Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2011, 18:17   #571
Senior - BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Never faced an issue with the bloody rats for the last decade and more until now.

Last week i realized the left side indicator (on the side panel) on my M800 was not working. Popped the hood and there was a roti which had become papad, some more food which some rats had stored in my car's bonnet. They were planning a grand party i guess.

The rats had chewed out the wire that the indicator is connected to. Thankfully no other damage.

Got the car cleaned out and placed the mortein rat poison cakes around the parking area. Looks like it worked.

Have to keep these cakes around on a regular basis. If they chew anything on my ninja its gonna cost me a bomb.
Old 19th July 2011, 19:04   #572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samm View Post
Peter, I'm thinking of buying the varna repellent system for the parking area. Quote is 1650/- and will cover 300sqft as per them.
Is your repellent system working fine? Do you recommend buying the varna system? I badly need something to handle the rats
Samm , you mention 300sqft so am assuming that its not the auto model that iam currently using as the auto model does not indicate area coverage specifically ..
MASER ELECTRONICS (P) LTD., auto model, vhfo model, standard model, tailor made model, torrant, streame, miste, transducers, rat repeller, rat repeller manufacturers, rat repeller suppliers, rat repeller traders, rat repeller stockists, rat repeller

Also a word of caution , I have noticed that its just mice which this sytem succeeds in deterring away from the car engine bay , juat a few days back Ive noticed the engine bay being messed around by packrats , google search yields that the ultrasonic systems do not succeed in deterring the packrats which are basically wild rats , I just managed to kill one such rat yesterday in the engine bay...you wont believe it was literally sitting atop the repellent system and staring right at me.

Mortein cakes and all sort of rat poisons seem to be a source of food for packrats somehow or the other.

Hence in case you have an infestation of packrats in and around the vicinity of your car then nothing will help you , ultrasonic repellents will be obsolete, I know this is not good news but try to reassure myself that in case the packrats need shelter then they can have it as long as they dont chew anything
Peter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 10:34   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
Also a word of caution , I have noticed that its just mice which this sytem succeeds in deterring away from the car engine bay , juat a few days back Ive noticed the engine bay being messed around by packrats , google search yields that the ultrasonic systems do not succeed in deterring the packrats which are basically wild rats , I just managed to kill one such rat yesterday in the engine bay...you wont believe it was literally sitting atop the repellent system and staring right at me.

Mortein cakes and all sort of rat poisons seem to be a source of food for packrats somehow or the other.
Thank you for the information. This was news to me!! Never heard of such a thing called packrats! I will check with the vendor. Varna said it is effective against all rats.
Old 20th July 2011, 12:55   #574
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the information. This was news to me!! Never heard of such a thing called packrats! I will check with the vendor. Varna said it is effective against all rats.
This link will clear all your doubts and provide more info as well..

Mr. Pack Rat - Rats in Cars
Old 20th July 2011, 13:09   #575
Senior - BHPian

Well guys i am someone who has had issues with rats and rodents ( yes ) every moonsoon and over a period of time have worked on solutions which seem to work in my favour.

My car - Premier padmini's engine bay is a heaven for rats since it has soo much space for them to settle down.I have had instances wherein i saw a rat in my engine bay,drove the car for the whole day, and it was still there in the same place at night!!!

Padmini has space on both sides of bay for rats to merry and stay unhindered, worst place is behind battery which is not visible and easily accesible.

One day , a rat was reluctant to leave that place and the only way it came out was when i threw hot water on it.

SOLUTIONS :

I have got important things like ignition wires etc in water pipe, the one which comes with a wire mesh.

You cut the pipe length wise on one side, insert wires in it and then seal it using electrical tape.This works 100% since rats cannot chew those pipes.

Other thing which has worked well for me is - Tobbacco, use the best desi tobbacco with a very stong smell and spread it in the area where rats sit, it has worked wonders since my wiper ground wire has not yet been touched by rats.

Also i would not advise to block the area where rat has been sitting in car, else it might find another in the engine bay.
Other things - make sure you change the vehicle postion each day if possible, it helps to an extent.

But as per my old mech, its very difficult to have a full proof mechanism against rats and it will go in and have fun and we can just hope it does not damage our cars in the process.

Last edited by silverado : 20th July 2011 at 13:19.
Old 20th July 2011, 13:22   #576
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
One day , a rat was reluctant to leave that place and the only way it came out was when i threw hot water on it.
Ha ha ha ! On discovery channel they had showed this thing. In China they eat rats by first putting them in boiling water and then frying them in oil !!

Coming back to the topic, does Mortein rat kill have any effect on cats? I have seen 2-3 huge rats in my garden due to excess rains this week. I am scared they will soon find a way to the engine. Hence I was thinking of putting Mortein as a precautionary measure. But I don't want my cats to touch the Mortein. I am asking this point because one of our cats has this habit of climbing into the engine compartment and sleeping there during the night
Old 20th July 2011, 13:35   #577
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
I am asking this point because one of our cats has this habit of climbing into the engine compartment and sleeping there during the night
Hey Buddy, in that case put some delicious cat food in engine bay, nothing else will protect your car better that a actual CAT will .

BTW i have just relocated to Pune, so honk if you see a Bayer blue Padmini, or a Champenge gold nano of course with T-bhp stickers on it.
Old 20th July 2011, 16:08   #578
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter View Post
This link will clear all your doubts and provide more info as well..

Mr. Pack Rat - Rats in Cars
Thanks, Peter, but it has killed all my hope of getting rid of the rats!!(this is a rat, not a fox!)

I was hoping against hope that this repellent will solve the problems!
Old 21st July 2011, 08:52   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, Peter, but it has killed all my hope of getting rid of the rats!!(this is a rat, not a fox!)

I was hoping against hope that this repellent will solve the problems!
I hear you Samm , but the good thing is that you havent actually bought the repellent yet , you should actually see my face in the morning when I open the hood just to find the repellent being pooed all over by the rat....3.5k being pooed on
Old 27th July 2011, 11:34   #580
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Horrible stench emanating from my car's engine bay. Covered the face and looked hard. Couldn't find anything. My men looked again but still couldn't source where it's coming from.

Went to a local garage and removed the plastic cover under which the radiator sits. Bingo....a dead fish!! Can you beat that? An XL size dead fish. Worse still, it was lying on the plastic floor below the radiator. A cat probably found that to be a safe spot to feast, away from the rains. I can tell you it was quite a task to get that fish out of the engine bay.

A cat in the neighbourhood might keep the rats at bay, but can also produce a unique set of problems
Old 27th July 2011, 12:55   #581
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Went to a local garage and removed the plastic cover under which the radiator sits. Bingo....a dead fish!! Can you beat that? An XL size dead fish.
You smelt a rat but actually it turned out to be something fishy!
SmartCat is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2011, 12:54   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Bingo....a dead fish!! Can you beat that? An XL size dead fish.
This is indeed unique!! Surprising that even while driving it didnt fall off, and stayed to spread the fragrance!

This is what I have done to try to keep rats away ...
a) Lakshman Rekha. Do artwork using that chalk piece inside engine bay. Decent results. Should keep repeating it every 3-4 days.

b) Rat vanisher. Kept in car parking area. Worked for first week. But too much of wind. Odour based technology. Failed, probably due to heavy winds. Now, moved it directly under the hood, on top of engine. But has to be kept while parking in the night and removed before starting. Just the first 3 days, I'm hoping it works.

c) Want to try what Mr.Peter tried and failed with packrats. Saw another company called Varna. If they give a returnable offer in case of failure, I will try their ultrasonic device. Costs 1600/- per unit, works (sorry, expected to!) for 300sqft parking area.
Old 1st August 2011, 15:59   #583
Senior - BHPian

Mouse/Rat's inside my car. Don't know how on earth they get in. I called Ford service to ask them for possible entry points. They said AC fresh air operator flap or the rubber boot that carries the wires from the engine bay into the cabin. Both these are intact and the operator is in closed position but the darn rodents still find their way in. I went to the extent of opening up the fresh air intake vent that sits between the windshield and bonnet hinges to see if the operator flap is operational and it is. Every morning I end up removing feces and urine from the rubber mats. Have been washing the rubber mats everyday with savlon.

No damage so far. They just seem to loaf around inside the car, take a dump and leave. A little seat cover was nibbled at but this was under the seat frame.

I placed rat cakes below the car and they disappear every night but the rodents still make it inside the car. I used Mortein rat kill. The smaller cakes. Does Mortein take time to work? I placed the glue pad under the car with a nice small cheese slice in the middle. It was untouched in the morning. Car was again filled with feces this morning. I am a little too obsessed with the car and can't stand anything unhygienic. The car is cleaned every weekend and the last time around I savloned every plastic surface inside the car.

Some suggestions to get rid of the rodents will be much appreciated.
Old 1st August 2011, 16:27   #584
BANNED

Inspite of all claims from various pesticide manufacturers the best cure for rats is a cat. Keep a few stray cats in you parking area. But feed them very little so they are always hungry. Otherwise they will not catch the rats.
Old 1st August 2011, 16:35   #585
Team-BHP Support

I have thought of a rather unconventional solution - but I admit I haven't tried it out myself.

Buy a XXL sized car cover. If you have a Santro, buy a car cover for the Honda City. If you have a Honda City, buy a car cover of Toyota Camry. If you have a Toyota Camry, I'm pretty sure you have a garage - so this doesn't apply to you anyway.

The XXL sized car cover would not only cover up the car completely, but would also prevent the rat from getting under the car (because the plastic car cover would be touching the floor on which car is parked). One could hold the XXL sized car cover in place with 5 or 10 bricks all around.

Worth a try, in my opinion, if everything else fails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Inspite of all claims from various pesticide manufacturers the best cure for rats is a cat. Keep a few stray cats in you parking area. But feed them very little so they are always hungry. Otherwise they will not catch the rats.
These days, it is very difficult for cats to survive in big cities - because of dogs.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks