Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2024, 19:44   #1
BHPian

Horrendous Windshield Experts experience | Damaged entire windshield glass border

Never thought I’d face this situation.

The matter goes back to first week of March 2024. My windshield developed a crack and I looked for replacement options. Called up Mahindra service centre and they told me I’d have to leave the car for 2-3 days at their centre and there was no other option. I could not do that as this is my primary vehicle and it’s quite difficult to manage without it. So I thought it’d be better if I ask Windshield experts as they are an associate of AIS.

They told it’d take less than 2 hours for the job. Quite contended with the response, I approached them.

Store was Windshield Experts, Neelam Bata Chowk, Faridabad.

They told me it’d take several hours for the Insurance to be approved. I was okay with it as long as I get to keep the car. I am very uncomfortable in leaving my vehicle with somebody else. So, I went in the morning, they took the pictures and they told me they’d call me when and as the approval comes.

After the approval, misery started. The person who performed this job is indifferent to the vehicle’s paint, or how the job is performed. It took him less than 30 minutes to ‘complete’ the job. He took a blade, inserted it in the space between frame and glass and started moving his hand in the along the border of the glass.

Took him less than 10 minutes to separate the windshield from body. He taped in the glass to prevent any movement. While coming back home I started hearing wuussshh (air coming in) sounds from the glass. I brushed it off thinking it was because of the tape as they were stuck on the glass and wind might be moving through them.

Nope, that was not the cause which I realised again after a week when I drove the car. After removing the tapes the sound was still there.

I called the store up, he told me to get it over and he’d check it again. As I had some days off, I went on Thursday - 28th when the other guy checked and agreed the problem is there. He told me to get the vehicle on Saturday morning as there won’t be rush. I agreed.

As agreed upon, went over, waited for 4 hours as they did not have the string to separate the glass. Apparently it is essential as it separates glass without breaking. As I was standing where they were changing the windshield I found several deep scratches in the paint.

I asked the person why so many, he told me it’s natural as the sealant is tight so they used the blade and as it’d be covered with Butyl, so no worries there.

What I discovered after installation of the glass is this:

The scratches are still there and it is the perfect scratch for formation of rust as it is the water channel during monsoon season. When I asked him what he did, he rubbed it off with a black permanent marker. Stopped him there itself.

Now, the problem I face is this:

Horrendous Windshield Experts experience | Damaged entire windshield glass border-1.jpg

Horrendous Windshield Experts experience | Damaged entire windshield glass border-2.jpg

Horrendous Windshield Experts experience | Damaged entire windshield glass border-3.jpg

Horrendous Windshield Experts experience | Damaged entire windshield glass border-4.jpg

Horrendous Windshield Experts experience | Damaged entire windshield glass border-5.jpg

Horrendous Windshield Experts experience | Damaged entire windshield glass border-6.jpg

Horrendous Windshield Experts experience | Damaged entire windshield glass border-7.jpg

Horrendous Windshield Experts experience | Damaged entire windshield glass border-8.jpg

Horrendous Windshield Experts experience | Damaged entire windshield glass border-9.jpg

This is the ending I am afraid of.

Horrendous Windshield Experts experience | Damaged entire windshield glass border-smartselect_20240330_184307_brave.jpg

Please suggest what should I do? If I go to service centre they’d remove the glass again and considering the Butyl used I am pretty sure they would break it. Secondly, the paint too would cost a bomb considering removal and installation of glass plus labour plus paint charges. All this for no fault of mine. I even paid a portion for this glass.

I am bitterly disappointed this time. :(

TL;DR: Got my windshield replaced from windshield experts and they returned with deep-deep scratches along the perimeter, which now are impossible to correct without removing entire windshield glass again.
batish is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 13:49   #2
BHPian

Re: Horrendous Windshield Experts experience | Damaged entire windshield glass border

Gosh, really feel for you, man.

Just go with MnM, going forward. I had my that's windshield replaced at MnM Harbir, Chandigarh, in 2 hours, taped and ready to go. While they used horrible adhesive on the glass and asked me to drive slowly with the windows down, it has held up perfectly to multiple pressure wash seal tests and the quality of work done was tip top.

This is the risk we run with anyone but mainstream service centers. Insurance cost me 2k flat, being a diesel, at MnM. Cashless.

I'm concerned about your paint and metal rust now.

P.S. On the plus side you'll now get a thicker windshield (I cannot say whether windshield experts are using the improved glass) as part of a part change circular I read on their iSmart tool. Even so, my second windshield has chipped, but refuses to break.

Last edited by wooka : 31st March 2024 at 13:50.
wooka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 14:34   #3
BHPian

Re: Horrendous Windshield Experts experience | Damaged entire windshield glass border

The correct way now is to remove this glass, repaint the exposed scratched areas to protect them from water which will eventually cause rusting.
Once prepped and painted the glass needs to be fixed over.
If you ignore it chances are in a few years you will have rusting issues and may have to re do the entire frame work.
For peace of mind and if you plan to hold on to the car for a long time get it corrected from a reputed paint shop or a.s.s.
scorpian is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 14:39   #4
BHPian

I had to change the windscreen once well over a decade ago because I had stupidly parked my car under a coconut tree.
The new windscreen was expertly put in but there was a small nick in the paintwork which I hadn't noticed because it was almost impossible to see unless you looked very carefully.
There was some rusting in that area which I mistook for dirt.
Long story short, this thing became a constant pain in my neck and I tried various fixes all of which failed. Eventually the rusted part of the frame bulged out and cracked the windscreen.
Now, this did not happen overnight and you're going to be fine for the most part but the risk exists.

Last edited by Roy.S : 31st March 2024 at 14:40.
Roy.S is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st March 2024, 20:51   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
TL;DR: Got my windshield replaced from windshield experts and they returned with deep-deep scratches along the perimeter, which now are impossible to correct without removing entire windshield glass again.
@batish Oh god, it is very sad that you had to face this!

Whenever any work related to the body comes, always advise you to stick to the ASC. I do understand the problem you had with leaving the vehicle for few days there, but it is always worth it. Had the ASC done any mishandling/incorrect job, you can screw them officially, but with FNG it is quite difficult.

My 2011 Innova had the water leakage issue from the 'A' pillars. I took it to Amana Toyota, Kasaragod and asked them to look into the matter. I had advised them to try their best to avoid the front windshield from breaking while removing and they did as I had requested, my luck maybe?! Yes, I too had to bear the labor and the charges of the parts but trust me, I am already clocking miles without even worrying of any water leakage anytime soon.

If you consider your vehicle so close to you & want to keep for a long time, it is advised to take to the ASC for body work or major service to avoid any unnecessary damage caused by unexperienced and not-so-popular FNGs.

Ride safe!
Sud.
sasta_rider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 09:36   #6
BHPian

@batish, windshield experts are very good in their work since they have been doing this specific job for many years. Had a very good experience and referred many people to them, that's in Gurgaon. In fact ASC (Ford) did a poor job, their adhesive is inferior quality and they returned the car interiors dirty, while WE did the job in an hour in a closed workshop so no dirt can enter the car. They also cleaned the area below windshield nicely while the glass was removed.

Yours seems to be a case of unprofessional job by that specific person or that outlet. I have never seen using blade for separation, wire with handles is used for that. Blade is used for may be minute cleaning. If the seal is watertight now, do check if the paint can be touched up with primer and sealant for rust protection. Should not be visible. Your seal is new so windshield can be removed but no one will ever guarantee it will not break.
Old 3rd April 2024, 10:07   #7
BHPian

While I truly sympathise with the experience that batish had to undergo, I think it ultimately comes down to the skill (or lack, thereof) of the technician assigned to the job. It's like the case of a few rotten apples spoiling the bunch.

The one time I had to get my windscreen replaced, I did a lot of research on the Internet, spoke to a bunch of people, and eventually decided to go to a small but highly recommended shop selling a variety of automotive glass. The technician cut out the sealant using a long, pliable blade and with such precision that the blade never once scraped the body. His work was deft and quick, the sign of someone who has spent a considerable amount of time perfecting his craft.

The above is just one example where nothing went wrong. But then, we all encounter varying levels of incompetence in our day-to-day lives. We try our best to limit the consequences and move on.
Old 30th April 2024, 09:03   #8
BHPian

I am sorry you are facing this issue. Windshield experts are usually windshield experts and do a better job than the ASC. I’ve changed my windshield a few times with them in Chennai.

Looks like you’ve been hit by a bad technician. Take it up with the windshield experts - the main call center and follow up by email. Mention that you have already posted on social media about your experience and give them the link to this thread. They should get your scratches painted and glass replaced!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks