Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2024, 12:09   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny: Propeller shaft rubs against car underbelly under extreme articulation or load

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUVolens View Post
- for already produced batches, the retro repair can only be a stiffer suspension.
or limit the suspension travel / total articulation. By using these spring buffers, what is it called - Roger-Grab or something right, on the bottom of the rear coils? Don't know whether anyone has done that yet or not
arjab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2024, 14:22   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

I would think a simple bumper stop is kalk what is required. Stiffer suspension will alter the handling.

Jeroen

Last edited by moralfibre : 28th June 2024 at 19:49.
Jeroen is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2024, 17:51   #48
BHPian

Re: Maruti Jimny: Propeller shaft rubs against car underbelly under extreme articulation or load

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
I'll be honest here, I have zero expectations from this company when it comes to such topics. I'd be really surprised if MSIL will issue a recall.
I've worked with a MS dealer in the past. During my tenure, I have witnessed massive recalls and part replacements like full suspension & rear axle (for Baleno), Air bag modules (Swift/Dzire 3rd gen), fuel pumps, etc. Since MS is aware of the issue and also since 5D Jimny is a global product, you can surely expect a recall.
RD410 is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 29th June 2024, 16:52   #49
BHPian

I was about to buy a Jimny 2 days ago because the dealer was giving me a good discount for instant booking. When I was going to make the booking he backed out and lowered the discount amount so I said I'll revert the next day after checking other offers. Then I came home and read this thread and I have decided not to buy this car. Thanks very much to the person who started this thread and everyone else who contributed for bringing this to the public"s attention. You have prevented potential buyers from being scammed. It is shameful how mainstream automotive media is sold out and does not highlight such issues. India's most famous auto journalist and editor was recently plugging the Jimny on his magazines YouTube channel in an obvious PR excercise. This guy has zero credibility and should be cancelled by all gearheads.
BombayDragon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2024, 11:01   #50
RDS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombayDragon View Post
I was about to buy a Jimny 2 days ago because the dealer was giving me a good discount for instant booking. When I was going to make the booking he backed out and lowered the discount amount so I said I'll revert the next day after checking other offers. Then I came home and read this thread and I have decided not to buy this car. Thanks very much to the person who started this thread and everyone else who contributed for bringing this to the public"s attention. You have prevented potential buyers from being scammed. It is shameful how mainstream automotive media is sold out and does not highlight such issues. India's most famous auto journalist and editor was recently plugging the Jimny on his magazines YouTube channel in an obvious PR excercise. This guy has zero credibility and should be cancelled by all gearheads.
I don't think anyone is getting scammed because of this issue yet. There is quite a possibility that the salesman doesn't even know the issue, and it is yet to be communicated after testing. This is not a widely known issue just yet.

Further, because Maruti has formally registered a complaint, that speaks in favor of Maruti compared to some other manufacturers who might not even agree to lodge a complaint, and just correct the issue in upcoming models.

I understand your disappointment because of salesman not honoring the word, but this vehicle still is great fun and Maruti will most probably come up with recall because the issue has been acknowledged.

Last edited by RDS : 1st July 2024 at 11:10.
RDS is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2024, 23:16   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDS View Post
I don't think anyone is getting scammed because of this issue yet. There is quite a possibility that the salesman doesn't even know the issue, and it is yet to be communicated after testing. This is not a widely known issue just yet.

Further, because Maruti has formally registered a complaint, that speaks in favor of Maruti compared to some other manufacturers who might not even agree to lodge a complaint, and just correct the issue in upcoming models.

I understand your disappointment because of salesman not honoring the word, but this vehicle still is great fun and Maruti will most probably come up with recall because the issue has been acknowledged.
When I said getting scammed I was referring to Maruti the car maker and not the dealer. I am 100% sure the dealer is not aware of this issue however Maruti does know about this and the bare minimum they can do is too halt production until the problem is fixed. This issue is more serious than people seem to think - in a worst case scenario the prop shaft could break and cause a serious accident and in a best case scenario the propshaft rubbing against the chassis will peel away the paint and protective rustproofing thereby exposing bare metal (we have already seen that in the images on this thread). Given our environment the Road conditions and the quality of metal used by our car makers this is an open invitation for rust in what is essentially a brand new car.
BombayDragon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2024, 10:17   #52
RDS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BombayDragon View Post
When I said getting scammed I was referring to Maruti the car maker and not the dealer. I am 100% sure the dealer is not aware of this issue however Maruti does know about this and the bare minimum they can do is too halt production until the problem is fixed. This issue is more serious than people seem to think - in a worst case scenario the prop shaft could break and cause a serious accident and in a best case scenario the propshaft rubbing against the chassis will peel away the paint and protective rustproofing thereby exposing bare metal (we have already seen that in the images on this thread). Given our environment the Road conditions and the quality of metal used by our car makers this is an open invitation for rust in what is essentially a brand new car.
So you mean to say the company should stop production when they have not fully investigated the problem whether it is a batch issue or issue with few batches, what is impact of problem or exactly when it occurs (full compression etc.).

There are Jimnys that have traveled far and wide without facing this issue as well as this forum suggests. Also, I assume they will correct the issue in upcoming batches before going for recall assuming issue exists with all vehicles.

No Prop shafts have broken or accidents have been caused by this - people have done trips to remotest locations even with 5 people in Jimny!

I am surely in favor of communication coming out as soon as testing is complete.

However, business does not work based on emotions and impulse based decisions.

One way would be to mail and ask them the latest on this and when is it getting addressed in newly manufactured vehicles, assuming you are still interested in Jimny. Otherwise, if your decision is final not to get one, well, that is also ok!

Last edited by RDS : 4th July 2024 at 10:30.
RDS is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 6th July 2024, 10:24   #53
BHPian

Was considering booking a Jimny when I came across this thread. Sent an email to MSIL on 1st July with a link to this thread, stating that I was a prospective buyer but my purchase was subject to clarity on the propeller shaft concern.

I received a reply within a couple of hours acknowledging the receipt of the email and asking for some additional details like City, State and Dealer Name. Not sure how this was relevant to the issue. I responded immediately giving the City and State info. MSIL has not responded yet.
shauncolaco is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2024, 14:31   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shauncolaco View Post
....received a reply within a couple of hours acknowledging the receipt of the email and asking for some additional details like City, State and Dealer Name...
Don't be surprised by first response arriving fast. Like call centres, those emails are outsourced to an external agency. As per their SOP they will take standard details and then forward to someone in that region/state, most probably principal dealer or somebody from Maruti's closest regional office. Next call/email will take a few days to weeks depending on how complex the query (to answer) is. This is per my experience across Tata, Maruti, Harley, Honda, BMW, Royal Enfield and Yezdi. Latter two were fastest responders for second level too and were able to help.

-BJ
bj96 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2024, 08:50   #55

Has there been any new development in the complaints lodged?
Sukh4030 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th July 2024, 04:07   #56
BHPian

When driving my relative's Jimny in the hills last week, we had a slow climb up a steep stretch of about 100 metres with an altitude difference of about 20 metres within that distance. We were 4 adults on board and I recall hearing some sort of groaning noise from the underbelly of the Jimny during that climb.

The 12 month service is coming up next month and I'm planning to keep a look out for the propeller shaft rubbing issue while the car is on the lift at the service centre.
1.2GT3GT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2024, 11:48   #57
BHPian

Is it true that the newer Jimnys have a narrower shaft?

Unfortunately I didnt take a picture of mine (July 23 make) when it was raised at service station. But later when a 24 model was raised, it appeared narrower and may be tapered a bit. Again, cant confirm if this is my eyes playing tricks or Maruti has been tweaking things in the back ground.
IB290 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks