Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2023, 02:40   #1
BHPian

Jeep Compass | Electronic Woes

Need help. I acquired a used 2017 Jeep Compass Limited diesel last year at roughly 55k. The car had a few niggles which were sorted by repairing - the AC heat exchanger, overused clutch, and new tyres. The car dutifully ferried me for another 20k without a hitch.

I had a minor scare with electronics malfunctioning, loss of power in the steering, and fuel cutoff to the engine, which was promptly corrected by the Jeep Chandigarh workshop. They identified the reason was a loose bus connection ECU to the engine.

I beached the car over an open manhole while commuting to the office in Delhi. The aforementioned problems returned en masse. I had to tow the car to a private workshop, the electronics malfunction flare was temporarily put to rest, however, the malfunction returned while driving back home a week later. The car was sent back to the workshop and the cause identified was a fused capacitor in the electronics box as well as the wiring having an exposed section which was shorting the circuits causing ECU to shut the car down. After almost 3 weeks of maintenance, the car was returned to us and ran for a month without problem before resurfacing again with one additional problem. The start-stop button could only start the electronics but would not switch off the car. The car as we speak is in the workshop again and I am looking now for additional solutions to this problem.

Any advice/ insights/ ideas would be helpful.
Old 12th November 2023, 06:22   #2
BANNED

Re: Jeep Compass | Electronic Woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlord View Post
After almost 3 weeks of maintenance, the car was returned to us and ran for a month without problem before resurfacing again with one additional problem. The start-stop button could only start the electronics but would not switch off the car. The car as we speak is in the workshop again and I am looking now for additional solutions to this problem.

Any advice/ insights/ ideas would be helpful.
Oh No, another Jeep Compass woe, Try and get the issues sorted out with Jeep-authorized dealerships, if the issues keep recurring, then I would advise you better get it off your hands while you can, otherwise, the financial impact of these continuous repairs will be quite cumbersome.

The initial lot of the 2017 Jeep Compass had quite a fair share of niggles including:
Vehicle stalling while driving
Engine not starting
Fuel spilling out while filling
Electrical system problems
Engine and engine cooling problems
Transmission issues such as harsh downshifting, slips, and intermittent “shift to park” warnings
Vehicle shutting down while driving
Excessive oil usage

So, if the one you bought is with these issues, sad to say, the owner who got rid of it in the first place, must have done so on account of these as well.
bijims is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th November 2023, 14:45   #3
BHPian

I actually have a 2017 Jeep petrol automatic and it seems fine to me. Except for the ABS sensor that failed in between (and the lackluster performance and mileage). But other than this there wasn’t any electrical issue and I hear the pre facelift is more reliable than the face lift.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 12:15   #4
BHPian

Update:

The car is restored for now. Replaced the fuse and reset the software. The wiring was intact. The car is performing okay - I've made a couple of short trips (15 - 20 km).
Took @bijims' advice and I have made a request to my car guy to look for potential buyers.
Old 26th July 2024, 10:20   #5

Hello fellow bhpians, would like to share an ordeal with you all and need your advice on the same

I have found a pre-owned Jeep Compass Diesel (longitude) 2018 model on Cars 24, which is having an odometer reading at ~41,000km at a quoting price of 11lacs. The car is available with service history with nothing significant apart from the general and regular maintenance.

I am looking for a car which I am going to retain for 4-5 yrs. and will sell the car. My daily commute to the office is around 30 kms (including to & from both). Along with a once in a month return trip to my home town (approx 800 kms).

Does it make sense to opt for this vehicle as I don't know about the Jeep's car at all like their maintenance expenses, the cost of owning a Compass or is there anything specific to look before buying this car.

Need some advice for the same

Thanks in advance

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks