Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2023, 22:43   #1
BHPian

Turbocharger Issues - Repair or replace the car?

Hello Everyone,

I own a Toyota Corolla Altis D4D G from 2011.

It is my first car and I bought it pre-owned in 2018. However, now the expenses are starting to pile up.

I got new tyres (all five) about two months ago and replaced the entire air conditioner system as well (Compressor, Condenser, Cooling Coil, servo motor). After all this, I was expecting smooth riding at least for this year. However, that was not to be.

The engine started making a small whistling noise ever since the air conditioner was replaced (Denso original parts but at an FNG). I recently got it checked it out at the showroom and they told me that the noise is from the Turbocharger and it needs to be replaced.

That was really shocking. I thought Toyota engines were reliable. I really didn't expect this. They have quoted Rs. 1.04 lakhs for replacing the Turbocharger, which frankly doesn't make financial sense to me.

I checked with the FNGs, and the ASC for options. The ASC stated they can get it repaired from their known vendors for Rs. 35000.00 plus fitting charges of Rs. 5000.00 and will give a standard 6 months warranty on the same.

I approached a known FNG and he said that a turbo charger is never the same after fixing. The best option is to replace the turbo charger with a new one or get a good turbo charger from a scrapped vehicle, which will again cost about Rs. 45000.00. Getting one won't be so easy as Altis are not scrapped very often.

I tried looking for after market alternatives (Mahle, Garrett, TEL), but they are not easy to find and I cannot determine how much they would cost or their reliability.

So, I looked at other options. I looked at whether to go for a new car. I found the Honda City ZX MT to be particularly enticing, and the ADAS features are very useful.

I also looked at the Skoda Slavia 1.0, which costs about the same but doesn't have ADAS. I am really keen on the ADAS as it is very useful on the long highway drives that are quite frequent for me.

The difference in the two brands is quite stark. Skoda is an amazing car but their reliability and customer service really scares me. On the other hand, the City is an amazing car but the engine is quite ordinary and build quality is not as good as the Slavia. I am not looking at Hyundai, or Maruti at all. and I don't want an SUV as they are very expensive and I prefer Sedans.

Hence I approach the collective wisdom of this amazing community, as I have often done on several occasions before, and request you to kindly advice me what should be my course of action.

Get the turbo charger fixed or replaced, or get a new car. If yes, then which one? I have been thinking over this for the past week and simply cannot make up my mind, so I request you all to kindly help me.

Thank you.
pareekvirendra is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 25th November 2023, 23:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Turbocharger Issues - Repair or replace the car?

I'll share my experience.
My indica had a turbo oil leak exactly 6 years ago in 2017.
My regular mech quoted for a new turbo, or gave scrap turbo as an alternative.
At that time, through some team bhp contacts, and my own research, I found that turbo energy limited, which was less than an hour from my house in Chennai sold replacement and provided service. When I called them, they said they didn't have any new pieces, but could offer remanufactured items. When I told them I had a non working unit, they said they could overhaul it for substantially less.

You can get more details here in this thread of what I eventually did
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post4313158 (Indica V2 Turbo - Turbo Failure)

I've been running with that overhauled turbo for 25+ km and 6 years so far, and haven't had any turbo related issues.

I believe as long as you can find an oem service centre for your turbo, they should be able to remanufacture it to the correct spec. My turbo was repairable. I am assuming yours is too. I could be wrong.

Last edited by greenhorn : 25th November 2023 at 23:51.
greenhorn is online now   (25) Thanks
Old 26th November 2023, 00:20   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pareekvirendra View Post
The engine started making a small whistling noise ever since the air conditioner was replaced (Denso original parts but at an FNG). I recently got it checked it out at the showroom and they told me that the noise is from the Turbocharger and it needs to be replaced.
Can you get a second opinion. Whistling sound could also be a plumbing leak somewhere. When AC was repaired, something during removal or refitting hit something and caused a leak?

Last edited by libranof1987 : 28th November 2023 at 08:47. Reason: Minor typo
humyum is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 26th November 2023, 12:21   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Can you get a second opinion. Whistling sound could also be a plumping leak somewhere. When AC was repaired, something during removal or refitting hit something and caused a leak?
I think this is very sound advise. It could be just a leaking gasket. Worth getting a second opinion.

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 26th November 2023, 15:46   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humyum View Post
Can you get a second opinion. Whistling sound could also be a plumping leak somewhere. When AC was repaired, something during removal or refitting hit something and caused a leak?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
I think this is very sound advise. It could be just a leaking gasket. Worth getting a second opinion.

Jeroen
I did get a second opinion from a FNG. However, he was earlier employed in the same Toyota ASC, so he has friends there and may have given the same opinion that they have without checking.

However, this advice is extremely sound and I think it will be better to get it checked from the same place where the ac was replaced. Maybe he will take a more objective look at it and confirm what actually needs to be done. I too think another opinion might help.
pareekvirendra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2023, 16:45   #6
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Maybe he will take a more objective look at it and confirm what actually needs to be done. I too think another opinion might help.
Should this not go when A/C is switched off? I don't think, a dealership to be so lame to confuse a sound from Turbo vs an A/C compressor.

Either way, I will suggest sticking with the dealership and getting a new Turbo if that helps solve the problem but before that ask them to have a look at the engine and transmission too or if they do some checks on old cars, get everything done so you are aware of what other expenses can crop up.
Turbanator is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th November 2023, 17:10   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Should this not go when A/C is switched off? I don't think, a dealership to be so lame to confuse a sound from Turbo vs an A/C compressor.

Either way, I will suggest sticking with the dealership and getting a new Turbo if that helps solve the problem but before that ask them to have a look at the engine and transmission too or if they do some checks on old cars, get everything done so you are aware of what other expenses can crop up.
Oh the sound is definitely coming from the turbocharger. However, it only started after the AC compressor, condenser and other related parts were replaced, so there is a possibility that they may have loosened some tubes or pipes at that time, as has been suggested here.

The dealership suggested getting the turbocharger repaired or replaced, depending on what I was comfortable spending. So, now I guess I will take another opinion from the guys who replaced the AC components and hope that it is indeed some piping or tubing that is amiss.

Lets see what they say.
pareekvirendra is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2023, 17:16   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Oh the sound is definitely coming from the turbocharger... so there is a possibility that they may have loosened some tubes or pipes at that time, as has been suggested here.
No, a coincidence perhaps.

You should definitely try scouting for one in the Delhi market. I know a lot of these are being scrapped. But don't pay too much and make it sure you pay only after a few days.

How much time has passed since you got this car? Is there a way to reduce this noise by say putting a different type of oil? I mean the person who sold to you, can you check with him about any abnormal sounds?
Turbanator is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 26th November 2023, 17:47   #9
BHPian

Quote:
No, a coincidence perhaps.

You should definitely try scouting for one in the Delhi market. I know a lot of these are being scrapped. But don't pay too much and make it sure you pay only after a few days.

How much time has passed since you got this car? Is there a way to reduce this noise by say putting a different type of oil? I mean the person who sold to you, can you check with him about any abnormal sounds?
I have had this car for about 5 years now, so nothing to do with the previous owner. I know for sure this sound wasn't there before the AC was replaced.

However, it could be a co-incidence. The Toyota people told me that the turbochargers for Altis do go bad. Well, tough luck then I guess. Delhi market will be too far for me as I am in Maharashtra. However, I have been told that I can get one in the Mumbai market. Lets see if I can find one there.

When you say don't pay too much, how much do you mean? Do you have any idea how much a turbo charger should cost? The FNG guy here told me that he can get one such from another Altis for about Rs. 40000, which I find to be too expensive. I think I can get a new aftermarket one for about the same price.
pareekvirendra is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th November 2023, 18:01   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have had this car for about 5 years now, so nothing to do with the previous owner.
I missed this part. OK, was this car left with the AC guy for a longer duration and did they keep the engine on for an extended duration? Not as a direct cause but sort of brought forward the impending failure.

Quote:
The Toyota people told me that the turbochargers for Altis do go bad.
Right, so you will have to find one. It should be an easy fix.

Quote:
The FNG guy here told me that he can get one such from another Altis for about Rs. 40000, which I find to be too expensive. I think I can get a new aftermarket one for about the same price.
No clue, but I will pick a newer one over the used one if the differences are not day and night, say only if it's max. 25% max of a new one.
Turbanator is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th November 2023, 18:16   #11
BHPian

Quote:
I missed this part. OK, was this car left with the AC guy for a longer duration and did they keep the engine on for an extended duration? Not as a direct cause but sort of brought forward the impending failure.

Right, so you will have to find one. It should be an easy fix.

No clue, but I will pick a newer one over the used one if the differences are not day and night, say only if it's max. 25% max of a new one.
This is my thought exactly. First I will get the piping rechecked and if it is really gone, then can mpare the prices and see what can be done.

Off topic, it is overwhelming to receive such personalised responses from so many people whose threads I have read over the years. I have read so many of threads about you and those written by Jeroen, among others. Now to receive your replies on my little problem is simply amazing.

I am humbled by your attention.
pareekvirendra is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 26th November 2023, 19:00   #12
BANNED

Did the SVC or FNG check for excessive oil deposits in the turbo or intercooler hoses or just the intercooler? Replacement of the turbo sounds absurd. Turbo core kits are available from most reputed brands. Any competent FNG can help you with this job. While they are at it, The hoses can be checked and replaced if damaged. Toyotas are reliable but these are running repairs and replacing the car due to such repairs doesn't sound unless you are upgrading. The cars you are looking at are from a segment below the Altis.
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2023, 20:07   #13
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

I don't know if it is related. I have whistling sounds from the stereo when I accelerate. These go completely when I switch off the stereo. The car is Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 VTT, which is turbocharged. This faint noise gets everyone confused, as if turbocharger is gone.
Now, I am thinking of getting the stereo replaced.

Sometime back there was a video made by a youtuber on this topic and I can completely relate to it.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2023, 20:10   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asit.kulkarni93 View Post
Did the SVC or FNG check for excessive oil deposits in the turbo or intercooler hoses or just the intercooler? Replacement of the turbo sounds absurd. Turbo core kits are available from most reputed brands. Any competent FNG can help you with this job. While they are at it, The hoses can be checked and replaced if damaged. Toyotas are reliable but these are running repairs and replacing the car due to such repairs doesn't sound unless you are upgrading. The cars you are looking at are from a segment below the Altis.
Actually, Now I am myself wondering what did they see. I checked for oil deposits below the car and can't find any (below the intercooler). I didn't know what a turbo core kit is or that it is a running repair (wear and tear part?). I will look for it and see if this can do the job. The FNGs are unreliable here, so will need to take the car to my hometown to see if the FNG there can solve this.

As for looking at cars from a segment below, the segment in which my car was doesn't seem to exist any more, atleast for Sedans. We have SUVs, that are all too expensive. So I was looking at these cars. To be honest, my 12 year old car still seems better than these brand new cars when it comes to space and comfort. And, since it is my first car, I really don't feel like parting with it as yet.
pareekvirendra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2023, 00:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

The turbo core kit is the main turbine assembly in the center and the active part of the turbo. If you have leaky seals, you probably just need the seals replaced. That will cost just a few K. That is the cheapest solution, particularly if you are planning to sell off the car.

You can take a call on replacing the core kit if you see damage in the blades, or if the core is affordable to you as the price of a no compromise repair.

What I did, and what I would suggest is, (assuming the turbo is indeed at fault)
1. Find a turbo service center that can confirm that they can work on your turbo. From google, it seems like yours needs a GTB1241 17201-0N041 Turbo. Please validate this yourself, I am not an expert in this area, just trying to help you out. Please do not hold me responsible if this is the wrong part
2. get your FNG to remove the turbo. Courier or transport the turbo to the rebuilder. Check with them how long it will take them to rebuild it. In my case, it was a day or so.
3. Return, get it reinstalled and test it at your FNG.

yours seems to be a garrett, and based on their site
https://www.garrettmotion.com/turbo-...pacific/india/

You have a garrett distributor in your town
Quote:
S D Auto Spares
Shop No 13, Bldg No 5 Apna Bazar, Jalna Road Aurangabad - 431001

India
and a Garrett Authorized rebuilder in Pune

Quote:
SHREE SAMARTH TURBO REPAIRING WORKS
MANIK MOTI COMPLEX, SHOP NO.11 OLD MUMBAI-BANGALORE BYPASS KATRAJ CHOWK PUNE
Pune
Maharashtra India
Tel: 9373296596
I would say call them, particularly the rebuilder in pune, if they have parts for your model, and some quotes if yes

Last edited by greenhorn : 27th November 2023 at 00:48.
greenhorn is online now   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks