Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2024, 11:11   #1

Single metal banging sound when car moves from a standstill

Hi everyone. I own a 2023 Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara and I have been facing a very weird issue almost since buying the car. Once every 30-40 times when the car moves from standstill, there is a very loud single metal banging sound from the rear end of the car. Its as if two pieces of metal are banging against each other. Its almost impossible to purposely replicate the issue. It sometimes happens in reverse sometimes while taking a u turn. But always when the car moves from a standstill. The service center folks are unable to diagnose the issue, partly because they aren't able to replicate it. I am getting worried as it might be something major and I am scared to take the car out for long drives. After digging deep in the internet I found that it might be abs test sound but I'm not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated
rishavch2104 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 12:33   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Single metal banging sound when car moves from a standstill

Please share an audio / video clip as well. That'll help the experts nail this issue.
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 12:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Single metal banging sound when car moves from a standstill

Check your boot area especially spare wheel well for any loose objects (tools, bottles, nut, bolt, or cans etc)
Latheesh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 14:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishavch2104 View Post
Once every 30-40 times when the car moves from standstill, there is a very loud single metal banging sound from the rear end of the car. Its as if two pieces of metal are banging against each other. Its almost impossible to purposely replicate the issue. It sometimes happens in reverse sometimes while taking a u turn. But always when the car moves from a standstill.
I'm not sure, but start from looking at,

If your car has drum brakes at the rear - may be the shoes are stuck with the breaking surface. It can be either rusted to the hub or has a lip on the backside which is catching up on the shoes and making the noise. Put the vehicle on jack stands, remove tires and put lug nuts back on, hammer the drum slowly.

If your car has disc brakes at the rear - Remove the wheel and use a wide screwdriver to push the pads/pistons ALL the way back into the caliper body. Be gentle dont damage your pads with the screw driver. Check greasing of the spring clip. After putting the wheel back on, you will have to pump the brake lever a few times to move the pads back out to the normal position.

You can do this at any tyre mechanic shop to rule out this problem and further monitor your car, if this resolves your issue.
NomadSK is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 19:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post

If your car has disc brakes at the rear - Remove the wheel and use a wide screwdriver to push the pads/pistons ALL the way back into the caliper body. Be gentle dont damage your pads with the screw driver. Check greasing of the spring clip. After putting the wheel back on, you will have to pump the brake lever a few times to move the pads back out to the normal position.

You can do this at any tyre mechanic shop to rule out this problem and further monitor your car, if this resolves your issue.
Thank you for your input. My car has all 4 discs. From what I understand by your suggestion, the piston might be loose and bangijg against the disc plate? I will have to explain it in great depth to the mechanic I'm sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Check your boot area especially spare wheel well for any loose objects (tools, bottles, nut, bolt, or cans etc)
I did check. Initially service center mentioned its the jack hitting against the spare wheel but even without the jack in the car it makes the noise. Whats really intriguing is that the noise happens only once every 40-50 times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Please share an audio / video clip as well. That'll help the experts nail this issue.
I have attached the audio after dozens of tries to replicate the issue. Hope it helps. The sound can be heard at the 5th second in the audio

Mod Note: Please use multi-quote option while responding.
Attached Files
File Type: zip 20240519_150957.zip (112.3 KB, 241 views)

Last edited by ampere : 19th May 2024 at 20:24. Reason: back to back posts merged
Old 20th May 2024, 12:29   #6
BHPian

Quote:
I have attached the audio after dozens of tries to replicate the issue. Hope it helps. The sound can be heard at the 5th second in the audio
Based on the recording you shared, here are my suggestions:

1. Please have the underbody components (subframe, anti-roll bar, gearbox mount) bolts rechecked for torque. Loosen them first and then retorque them according to the company specifications. Also, do check the bolts threading as well for any wear on the same.
2. The noise sounds like sheet metal hitting another component, possibly similar to the inner fender. If the recording was taken from the driver’s side, inspect the front right-hand side of the engine compartment and the inner fender area. This may require dismantling the fender assembly to check for any loose bolts causing the noise.

In conclusion, since this is an intermittent issue, it’s difficult to pinpoint the exact component from the recording alone. A thorough inspection is needed by a dedicated team of senior technicians, including a master technician, denter, and fitter, to perform a root cause analysis.

NOTE: We need to be vigilant on what sort of analysis is the team performing and might take around 2-3 days max if worked dedicatedly. Also, please make sure the Service Manager is in communication directly with you and if possible grab the Master Technician contact details as well for keeping you posted about your vehicle concern diagnosis status (this is the best thing to do to avoid miscommunication).
sameerpatel90 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 10:44   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerpatel90 View Post
Based on the recording you shared, here are my suggestions:

1. Please have the underbody components (subframe, anti-roll bar, gearbox mount) bolts rechecked for torque. Loosen them first and then retorque them according to the company specifications. Also, do check the bolts threading as well for any wear on the same.
2. The noise sounds like sheet metal hitting another component, possibly similar to the inner fender. If the recording was taken from the driver’s side, inspect the front right-hand side of the engine compartment and the inner fender area. This may require dismantling the fender assembly to check for any loose bolts causing the noise..
I mentioned all of this to the service manager and it seems like they are more vigilant this time. Last time I went for the same issue they dismissed pretty fast saying that its the jack hitting the spare wheel. Thank you for your input.

It seems like they have found the issue. They say that the steering arm was hitting against the dust cover of the disk. They have fixed it for now. I would again like the guidance of senior members to understand why this happened and if I should pursue getting these parts changed. From what the service manager told me there is nothing to be worried about now. Attaching a video of the same
Attached Files
File Type: zip VID-20240521-WA0018.zip (11.01 MB, 14 views)
rishavch2104 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2024, 11:28   #8
BHPian

Quote:
It seems like they have found the issue. They say that the steering arm was hitting against the dust cover of the disk. They have fixed it for now. I would again like the guidance of senior members to understand why this happened and if I should pursue getting these parts changed. From what the service manager told me there is nothing to be worried about now. Attaching a video of the same
Good to see they found it pretty soon. There is no need to replace any of the components.
The dust plate is related to brake rotors to prevent from foreign objects hitting the same.
After driving a couple of kilometers if there is no noise observed, you can be rest assured with the vehicle's reliability and road-worthiness.

HAPPY MOTORING!
sameerpatel90 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2024, 13:45   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Hi everyone. I own a 2023 Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara
Is your car a Automatic? If yes, please check this video.Attaching a video link where the owner had also faced a similar problem with Grand Vitara AT.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks