Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2024, 21:28   #1
BHPian

IRVM Mirror broke off and took a chunk of glass with it

I was trying to trying to tighten the loose rearview mirror, but the base came off and took a chunk of glass with it. Any suggestions on what should I do?

Found this on YouTube.

IRVM Mirror broke off and took a chunk of glass with it-pxl_20240401_143626357.jpg

IRVM Mirror broke off and took a chunk of glass with it-pxl_20240401_143620753.jpg

IRVM Mirror broke off and took a chunk of glass with it-pxl_20240401_143559321.jpg

IRVM Mirror broke off and took a chunk of glass with it-pxl_20240401_143548973.jpg

IRVM Mirror broke off and took a chunk of glass with it-pxl_20240401_143537785.jpg

Last edited by toroid : 1st April 2024 at 21:31.
toroid is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st April 2024, 22:05   #2
BHPian

re: IRVM Mirror broke off and took a chunk of glass with it

This is a first. It seems the mirror part can be removed from the base, or worst case you may be able to get a replacement bracket.

I don’t think it is wise to drive with the glass in that condition. Why not just file a claim with insurance and let them take care of windshield replacement?

Last edited by SixPistons : 1st April 2024 at 22:08.
SixPistons is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 11:26   #3
BHPian

Re: IRVM Mirror broke off and took a chunk of glass with it

This will definitely need some repair and if you just slap the rear view mirror on it without addressing it, it might trouble you down the line later. I remember, when I used to live in Australia & sell cars for a living, yeah :-), we used to encounter chips on the windscreens of trade in cars that needed mandatory repairs before we could flip them.

The windscreen guys there, would come with their tools stick a tube like thing on the spot that needed to be fixed and then they would put a glue like substance in that tube and let it sit for a while. This gel like thing would then solidify leading to prevention of the chip/crack from worsening. I don't know if such things are available here in India or not. You can probably try calling some windscreen replacement guys who only specialize in Windscreens and they should be able to guide you better. It is best to seek some professional help here IMO. Good luck.
Gupts007 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 11:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Get the windshield replaced. The chip is pretty deep and it would have created a weak spot in the glass which will just expand into a crack over time and give up anytime. Instead spend that 4-5k for a new windshield and you dont have to worry further.
audioholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 11:50   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPistons View Post
Why not just file a claim with insurance and let them take care of windshield replacement?
Will it be covered under insurance?
I have zero-dep comprehensive policy. I'm not sure if this will be classified as wear and tear damage.
Old 2nd April 2024, 12:05   #6
BHPian

Check this thread out on T-BHP, if that helps in to repair your case.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/diy-d...hip-crack.html (DIY Repair: Windshield Chip & Crack)

Personally, I would either replace the windshield as the cracking/chipping is near the edge of the glass, which is considered as a structural part of the glass/car and can also propagate with time or take somone's expert technical opinion, if repair can be done with zero concerns.
NomadSK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 17:04   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Get the windshield replaced.
Rightly said. If a windscreen develops even a hairpin crack, with further usage the crack grows and grows till the windscreen is rendered unserviceable. No repairs of any kind need to be attempted. Please replace the full windscreen and get the IRV mirror fitted by a professional.

Yes, checking for insurance claims with your insurer is suggested.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 17:31   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by toroid View Post
Will it be covered under insurance?
I have zero-dep comprehensive policy. I'm not sure if this will be classified as wear and tear damage.
It should be, ideally covered. But they might also classify it as wear and tear. Probably someone on the forum can suggest.

Definitely get it replaced as others mentioned. Another thing you could do is to try and find out from the ASC if this could classified as an insurance claim.
SixPistons is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2024, 18:10   #9
BHPian

From my perspective, prolonged usage of a cracked windshield can pose various risks, which is why timely repair is crucial. The crack in the image and videos appears to be deep. The size of the crack may expand with prolonged use owing to the effects of temperature and pressure. Don't forget that the windshield supports the vehicle's roof. A cracked windshield weakens its support.

So I suggest that compromising on safety in a car can have serious consequences, so it's important to prioritize safety and get the windshield replaced.

Last edited by inner_roadster : 2nd April 2024 at 18:25.
inner_roadster is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 06:44   #10
BHPian

Thanks all.
I got the windshield replaced. It was covered by insurance.
toroid is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks