Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2009, 12:49   #346
Senior - BHPian

i too had rat issues in my 800. The only difference was they used to get their bones and used to treat my 800 as some dining hall .

They used to sit just above the front suspension and used to park all the meat there. the car used to stink.

We tried rat poison which worked.

THough i have been thinking about this, how about creating a contraption which has loose wires but has low intenstive electicity running in them, so when the rats try to eat them, they get a shock and they run away / die / burn / get charred to death.

Has anyone thought about this / or has anyone made this ?

cheers,
ac
Old 12th June 2009, 13:26   #347
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukheshkumar View Post
rats eat insulation wire and will sit touching metallic body to experience a kind of kick out of 12V battery. i believe that the rodents enjoy this.
Are we saying that rats have masochistic tendencies?
Old 12th June 2009, 14:36   #348
BHPian

I guess so. We need to check this with psychologists who generally conduct such experimeents for their research work.

IQ wise, rats are wise and not otherwise. So you can't be fooling them with the same strategy for a long time.
Old 12th June 2009, 15:35   #349
BHPian

pinup Tom's photo inside your car and no jerry will dare venture in.
Old 12th June 2009, 15:52   #350
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorhead View Post
pinup Tom's photo inside your car and no jerry will dare venture in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukheshkumar View Post
I guess so. IQ wise, rats are wise and not otherwise. So you can't be fooling them with the same strategy for a long time.
Guys, are we losing the plot here?
Old 12th June 2009, 18:54   #351
BHPian

Oh sorry didnt thought about it , you can then plot the car next to yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile View Post
@passion4cars, Tried this and its a bad idea.

Guys please dont try this. I applied the same concept and the next thing I have every night is the cat sitting on my car. It has put multiple scratches on my car, thanks to turtle wax which took care of it, but the cat has even torn my car cover.

Now its me trying to get rid of the cat.......might have to start a new tread for that
Old 13th June 2009, 15:46   #352
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@passion4cars, Tried this and its a bad idea.

Guys please dont try this. I applied the same concept and the next thing I have every night is the cat sitting on my car. It has put multiple scratches on my car, thanks to turtle wax which took care of it, but the cat has even torn my car cover.

Now its me trying to get rid of the cat.......might have to start a new tread for that
Huh?! You seem to have a real sadistic feline out there! Recently, and also in the past, I'v seen stray cats patrolling near our car at night. Its a sight that always makes me very happy, esp. after reading all the rodent horror stories out here. Recently there is this tom cat that sometimes takes a nap under the car. Never have those fur balls ever scratched anything or done any damage whatsoever.
Old 13th June 2009, 15:50   #353
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpa View Post
Are we saying that rats have masochistic tendencies?
I don't know about that, but I know one sadistic BHPian for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
die / burn / get charred to death.

Has anyone thought about this
Old 13th June 2009, 16:27   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Please be careful. What we call "camphor" is actually naphtalene. Naphtalene vapour is extremely harmful, and you can suffer long-term damage to your health by constantly inhaling it.
Suggest you do not use this in the interior of the car.
I do not agree with you here. Camphor has medicinal / beneficial properties like: stimulant, anti spasmodic, anti septic, decongestant, anesthetic, sedative and nervous pacifier, anti neuralgic, anti inflammatory, disinfectant, insecticide, etc.

If it was harmful in ANY damn way, people would never visit temples or have puja at home. It is a good method to keep the rats away too.

Quote:
Mouse problem = Cat = Solved = Cat problem = ? = Get a dog

EDIT: It should be a good idea to get the engine bay washed frequently. Also, if a mechanic / you could dab a cloth in something like neem oil and rub it all over the wiring in the engine compartment, the rats would never want to get that bitter taste!

Last edited by ankitahuja : 13th June 2009 at 16:30.
Old 13th June 2009, 16:39   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
I do not agree with you here.
In India, the white mothballs sold in stores is not really camphor, and you will find out if you buy a labelled container.

I am quoting liberally from Wikipedia

Older mothballs consisted primarily of naphthalene, but due to naphthalene's flammability, modern mothballs use 1,4-dichlorobenzene

( instead. Both of these ingredients have a strong, pungent odor often associated strongly with mothballs.
(dichlorobenzene, p-DCB, PDB) is an organic compound with the formula C6H4Cl2. This colourless solid has an odour akin to that of camphor. It consists of two chlorine atoms substituted at opposing sites on a benzene ring. p-DCB is used a pesticide and a deodorant, most famously in mothballs in which it is a replacement for the more traditional naphthalene.

The US Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) and the International Agency for Research on Cancer (IARC) have determined that
p-DCB may reasonably be anticipated to be a carcinogen, although there is no direct evidence.[2] Animals given very high levels in water developed liver and kidney tumors. The United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has set a maximum contaminant level of 75 micrograms of p-DCB per liter of drinking water (75 μg/L). p-DCB is also an EPA-registered pesticide.[citation needed] The US Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has set a maximum level of 75 parts of p-DCB per million parts air in the workplace (75 ppm) for an 8-hour day, 40-hour workweek.[citation needed]
Under California's Proposition 65,
p-DCB is listed as "known to the State to cause cancer".[4]
Mothballs are highly toxic when ingested, causing serious illness or death. In addition to this, using a very large quantity of mothballs in a basement or a living space may cause serious respiratory problems in people living in the space.

Please inform yourself before you use the so-called "camphor" balls.

Last edited by filcord : 13th June 2009 at 16:44.
Old 13th June 2009, 18:15   #356
BHPian

Quote:
In India, the white mothballs sold in stores is not really camphor, and you will find out if you buy a labelled container.

I am quoting liberally from Wikipedia.............
Filcord - I think you need to read the posts again, the suggestion is to use CAMPHOR and not moth balls or naphthalene balls!

Are we even discussing the "white moth balls" here? sigh!

Quote:
Please inform yourself before you use the so-called "camphor" balls.
Please go out to a general store and tell them you need Camphor tablets (the are not balls and come in small squares) and read the labelled box!

No point in forcing your point without understanding the said!
Old 13th June 2009, 19:03   #357
BHPian

I got this info in email
Web Site : www.ratocop.com
Ratocop is designed using specialized sensor modules to detect presence of rats, mice, squirrels and other Rodent species which are likely to enter into Cars and other vehicles through openings beneath the bonnet and damaging wires and other parts of the engine.
Ratocop detects the slightest presence of any rats and mice in the engine area and creates random vibrations and noises similar to engine ignitions, hence the rodent is scared away due to irritation and fear assuming the vehicle to have started, thus giving the rat no chance to damage the wiring’s and fittings of the car.
This device will be automatically switched "ON" & “OFF” The entire installation is done by connecting only two wires to the car battery, without tampering any original wires of the car

Last edited by aka_iitd : 13th June 2009 at 19:05.
Old 16th June 2009, 10:26   #358
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
I got this info in email
Ratocop is designed using specialized sensor modules to detect presence of rats, mice, squirrels and other Rodent species which are likely to enter into Cars and other vehicles through openings beneath the bonnet and damaging wires and other parts of the engine.
Ratocop detects the slightest presence of any rats and mice in the engine area and creates random vibrations and noises similar to engine ignitions, hence the rodent is scared away due to irritation and fear assuming the vehicle to have started, thus giving the rat no chance to damage the wiring’s and fittings of the car.
This device will be automatically switched "ON" & “OFF” The entire installation is done by connecting only two wires to the car battery, without tampering any original wires of the car
Hello aka_iitd,

Have you installed this device and do we have this available in Bangalore..
Old 16th June 2009, 11:02   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankitahuja View Post
Are we even discussing the "white moth balls" here? sigh!
We aren't? Oops, sorry!
Just that if I go to the local medical store and ask for camphor - they give me naphtalene balls!
Old 16th June 2009, 11:08   #360
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aka_iitd View Post
I got this info in email
Quote:
Originally Posted by srinath_mys View Post
...Have you installed this device and do we have this available in Bangalore..
No, this is NOT available in bangalore. I asked the company and they said the following:
  • 1200 for the ratocop
  • Courier charges to be borne by you (will be shipped from Bombay)
  • NO dealer in Bangalore
  • 200 for installation charges
  • You have to install yourself, they will give a link from where you can get instructions (200 charges for what then???)
Cheers,

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks