Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2024, 11:42   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Air Suspension Explained | All you need to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by adasisthefuture View Post
With upgrade of Alloys to 21 inches, GC increases by 13mm i.e from 152 mm to 165 mm. In such a scenario, the suspension has to compress more, not less in my limited understanding as the GC is more than 152mm (165 mm to be precise) with 21 inch alloys and the system has to adjust the suspension downwards, not upwards if I have understood it correctly.
Yes, I think we are saying the same.

I made this simple drawing (Because I don't do PowerPoint anymore

A very simple representation of your car. I choose trailing arms as part of the suspension. Whatever suspension you have, the principle remains the same.

The air suspension keeps a certain ride height. It measures by the angle of a suspension component versus a chassis component. This is the angle alpha.

When you mount larger tyres (middle image) the angle alpha remains the same, so the ride height increases (in your case with some 15mm).

If the air suspension system is adjusted for the larger tyre, it will lower the ride height back to its original value. The angle has become smaller (Beta is smaller than Alpha).

Your shock/springs/bellows need to compress (distance B is less than A). A better term to have used would have been, that the suspension components get shortened on their upwards-free travel.

Air Suspension Explained | All you need to know-img_8557.jpg

Hope this helps

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2024, 13:54   #32
BHPian

Re: Air Suspension Explained | All you need to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
When you mount larger tyres (middle image) the angle alpha remains the same, so the ride height increases (in your case with some 15mm).

If the air suspension system is adjusted for the larger tyre, it will lower the ride height back to its original value. The angle has become smaller (Beta is smaller than Alpha).
Thank you so much for the detailed response and taking the trouble to draw an image representation for me.

So in conclusion, what would be your final advice ? If I upgrade to the 21 inch alloys which I am doing to gain additional GC, will my ride height increase or will it remain the same ? The upgrade costs around 5 lacs so if it doesn't raise the ride height, it is not worth it. Thank you and sorry for the botheration.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks