Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2008, 11:39   #181
BHPian

Solution No. 1 Don't eat in your car..hehehe kidding.
Put Ratkill all over the car.."Chuhe isse kha kar mare bahar ja kar"
I hope you are not doing 100 kms an hour when they try to get out the car for obvious reason..everybody feels bad for Road killed.

Last edited by msharma_79 : 10th October 2008 at 11:44.
Old 10th October 2008, 11:43   #182
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
Srini! Thes pouches i am referring to are the ones available in smaller stores (read as pan shops) outside town and in Telugu they are referred to as "CHHUTTA" . These are basically tobacco leaves and have quite a pungent smell to ward off the little intruders. Definitely not the Stylish Stamina Sticks or so called Cigarettes when i meant Tobacco Pouches . You can find these on the outskirts of a town with most of the village population love these for a smoke.
Well well be carefull Ramdoss is watching, before giving the rat tobacco you need to make sure he is above 18 years and he does not consume it in Public places...
Old 10th October 2008, 12:35   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msharma_79 View Post
Well well be carefull Ramdoss is watching, before giving the rat tobacco you need to make sure he is above 18 years and he does not consume it in Public places...
that was a good one sharma and as "gpa" mentioned about WD40, will graduate to that product and abstain from smoking out the rats under the hood.
Old 10th October 2008, 15:49   #184
Senior - BHPian

But where are you guys going to apply WD40 in the interior?? I dont see any "compatible" place where you can apply/spray it!!! Dashboard, painted areas, rugs are definitely not things which are supposed to be saturated in WD40! Also dont forget, the fumes are very likely toxic!
Old 10th October 2008, 15:54   #185
Senior - BHPian

As Raccoon mentioned using the WD40 under the hood is a good idea unlike inside the car itself as it does have toxic fumes and definitely not advisable to use it inside the car. I dont see it necessary to use inside the car unless you have an entry for the little fellas underneath which i doubt it but can never say
Old 10th October 2008, 16:21   #186
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Also dont forget, the fumes are very likely toxic!
Hi Raccoon,

WD-40 doesn't emnate any toxic fumes. It has a mild smell that some people could find offensive if sprayed in the interiors of a car.

More importantly, once sprayed, the smell does tend to decrease over time to our human noses, but will still be strong enough to affect the rodents..

Cheers,

gpa
Old 10th October 2008, 17:05   #187
Senior - BHPian

Kindly check on a can of WD40. It clearly says use only in ventilated area. Fumes can be harmful or fatal if inhaled... etc, etc!

It is a volatile petroleum distillate. Should NOT be inhaled even if there was no warning!!!

Moreover, smell as we percieve it and harmful fumes dont necessarily have a direct relation.
Old 10th October 2008, 19:27   #188
BHPian

Big NO for WD40 inside cabin.
Also don't spray on nuts and bolts under the bonnet -what is these becomes loose with vibrations?
Old 10th October 2008, 19:30   #189
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Kindly check on a can of WD40. It clearly says use only in ventilated area. Fumes can be harmful or fatal if inhaled... etc, etc!

It is a volatile petroleum distillate. Should NOT be inhaled even if there was no warning!!!

Moreover, smell as we percieve it and harmful fumes dont necessarily have a direct relation.
Hi there,

Yes, I agree that it should be used only in a well ventilated area. The fumes that emnate when the product is in the process of being sprayed can be fatal.

The smell is something that remains after the product is used and is very faint and the fumes that you refer to are primarily present just as the product is being sprayed.

The faint smell is what keep the rats at bay.

Cheers,

gpa
Old 10th October 2008, 19:36   #190
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by archat68 View Post
Also don't spray on nuts and bolts under the bonnet -what is these becomes loose with vibrations?
Hi archat68,

Spraying WD-40 inside the bonnet will not lead to any loosening of nuts or bolts.

It is a proven method to prevent the rats from chewing on your wires inside the bonnet.. I have used it on several of my earlier cars and none of the nuts/bolts got loose, so nothing to worry there

Cheers,

gpa
Old 14th October 2008, 22:04   #191
Senior - BHPian

Getting Rid of Roaches from car

Hi
My friend owns a Tata Indigo.The car has cloth upholestry and is infested with cockroaches.One always falls down when he shuts the car doors.
Any suggestions how one can get rid of the rocahes without taking the interior apart.
He has already tried using stuff like "Hit" but to no avail.

thanks
Old 14th October 2008, 22:51   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
One always falls down when he shuts the car doors.
Ouche! thats going to be scary for female passengers in car. Keep the garage free from these creepy creatures by keeping place clean (no edible stuff there) and spraying some DDT powder at suspected place (except inside car )
Now for the car, get it throughly cleaned from inside, you may also get the dor pads, seat covers, mats removed for proper cleaning. Try to locate small gaps from where coackroaches are entering the car. It can be gap caused by torn bootseal rubber etc. Discourage people from eating (and spreding all over the floor) food items inside car.
Hope this helps.
Old 14th October 2008, 23:46   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
Hi
My friend owns a Tata Indigo.The car has cloth upholestry and is infested with cockroaches.One always falls down when he shuts the car doors.
Any suggestions how one can get rid of the rocahes without taking the interior apart.
He has already tried using stuff like "Hit" but to no avail.

thanks
Try talking to PCI(Pest Control India) or Godrej Home care folks. They might have some products.
Otherwise, there will be local people who do pest control treatment for homes. They will be more than willing to do a treatment for the car as well.
Old 23rd February 2009, 00:40   #194
BANNED

Hungry Rat under Swift's Hood!!!

Hi people,

Its Sunday evening and as usual my friends had come over to my place. We had plans to chill out at some place. We got ready and were set to go. I took out my car and noticed that the back light of my speedometer was dull.

After just 2 mins that already dull back light went off. I was a little worried by then. After driving for about 1km, on the first signal, I noticed some smoke coming out from under the hood. Horrified by this, I stopped after the signal and opened the bonnet. First, i saw the windscreen wiper's pipe was cut and water was spilling on the engine, hence the smoke. I was a bit relieved as i thought the damage was not much.

But this relief was short lived when i noticed that the coolent pipe was ripped and eaten by, i guess, a rat!! Some of the electrical wires had also become food for that tiny creature.

Leaving no choice, we had to return home, left my car at my place and went for dinner. While having dinner, my mind was running helter skelter on the thoughts of repairing the damages done. After coming back, I took some of the pics of under hood.

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-22022009087.jpg
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-22022009088.jpg
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-22022009084.jpg
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-22022009079.jpg
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-22022009082.jpg
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-22022009080.jpg
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-22022009085.jpg
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-22022009091.jpg
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-22022009086.jpg
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-22022009090.jpg
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-22022009089.jpg

Being clueless on the step to be taken now, whether to take it to authorized service station or show it to some local garage, I seek help from BHPians.

I suspect that going to MASS would cost a bomb as they would suggest me to replace the complete wiring.
Old 23rd February 2009, 02:58   #195
BANNED

It's sad to see what the rodent has done to your poor car. But doesn't your car come with some iCATs in it? Maybe it was a lazy pussycat, eh??

Jokes apart,
I would recommend a very good electrician's eye on your car first. Then a good mechanic to seal/change all the leaks and loose rubber parts.
If you can afford, a reputed M.A.S.S is where you should take your car. They'll have better expertise in Swifts with similar problems. It will also be easy to change any damaged parts as some parts won't be that easy to source from outside.

Most Viewed