Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th April 2024, 16:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Hole in the muffler

Hi

I have a Figo2010 Petrol version that has done 1.4L.Car is still doing fantastic. The muffler has developed a hole now, due to which it now sounds like a race-car. The ASC obviously does not repair silencers,they only replace.They placed an order with Ford Chennai for a replacement, but it is a back order and they have no idea as to when the part would become available,it could take weeks or months.

In the meantime, I am not sure which option to go with:

-Leave it as is and continue with the sound,however at times it feels like the ignition is going to shut down and then suddenly it turns itself back on.Any issues that i might run into if it is left as is till the replacement is done?

-MSeal the hole and see if it holds.Does MSeal really do the work?

-Weld the hole,but i hear that welding increases the corrosion etc.

Any recommendations that people might have is more than welcome.Thanks in advance.

Video attached
ranjitp1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 19:38   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Hole in the muffler

I faced similar issue.

Mseal is only a temporary fix. Welding is easier said than done. In all probability, while removing the silencer, there is a likelihood of fresh damage to the rusted parts - as your car is nearly 15 years old and the mileage on it.

Best option is to scour for a new silencer, it should help you to clear FC renewal without any hassle.
vrprabhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2024, 19:56   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
-MSeal the hole and see if it holds.Does MSeal really do the work?

-Weld the hole,but i hear that welding increases the corrosion etc.
Cannot close a rust hole in the silencer with Mseal.

Welding is the option to go by, will work out cheaper than a new suspension. You'll need to find a good independent garage to get things like these done, if you're planning on retaining the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Welding is easier said than done. In all probability, while removing the silencer, there is a likelihood of fresh damage to the rusted parts - as your car is nearly 15 years old and the mileage on it.

Best option is to scour for a new silencer, it should help you to clear FC renewal without any hassle.
Isn't it good that we find out about the hidden rust spots when we remove the silencer? Give the silencer and the rest of the underbody a good look and go ahead with repairs and rust proofing.

Do not worry about FC renewal because of silencer welding. No RTO will crawl under the car and see if the silencer is brand new or welded!
Old 17th April 2024, 22:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

The easiest option is to weld it. But it is going to be tricky since the hole is on the top. The 2010 models had one single pipe from after the cat-con all the way to the tail pipe, which included the muffler.
If you were in Bangalore, we could have worked out a deal since I have a 2010 petrol Figo exhaust system with me since I sold my car with a free flow exhaust.

Last edited by tharian : 17th April 2024 at 22:13.
Old 17th April 2024, 22:27   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

I have a Figo2010 Petrol version that has done 1.4L.Car is still doing fantastic. The muffler has developed a hole now, due to which it now sounds like a race-car. The ASC obviously does not repair silencers,they only replace.They placed an order with Ford Chennai for a replacement, but it is a back order and they have no idea as to when the part would become available,it could take weeks or months.
Weld the hole, apply rust converter to entire silencer, then apply high temperature paint.

Exhaust will last for another 15 years.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th April 2024 at 19:47. Reason: Typos
scorpian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 10:38   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
Weld the hole, apply rust converter to entire silencer. Then apply high temperature paint.
Exhaust will last for another 15years.
Can someone recommend a good rust converter? I sourced one from Amazon, but it felt like diluted acid and I feel duped..
Old 18th April 2024, 10:59   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Hi

Any recommendations that people might have is more than welcome.Thanks in advance.
A temporary fix is to close the hole using a patch of high temperature hose / rubber and hold it in place using a metal hose clamp (picture in link below). This will keep things tight until you receive the correct spare.Welding of the affected area is a proper and long term fix.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/71RJ6lOH8fL.jpg
maheshm619 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 12:40   #8

Re: Hole in the muffler

A lot of people would pay for that sound. On a serious note as the part is quite old, there is a probability of further damage while trying to repair it. I would in this situation source a cheaper local/used part which can do the job.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th April 2024 at 19:47. Reason: Please use emoticons provided in forum text editor. Thanks.
Old 18th April 2024, 13:27   #9

Quote:
The muffler has developed a hole now, due to which it now sounds like a race-car.
You could try JBWeld. I used it on my Super Meteor and it still holds.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 18th April 2024 at 19:46. Reason: Quote tags
Old 18th April 2024, 13:31   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hi
Does MSeal really do the work?
I took the mseal option on my Bike few years back. Mseal cannot withstand the high temperature and stars cracking in a few days and then comes off. Also it was causing a pungent smell while running, may be it was emitting some poisonous gases as well.

After couple of failed attempts with mseal , I took the bike to a mechanic who welded the holds and it is still holding pretty well. If the pipe is beyond repair, the only option is to replace the part.
d.w.w. is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 13:46   #11
BHPian

Replacement of the exhaust pipe is the only solution. Rest everything is stop gap arrangements, which mostly won't last long.

The high temperature flue gases coming out of the engine ( CO2, NO, HC, P, SO2, Pb) and combine it with moisture in the air makes it the extreme environment to deal with. That's the reason the exhaust pipes are made of different metallurgy (probably high steel alloys) and not carbon steel, this is also required for regulatory environmental compliances too. The materials used in the exhaust system must be resistant to high-temperature oxidation, external salt corrosion, and internal acid/base corrosion due to the corrosive fumes.

For welding you will need a special electrode to weld repair it and I don’t think unless you know the PMI of the exhaust material one can do the satisfactory weld repairs outside the OEM window. One can see the generic high temperature profile from manifold to tail pipe, higher temperature = higher corrosion.
Attached Thumbnails
Hole in the muffler-img_7645.jpeg  

Last edited by NomadSK : 18th April 2024 at 14:14.
NomadSK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 16:22   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
Replacement of the exhaust pipe is the only solution. Rest everything is stop gap arrangements, which mostly won't last long.
I fully agree with you. No quickfix solutions like mseal, welding or any rubber etc with heat resistant paints etc will work. I have faced similar issues but nothing worked.

Please replace the silencer. You can even try for a good one sourced from the scrap market. If such an used silencer is treated with two good coats of heat resistant paint it can last. Before applying paint prepare the surface to get proper coats.

With a corroded silencer not only does the noise level rise, but the car's fuel consumption too marginally increases. And beware, there are fuel lines, brake lines, wiring (possibly) and the petrol tank. Trajectory of the hot emission is unpredictable and in all possible directions, post emanation. The hot emission with particulates/ burnt gases leaking from an unlikely spot could even deface or melt these components. And for the petrol tank -it's explosive.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 18th April 2024 at 16:29.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 19:53   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Isn't it good that we find out about the hidden rust spots when we remove the silencer? Give the silencer and the rest of the underbody a good look and go ahead with repairs and rust proofing.

Do not worry about FC renewal because of silencer welding. No RTO will crawl under the car and see if the silencer is brand new or welded!
What I mean is -
1. If there are too many rust spots, how many can you weld? Even if you weld them, is there any fail proof mechanism to ensure that it holds well? Please see NomadSK's reply below.

2.Right. RTO official won't check the silencer, unless he finds something fishy? I am pretty sure those guys know the issues with old cars, and may turn a blind eye if the car is otherwise OK. But, what about the PUC check? Won't the emission test result be affected by the rusted silencer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post

For welding you will need a special electrode to weld repair it and I don’t think unless you know the PMI of the exhaust material one can do the satisfactory weld repairs outside the OEM window.
Correct. And, there's no guarantee that a new hole won't develop elsewhere after the present hole is welded!

If OP wants to hold on to the car for some more time, a replacement is the best option....
Old 18th April 2024, 20:37   #14
BHPian

You may try this exhaust repair wrap. I know someone who used it and found the results to be satisfactory. Seems like an interesting concept. Read the user reviews on Amazon. No harm in trying out the same. There may be some demo videos on Youtube too.

Looked up the product and the link is as below.

https://www.amazon.in/dp/B09BBHSJ9Z/...43XZAST9ZFNEPD
Old 18th April 2024, 23:17   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptaHead View Post
You could try JBWeld. I used it on my Super Meteor and it still holds.
I can second that, it held on, on my Classic 350 also, till I could source proper OEM spare.
You will need to properly clean and apply it. Maybe even remove the silencer/ pipe if access is poor. My silencer had proper chrome, with a couple of holes (1 to 8mm) and this product was reasonably heat resistant.
Have used it for other fixes also and it holds well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks