Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2009, 08:06   #331
BHPian

few years back I had same problem in my m800, i had driver who used to drive it mostly, one day it was smelling odd inside the car, driver complained but was sent to some place for work, after a few minutes he came back screaming and to our surprise he told he was driving with a CAT in the car, who had a RAT dinner in the car, when cat came to his front seat, he was in panic, stopped the car and stood outside in feat until she left the car.
Old 7th June 2009, 16:56   #332
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpk View Post
when cat came to his front seat, he was in panic, stopped the car and stood outside in feat until she left the car.
Why did he have to panic?? Did he think the cat would pounce on him after it was done with its rat dinner??
Old 8th June 2009, 12:42   #333
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hello,
Even i had rat problems 1 year back it had chewed the spark plug cable and need to replace, it used to run all over engine bay (cld make out by seeing the droppings) but from past 1 week it had become severe, when i open the bonnet i could see big size rat sitting on battery and running down,
by going through this forum i did put Mortein rat kill for 3 days, and found 2 huge rats dead below my car, after that even though i placed cakes i cldnt see it when i next open the bonnet but still rats running all over my engine.
i tried with tobacco leaves, napthalene balls ( as suggested in the thread), but still it runs all over engine bay,
it had chewed headlight wires and also part of battery terminal cap (it used to sit on battery and pee, the smell used to stink)
i took to concorde service center, we cld smell some dead rat inside, the guy taped the chewed wires and searched for the dead rat for some time and gave up, he removed the Air filter and found lot of droppings inside, asked him to blow air and remove it, he didnt instead tried to remove from cloth, and told me finished, i drove back from the center.
but still i smell the stinking smell of dead rat somewhere near the left door, i too searched by opening the bonnet and thorough searched iniside, but cldnt find.
i can get the stink smell if i go near the left side bonnet and near the left door (comming from the gap between door and bonnet)

i still saw other rats had chewed the taped wire.

please suggest how to get rid of tat deat animal which i cldnt trace and the rat problem even after trying with rat kill, tobacco, napthalene balls....
Old 8th June 2009, 15:58   #334
BHPian

such a lot of rat problems and i thought i was the only one having it.a few months back while going to college i felt a strange sick kind of smell when i sat in my car.i thought it was maybe due to the fact that i had not taken my car out for a long time.so i changed my freshner and cleaned the car and he smell went away.but one day while cleaning the boot i found a dead rat and rat droppings everywhere near the stepney area.obviously i was surprised.
in the following days there were rat dropping in the front seat even in the dashboard!!guys please help me out.
i even once saw a small baby lizard in my car but i thought it wasnt a big problem but i dont want my car to become a zoo..
Old 8th June 2009, 16:08   #335
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabahmad View Post
...Best of luck, hope they doesnt come near your gypsy. (fingers crossed)
Yes, I am worried about that man. I fear that day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Khan bhai, there is a opening for wire from engine bay to the cabin just get that covered. @t Concorde they used a sticker kind of thing to cover it up which solved the problem.
You are right. It's that opening from which this bugger comes in. I have seen it in the engine bay & then running in the car using that opening.

Quote:
btw if those rats have eaten "rat kill" then in matter of a day or 2 they will be gone dont worry... rat kill works slow
No way. I have put in 4 FULL packs of Mortien Rat Kill and that bugger has eaten all of them and no result. The situation right now is: ICE wire CUT. So no music in the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocritical View Post

Rat kill is very slow.. so no point putting cakes everyday..

1st step.. Sprinkle Tobacco powder in engine bay area.
2nd step.. put sticky pads near front tyres from where they climb up to the bay.

Edit: One more thing. Change the direction of the way car is parked. Park it in reverse way. Rats usually follow the same path everyday by smelling. So just to confuse them.
Thanks man. Will try all that & even more today -- even if the car smells/reeks of tobacoo & camphor.

PS: What do you mean by 'sticky pads' ??
Old 8th June 2009, 16:24   #336
Senior - BHPian

Hmm... we had a rat infestation. Mortein Rat kill did the trick... but I'd say you should keep replacing the cakes (make small pieces) untill you feel all the rats have had their last meal. The reason being, who knows you could have rats that don't come your side everynight.

Sticky pads... you get them in supermarkets, etc... they are basically a sheet of some sticky material. Anything that walks over them is stuck!
Old 8th June 2009, 17:04   #337
BHPian

Wire Brush Can be used

You can also use Wire brush; in my previous apartment i used to keep 2 Metal Wire Brushes every time car is parked. Used to keep it near battery terminal and other near Windscreen Washer unit.

This might be useful, but constantly keep some rat poison. Ratkill doesn’t work on some big rats as they are nauseated (not killed) by it.

Try some chemical/pesticide shops they can really provide some chemical to keep away rats. Also maintain cleanliness in parking lot as our engine bays are used as nice warm restaurants by those rodents.
Old 8th June 2009, 17:41   #338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post

PS: What do you mean by 'sticky pads' ??
Dear All,
I also had the same problem 2 years ago in my Indigo LX. I tried various means but ultimately the sticky pad from PCI (PCI:: Household Products: Trubble Gum™ - The better Rat Trap) really did wonder and its available at all major super markets.
Another suggestion was to remove coconut tree planted just in front of my garage. I did that also and now no sign of rats at all. My 'mali'(gardener) suggested that coconut tree does attract rats so better AI remove it. In my case it has worked!
Old 9th June 2009, 09:32   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.Surya View Post
I tried many things, finally somebody suggested putting camphor in the interior to keep them away, the only downside being smelling like a camphor shop.

I dont know the magic, my car for the past eight months has been totally rodent free, although the smell can get strong at times but it is something I live with....
Please be careful. What we call "camphor" is actually naphtalene. Naphtalene vapour is extremely harmful, and you can suffer long-term damage to your health by constantly inhaling it.
Suggest you do not use this in the interior of the car.

Last edited by filcord : 9th June 2009 at 09:34.
Old 9th June 2009, 10:56   #340
BHPian

I thought the rat traps were good enough to set these creepy creatures in place. Of course, the bait should be good enough to lure them?? They are quite choosy!!
Old 11th June 2009, 21:14   #341
Distinguished - BHPian

Well, here is an update on the Rat problem in my S10:

#: Could NOT find the chewing tobacco in Bangalore. Seems like no one likes it here. Guys, any idea from where you can get the chewing tobacco here in Bangalore??

#: Got 2 packets of 'camphor' -- the one's that are used in Puja. Liberally sprinkled the camphor pellets in the bonnet/cabin. Must say that the problem is reduced. NOT gone but reduced. The car reeks of camphor and is impossible to drive with windows closed or A/c. But much better than having a rat in there.

#: Today have got a hard bristle brush and blocked the opening from where the rat would be coming into the cabin. Let's see how it holds.

#: Also, have chaged the parking to a nearby slot (there are 2 cars parked near my car for some 2-3 months without being used so I guess that there are Rats in there.)

PS: came to know that my car is NOT the only one in the appartment to suffer this fate. Other car owners in recent days have faced similar stuff :-(
Old 12th June 2009, 00:57   #342
BHPian

Hi ,

will sound funny but will suggest to tame a cat , you would have certainly seen some cats in your area , feed the cat some biscuit or milk for few days , once it gets friendly with you feed the milk or biscuit near your car . So after some time the cat will always roam near your car , hoping to find milk , biscuit and whola RATS .

GAME OVER - YOU WIN : RATS DIE ( CLAP CLAP )
Old 12th June 2009, 01:58   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by passion4cars View Post
Hi ,

will sound funny but will suggest to tame a cat , you would have certainly seen some cats in your area , feed the cat some biscuit or milk for few days , once it gets friendly with you feed the milk or biscuit near your car . So after some time the cat will always roam near your car , hoping to find milk , biscuit and whola RATS .

GAME OVER - YOU WIN : RATS DIE ( CLAP CLAP )
@passion4cars, Tried this and its a bad idea.

Guys please dont try this. I applied the same concept and the next thing I have every night is the cat sitting on my car. It has put multiple scratches on my car, thanks to turtle wax which took care of it, but the cat has even torn my car cover.

Now its me trying to get rid of the cat.......might have to start a new tread for that
Old 12th June 2009, 12:26   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Well, here is an update on the Rat problem in my S10:

#: Could NOT find the chewing tobacco in Bangalore. Seems like no one likes it here. Guys, any idea from where you can get the chewing tobacco here in Bangalore??

PS: came to know that my car is NOT the only one in the appartment to suffer this fate. Other car owners in recent days have faced similar stuff :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophile View Post
@passion4cars, Tried this and its a bad idea.

Guys please dont try this. I applied the same concept and the next thing I have every night is the cat sitting on my car. It has put multiple scratches on my car, thanks to turtle wax which took care of it, but the cat has even torn my car cover.

Now its me trying to get rid of the cat.......might have to start a new tread for that
Hmm... I found tobacco in my nearby pan shop. Probably your pan shop guy is too good It comes in different flavors too

Even in our apartment, the cars which are parked nearer to the boundary wall face this problem more than the ones inner. Off late we found rats are lesser in number, but we found some snakes in our complex that might be reason for lesser rats.
Non poisonous rat snakes though. Sounds like a better solution than cats?

Last edited by Jaggu : 12th June 2009 at 19:09. Reason: Please restrict smilie usage to 2 per post. thanks
Old 12th June 2009, 12:48   #345
BHPian

I understand that rats eat insulation wire and will sit touching metallic body to experience a kind of kick out of 12V battery. i believe that the rodents enjoy this.

If this is true, disconnecting one of the terminals would help.
Please respond if any of you have more info on this.

Most Viewed