Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2013, 11:00   #826
BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by narsi_6989 View Post
We have been using the dried tobacco leaves to keep the rats at bay.
Rats just chewed through my radiator coolant return pipe and the coolant tanks top. Noticed it today morning when I was washing the car.

Not sure If I can get my hands on dried tobacco leaves; isnt beedi just tobacco leaves? unpacking and leaving a couple of beedi's should do isnt it?

Am thinking; few in a couple of match boxes with lot of holes in them; and stick them to the few places where rats usually land; may be use a double sided tape and and stick near the wheel well so that they done step in.
Old 4th March 2013, 11:14   #827
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnerr View Post
Rats just chewed through my radiator coolant return pipe and the coolant tanks top. Noticed it today morning when I was washing the car.

Not sure If I can get my hands on dried tobacco leaves; isnt beedi just tobacco leaves? unpacking and leaving a couple of beedi's should do isnt it?

Am thinking; few in a couple of match boxes with lot of holes in them; and stick them to the few places where rats usually land; may be use a double sided tape and and stick near the wheel well so that they done step in.
I think you can easily get the dried tobacco leaves from the same petty shop where you get the beedis. I am not sure how well the beedi will work compared to tobacco leaves.
Using a double sided tape is also a very good idea which will make sure that the powdered remains do not get into engine parts.
narsi_6989 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 18:50   #828
Senior - BHPian

Rats chewed away the wires leading up to the spark plugs in my polo and i has to shell out 1500rs for getting them repaired.

After 2-3 days of analysis i am now completely confused what i should do to prevent the rat menace.

Few options which i found, but do not know if they work or not, i have listed them below.
I would really appreciate if anyone can comment on the below options if tried before.

1.Tuf kote rat repellent
http://www.ebay.in/itm/4-x-RAT-REPEL...item3ccf0dea01

2.Bird-X Defence (US import! )
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Bird-X-Nature...item5651bc90a6

3.Battery operated Ultrasonic device (This is also US import!)
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Battery-Opera...item5651bca71c

4. Mortein Rat kill

5. Pepper Oil - Where is it available? Can i use my sister's pepper spray instead?

6. Naphthalene Balls - do they really work? (My papa says it works for him in bhubaneswar. But the rats in Bangalore look like wwe wrestlers in comparison)

7. Chilli Spray - Heard it somewhere.. not sure if it works.

8. Diesel mixed with water spray/wash ?

9. WD40 ?

10. Tobacco leaves - where do i get these? I am an ex-smoker btw, but never saw leaves being sold anywhere.

11. SpeedSatya's solution - brushes for cleaning bottles. How do i install them? Also, if the engine is hot, the plastic bristle may melt?

12. Cleaning the surroundings - Started doing it!

I love my car, and now i am getting sleepless nights due to the rat menace.

Plssss Help!!!

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 14th March 2013 at 09:57.
Old 14th March 2013, 08:55   #829
Senior - BHPian

Came across this news pice in TOI about how the rats in Vapi detroyed the electrical wiring of a Toyota Fortuner costing the owner about 40K in repairs and about rats chewing off the side curtain airbags of Volvo XC90 SUV which costed the owner about a lakh rupees for replacement. Its not just these high end cars which were affected by rat meance but even the lower segment sedans and hatches not being spared.

Unfortunately the repairs due to rodent damage is not covered under any insurance claims and people in Vapi have been resorting to tobacco leaves and other measures to counter the rat menace even in high end cars like Mercs.

More details in the link.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/18913384.cms
Old 14th March 2013, 16:13   #830
Distinguished - BHPian

As previously reported, we have had very little evidence of rats since taking out an annual contract with the pest control people. Although they don't appear to do much on each weekly visit, it seems to be enough.

Or... Are we giving credit to the wrong people? 6.00am, one day last week, my wife saw what she thought might be a mongoose in the garden! It seems it had a bushy tail, and no rat has a bushy tail.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 10:57   #831
BHPian

Team,

Came across this listing in the classified section , has anyone used this product , if yes then does it do what it says ?

http://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy-...epellent.html/

please share your feedback

Cheers
Old 17th March 2013, 14:48   #832
Distinguished - BHPian

Peter, go back a few pages: at least two of us have tried it, GTO and myself. In the end, we both ended up calling in pest control guys.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2013, 15:50   #833
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Peter, go back a few pages: at least two of us have tried it, GTO and myself. In the end, we both ended up calling in pest control guys.
Indeed , thanks for the prompt response
Old 21st March 2013, 14:59   #834

hi,

guy finally found the solution to the rat problem. product name is "Rat guard" developed by metafin solutions.

i bought this products from a website which sell car care product www.okloot.com

Advantage: it actually works
Disadvantage: BAD packing

regards
sameer
Old 23rd March 2013, 18:26   #835
BHPian

Hi everybody.
I have a Beat and faced a major problem
I have started keeping 2 brushes with wire bristles and havnt noticed any rat droppings in the last 2 months.
When my wife asked for brushes at a hardware store the shopkeeper immediately mentioned that people buy such brushes to keep the rats away.
Hope dont have a problem in future.
Regards
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2013, 19:05   #836
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77 View Post
Hi everybody.
I have started keeping 2 brushes with wire bristles and haven't noticed any rat droppings in the last 2 months.
Regards
Can you please post some pictures of those brushes and some other details like where did you buy them from etc., so that all bhpians are benefited. Thanks.
Old 24th March 2013, 14:45   #837
BHPian

They look like this : http://ancientindustries.com/shop/pr...bottle-cleaner
Old 25th March 2013, 10:47   #838
BHPian

Hi All

I recently joined this forum, and have started reading the most important aspect which is plaguing my car today.

Rodents have started liking my car so much that I ended up going to the service station 4 times in 6 months time frame. :-(

To prevent even worse damage, I installed a rat mesh from the Honda Service Center for the car and paid around 5k. It is supposed to cover both front and rear part of the car, though the engine area cannot be covered due to the obvious reasons.

I have started using the product from Tufkote, but looking at the responses in this discussion, I will not rely on them at all.

Some options look quite promising without having to do much:

1) Diesel mixed with water spray
2) Powdered pepper
3) Naphthalene balls

My problems started when I had to go out of station for around a month, and came back to find my front left blinker not working. Of course the car told me with the fast blinking for the left turn, and also found the indication in the dashboard that something is wrong with some part of the car.

I heard these rodents also chew up tyres?? That would be aweful indeed.

Looking for to hearing more on this.
Old 31st March 2013, 23:43   #839
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mroptimist View Post
Can you please post some pictures of those brushes and some other details like where did you buy them from etc., so that all bhpians are benefited. Thanks.
Hi.
Sorry I have not replied nor uploaded the photos.
My servant has photographed the brush photos but unfortunately he is unable to load on my lappie.Dont know the reason.
Have asked him to send to my daughter's mobile and then I will do the needful.Give me a day or two.
Incidentally it has steel wires/bristles and not plastic ones.The bristles are sharp and rats can't sit on that.This is the same type of brush which homes used to keep for rubbing the floors of bathrooms before plastic came on the scene.
Regards
faustus77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 14:52   #840
BHPian

My 4 month A4 got chewed up badly by Rodents. I found out when my Oil Sensor showed a failure indication. Audi Top assist towed my car.

From a lot of Drivers in my surrounding area ( who gathered when the Flat Bed came), I was told to pack raw Tambaku ( Tobacco that you mix with chuna and not the processed Baba 120 type) in thin muslin cloth and hang on the wires all the way down with thread. Apparently the tobacco smell is a Rat deterrent. I'm Going to try this one.
You need to change the tobacco every week or so.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks