Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2023, 14:54   #1726
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

Random thoughts...

Actual essential oils are very, very concentrated, being the direct result of pressing the flowers/etc. They may be a little expensive. They may be very expensive (see rose).

If you want to make a perfumed product (yes I have! Long ago) the first thing you learn is that, to get the perceived smell of a particular flower, plant, etc, you do not just add the essential oil from that plant. It doesn't work! So a commercial product with a particular perfume may or may not contain much of anything that was ever part of that thing. (lavender oil does smell pretty much like lavender, though)

Have to admit being doubtful about lavender as a mossie repellent, but Google put me right. It is, and can be at least as effective as citronella. And google also tells me that rodents don't like it! Live and learn

Essential oils come in tiny bottles (if not, then they are already diluted) and I wouldn't want to set out to soak anything. Maybe just a dab with the finger here and there might have some effect, and maybe that wouldn't be a fire risk? Personally, I'm not very keen on experimenting on whether something is fire risk or not rl;

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 29th September 2023 at 14:56.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 10:15   #1727
BHPian

There is a very recent video from a well known mechanic - Mukesh Chandra Gond, about the rat infestation. The video is in Hindi, but it is quite self explanatory as to what steps he took to get rid of the mouse issue.

Due credits to the channel owner and video maker.

Last edited by ObsessedByFIAT : 1st October 2023 at 10:16.
ObsessedByFIAT is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 12:56   #1728
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsessedByFIAT View Post
There is a very recent video from a well known mechanic - Mukesh Chandra Gond, about the rat infestation.
This resonates with my experience when I faced rat problem several years ago.

I tried placing tobacco leaves, sprinkling peppermint/ lavender/ etc oils, parking the car in opposite direction every other day - and none of these worked.
What solved the problem was when the ASC used metal mesh to cover the relevant parts, including wrapping the metal mesh around the wires.
adisan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 13:01   #1729
BHPian

Rat Infestation Wreaks Havoc on My Honda City Cowl
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-photo_20231001_202514.jpg  

satchit_bhp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 15:20   #1730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
How does one store dried tobacco leaves in the engine bay? What does one wrap it with and where are the best places to store it?
Have been using one of those plastic mesh like pouches in which retail quantities of garlic/onion/potatoes are packed in the grocery stores. Use the same thing to hang/tie it in some part of the engine bay, not in direct contact with the exhaust/engine/fans (fire hazard).

Have found these processed leaves to be very high in salt content and they do leave some salt residue in areas nearby. The leaves become dry and flaky very soon in the hot engine bay, but absorbs moisture again when conditions are humid. Could cause rusting issues.

Cannot vouch for any success, but I have hung the thing even under a bike cover
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20231003_145817.jpg  

Old 3rd October 2023, 15:53   #1731
BHPian

I have tried naphthalene balls, tobacco leaves, wire brushes, rat sprays etc for the past 8 years post a very bad rat infestation in my Dzire. What works best for me are pepper sprays. Oleoresin capsicum in them seems to repel rodents and I guess that's why Honda also uses this chemical in their rat repellent tape. 1 can of pepper spray lasts around 3 to 4 months. I just spray inside my engine bay every 2 weeks, specially on wires. It's important to open up your bonnet once a while to look for signs of rat infestation and take appropriate measures as there is no miracle cure for them and you will need to change your strategy once a while to battle these creatures. I still can't forget the stench they leave once they enter the ac ducts or cabin. Gosh, it's horrible.

Last edited by Maverick Avi : 3rd October 2023 at 15:56.
Maverick Avi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 18:04   #1732
BHPian

I have been using this product: Autogaurd Rat repellent spray. https://www.noratsincar.com/.

It has worked perfectly for me. Never had a rat issue after spraying this.
Case in point. My car sprayed with this never got bitten by rats. But a car just parked next to mine had its wiring harness chewed by rats.

Disclaimer: - I am no way associated with this product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
In what way is the glue pad different from a mousetrap?... What is this humane angle to getting rid of a pest? It is going to be killed anyway, they are not livestock after all.
Glue pad causes a very painful and slow death to the creature. They are known to eat their own limbs trying to escape. Getting rid of pests give no right to anybody to torture any living creature. Always the least painful method should be considered.
JediKnight is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 21:46   #1733
BHPian

I have had fair share of rat intrusion, after rupturing the main fuel tank line resulting in loss of about 30 Liters of petrol.

Since then I've started using this car cover which protects the car from bottom to top. Has been the best remedy so far.
Attached Thumbnails
Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20220412_104613.jpg  

tiagoatrix is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 22:04   #1734
Senior - BHPian

This little cat is helping in keeping the rats away.

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20231002_173337.jpg
arun1100 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th October 2023, 12:05   #1735
BHPian

Finally it's my turn to post in this thread. One such stubborn mouse has made my car his (or her?) home. Since last week my car was smelling foul, I thought a rat might've died in the engine bay. I couldn't spot anything under the hood though.
The smell lessened a little bit for a couple of days. But man! It intensified like anything after that. I started searching under the hood, the mats & ultimately found the droppings everywhere in the trunk.

While cleaning the droppings, I found the culprit - but before I could do anything, it disappeared under the rear seats. I took the car straight to the washing center & cleaned it inside out. The mouse wasn't found during vacuuming unfortunately. So was a bit relieved that it might've gone along the way.

But no. It has now taken refuge in the B-pillars and I can audibly hear it scratching or gnawing while I drive. However, this determined intruder seems unwilling to vacate the premises.

I've placed the naphthalene balls at various places & also placed the glue pad in the boot. So far, no luck in catching it.

I'd appreciate if anyone got any clues to catch him/her.

Thanks!
Old 11th October 2023, 10:32   #1736
BHPian

Does any electronic rat repellent come with AA batteries? Why do we have to connect to the car battery bearing the risk of battery drain? Found a few on amazon.com, but did not find any in India yet. Of course the larger concern is whether they work. With mostly great reviews I see a few in between saying rats nested right next to it, or squirrel sitting on it. Don’t know whether I should spend the money or smell a rat here!

Last edited by Neomobile : 11th October 2023 at 10:42. Reason: Adding content
Old 11th October 2023, 10:33   #1737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiagoatrix View Post
Since then I've started using this car cover which protects the car from bottom to top. Has been the best remedy so far.
What cover is this? Is it soft and easy to fold? And just curious, why didn’t they cut the cover?

(@mods, after posting I realised that I could have edited the post above to include this. However did not find any delete post option.)

Last edited by Neomobile : 11th October 2023 at 10:36.
Old 11th October 2023, 20:27   #1738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neomobile View Post
What cover is this? Is it soft and easy to fold? And just curious, why didn’t they cut the cover?
This car cover protects the under body of the car also,it has two divisions) top and bottom), spread the bottom part of cover evenly, drive the car above the bottom part and then Cover the top portion, then close the bottom and top portion using zipper.

Cover is made of good quality canvas, durable, have been using it for an year. Repaired zipper once. It is soft and easy to fold bit on the heavier side (12-13kg). Fabric is type of nylon, hence saved from rat bite so far.
tiagoatrix is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 10:22   #1739
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This car cover protects the under body of the car also,it has two divisions) top and bottom), spread the bottom part of cover evenly, drive the car above the bottom part and then Cover the top portion, then close the bottom and top portion using zipper.

Cover is made of good quality canvas, durable, have been using it for an year. Repaired zipper once. It is soft and easy to fold bit on the heavier side (12-13kg). Fabric is type of nylon, hence saved from rat bite so far.
Rats bite through much harder materials than nylon. Wonder what's making it hard for them to gnaw at this!

Wow - commendable effort of "shrink wrapping" the car everytime you need to use it!
Old 12th October 2023, 11:21   #1740
BHPian

Quote:

Interesting car cover. Will you please post some details about brand, manufacturer and where it is purchased - online or offline, if online any website, cost, etc?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks