying to save a few pennies here and there by simply changing the struts won’t help you at all and that is the kind of thing that erodes an old car even further towards its grave. At the end of the day the Amaze was made in India so Honda ASC should not be ripping you off all that much. Why don’t you instead get a list of parts from them that need changing and search for those on Boodmo yourself then you’d be able to tell for sure how much money can be saved. Overall my advice would be that spending 36k for a suspension overhaul from the ASC is completely fair for what is a 10 year old car this is the kind of maintainence that will ensure it lasts another 10 years not trying to see what parts can be skipped and which aftermarket struts to go for instead.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 11:05   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

I have done an overhaul for my 2013 Vento and went for Sachs shocks. I know it is a popular brand for VAG group cars but not sure about Honda. Volkswagen/Skoda OEM brand for the Vento/Rapid/Polo used to be Gabriel. There are couple of detailed reviews of overhaul with Sachs.

36K seems on par if it includes the whole overhaul. Link Rods, Top Mounts etc. Were you happy with the suspension in the initial years? If so, then an OEM overhaul should be fine. Otherwise you can look at after market brands.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 11:22   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhailcbe View Post
Hi everyone!
The suspension seems fine on plain roads but very noisy on bumpy roads.
Why replace the shocks then? Noisy suspension is unlikely to come from the shocks itself. It is far more likely some other part has worn out. Save yourself a bunch of money and find somebody that can find the true cause of the noise. Likely to be a rubber or a sway bar or something simple like that.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 11:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatautoguy46 View Post
We own a 2013 Amaze VX Diesel, and had to change the entire suspension setup too. But Honda Service centre gave an estimate of whopping 75K. So opted for getting it changed at private garage which quoted 27K. It has been great running so far, but two of the front bushes have been replaced recently because of the failure( Say broken) I guess.
I don't know which brand it is, but if service centre quoted 36K including labour just go ahead with it. You can even claim warranty for the parts I guess.
Thanks for the reply! I have already replaced front arm and link rods. The 36K was the estimate only for the damper replacement. I'm not sure if that includes the entire suspension setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
I guess the ASC’s estimate includes linkages and bushes as well and not just the struts. I would say that if you’re getting a quote of 36k for what I am assuming is a suspension overhaul (considering the age of the car and the fact that it is a diesel which would have added to the wear and tear) from the ASC, you should go for it. Trying to save a few pennies here and there by simply changing the struts won’t help you at all and that is the kind of thing that erodes an old car even further towards its grave. At the end of the day the Amaze was made in India so Honda ASC should not be ripping you off all that much. Why don’t you instead get a list of parts from them that need changing and search for those on Boodmo yourself then you’d be able to tell for sure how much money can be saved. Overall my advice would be that spending 36k for a suspension overhaul from the ASC is completely fair for what is a 10 year old car this is the kind of maintainence that will ensure it lasts another 10 years not trying to see what parts can be skipped and which aftermarket struts to go for instead.
Thanks for the suggestion. I should have asked for the list of parts to be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I have done an overhaul for my 2013 Vento and went for Sachs shocks. I know it is a popular brand for VAG group cars but not sure about Honda. Volkswagen/Skoda OEM brand for the Vento/Rapid/Polo used to be Gabriel. There are couple of detailed reviews of overhaul with Sachs.

36K seems on par if it includes the whole overhaul. Link Rods, Top Mounts etc. Were you happy with the suspension in the initial years? If so, then an OEM overhaul should be fine. Otherwise you can look at after market brands.
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked in Sach's catalog. Couldn't find suspension parts for Honda. I'm the second owner of this car. I'm not sure what a good Honda suspension feels like. Honda ASC gave the estimate only for damper replacement. I didn't ask them what parts will be replaced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Why replace the shocks then? Noisy suspension is unlikely to come from the shocks itself. It is far more likely some other part has worn out. Save yourself a bunch of money and find somebody that can find the true cause of the noise. Likely to be a rubber or a sway bar or something simple like that.

Jeroen
Thanks for the suggestion. I have planned to consult a few more mechanics before deciding.

Last edited by Jaggu : 3rd June 2024 at 12:14. Reason: Removing font tags, please avoid copy pasting from external font editors and do a Preview before Submitting posts.
Old 3rd June 2024, 12:01   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone!

I'm assuming it means the struts and the springs. !
Suspension is not limited to struts and the springs. It also includes lower arm, link rod, sway bar/stabilizer bar and the associated bush, strut mount, lower arm bushes, lower arm ball joint in case of your Amaze.

A bad strut is a cause of noise on bad roads. A worn-out lower arm bush also causes noise on bad roads. Blindly replacing all the suspension components is a profitable job for the service centers and mechanics. But it may not be required.
sagarpadaki is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 16:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone!
They also said Monroe is the actual OE parts manufacturer for Honda (not sure if this is true). I checked Monroe's product catalog, it doesn't have Amaze suspension listed.

I also own a 2013 Amaze diesel, currently at 180,000 km. Munjal Showa is the original parts manufacturer. I also tried Monroe and Gabriel struts for the rear, but none of them lasted even 25% as long as the originals.

With struts, you will also need to change the mounting, bearing, and shocker boot. Additionally, check the stabilizer bar bushes, tie rods, and tie rod ends. The last two items are a bit expensive.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 3rd June 2024 at 18:13. Reason: Quote tags
AnkitAnimesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 19:28   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
.. suspension seems fine on plain roads but very noisy on bumpy roads.
You are in the Vatican of Car racing scene in India - Kovai

Find a reliable FNG, ask him to lift the car and show you personally each and every suspension component that is gone bad. I am assuming all your moving rubber bushes are torn/worn out.

The hydraulic shocks and the coil springs hardly fail unless you were drifting or jumping over tall speed breakers.

Get a parts quote for Lower Arm, TRE, Strut bushes, sway bar links, ball joints any other small items. Get prices for both OEM and AFM. Get the prices yourself from 2-3 shops across Coimb.

Ask mechanic for labor quote + time. All this is a 1 day job, 1 mechanic job, labor should not be move than 3500-4000, parts I am estimating 12-14k being Honda OE parts.

When the suspension is out you can take your strut assy to a shock rebuilder and ask him to disassemble the spring from the shock and see the speed at which the shock piston rises out from full compress state. It should be very quick. Else your shock is dead and needs a replacement. Do not rebuild a air + oil shock, it will never last more than a few hours.

Some suspension work done from my car ownership thread back in Hosur...

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4572960 (Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India | EDIT: Sold at 182,500 km & 7 years)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...ml#post4672422 (Living with a (abandoned by maker) Chevrolet Sail in India | EDIT: Sold at 182,500 km & 7 years)
svsantosh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2024, 19:41   #10
BHPian

I had installed Monroe struts in my gen 1 WagonR. The stock struts were soft but the replacement Monroe's were quite stiff and taut. After installing them, the handling became better and more confidence inspiring. Ride quality became stiffer, but definitely feels better than having soft and wallowy ride. I can't guarantee that Monroe's are good, as it may be different for Amaze. It's just my experience with the said brand.
RD410 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2024, 15:52   #11
BHPian

I have had two suspension overhaul jobs done on my 2008 honda city and my current ride the 2012 honda city from external vendors. These have not been upto the mark. They cost me almost half of what ASC had quoted but in a couple of years either the tierods started showing play or the struts malfunctioned.

I am now of the firm belief that for suspensions specifically, please go the ASC way. It might save you money in the long run.
JayKavadi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2024, 18:13   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone!
mechanics suggested to try aftermarket struts like Monroe or Gabriel.
A few years ago I replaced front shock absorbers and bushes of my Chevrolet Sail with Monroe shocks and Technix bush kit. All parts were ordered from boodmo. It's been running without any issues. If iam not wrong, Monroe makes OEM shock absorbers for Renault Duster.
sac23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th June 2024, 20:34   #13

I've overhauled my Chevrolet Spark's suspension with Monroe struts and the experience has been fantastic. Surprisingly, it was 10% cheaper than GM's while being on-par with it. In fact, both came with a warranty of 3 months.
Old 15th July 2024, 22:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
I have been facing issues with my car's suspension. It's a Honda Amaze S Diesel (2013) model. The suspension seems fine on plain roads but very noisy on bumpy roads. I visited two local garages and Honda ASC as well. They all suggested a suspension kit replacement.
Hello @suhailcbe

Were you able to make a decision on the suspension kit replacement. If yes, can you share how did you got it done and what was the cost?

My car Honda Amaze SX Diesel -2014 also needs suspension change and I am planning to visit the ASC to get a quote this weekend.

Tx

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks