Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2021, 10:14   #1591
Senior - BHPian

re: Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice

I had this rats problem around a decade earlier when my parking slot was right next to the garbage room in my apartment. I first tried all the recommended methods including placing tobacco and various kinds of aromatic oils in the engine bay, parking the car in different directions each day.

Nothing worked. Rats chewed off the autocop wiring, the wipers wiring etc on different occasions.

The third time I took the car to the ASC, they put a metal mesh around the wires, and after that the problem did not recur. Not sure why they did not do it the first time itself when I had reported the wire chewed issue.
Old 30th October 2021, 12:22   #1592
BHPian

Hello,

In my continued efforts to prevent rat attack, recently I did a task of covering the AC air intake duct using a metal wire-mesh. The work was done in less than 30 minutes. Have a look at the video :

PS : I have been also practicing various other methods too : 3M spray, Naphthalene balls + tobacco leaves, Strategi-Herbal chemical box, throwing around rat poison cakes & granules, spilling phenol-water around vehicle on ground. The 3M spray works good to prevent rat from chewing the surface, however it needs to be re-applied every 4-6 months depending on the washing frequency. Do check my other videos.

regards,
Pranav
Old 24th November 2021, 14:49   #1593
Senior - BHPian

My solution seems to be working well - sometimes the cars go unused for weeks -

Name:  cat 2.jpg
Views: 1944
Size:  46.6 KB

Cost - Rs-200 rupees a month for these guys in cat food
They do sit on the car and jump all over it. no rats dare to come near my cars now

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-new-guard.jpg

You guys should try this.
Captain Slow is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 29th November 2021, 14:03   #1594
BHPian

I found something electronic at a hardware shop that I put inside the car. I tested it by placing a few mousetraps with cheese and I found none. This shows that it does work.
I cant pist a picture now as I am at work.
Last year about this time I trapped 8 of them the same week a
Old 29th November 2021, 15:40   #1595
BHPian

This is what happened in my Seltos. There was no rat sh** anywhere, nor any wire damages. But looks like rat entered through the air-intake hose, damaged the air filter and the box. I had to replace this box which costs ~2.5k

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20211127_102248.jpg

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20211127_122442.jpg

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-img_20211127_102254.jpg
vinya_jag is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 16:55   #1596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuel View Post

While purchasing new car, I have decided to do something about it and after searching over the internet, I have found a product called - Carcat, a device which uses ultrasound to repel rats. I have purchased it from Amazon and using it since last 2 months. It seems that the device is working.

I shall update after few months.
Hi Soulfuel

Any opinions on this product? I have have a whole bunch of questions!

Looks interesting but how effective is it?
Does it switch off automatically when the car starts?
Can you hear it when the vehicle is parked?
HOw does the battery fare?

[PS: He is a newbie; so I cant PM him]
Old 21st December 2021, 19:50   #1597
Senior - BHPian

I recently found rat droppings inside the bonnet. Instead of placing tobacco inside, I have sprayed diluted Savlon inside the bonnet. About 20% Savlon, 80% water. Seems to work so far.
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2021, 20:13   #1598
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
My solution seems to be working well - sometimes the cars go unused for weeks -

That's some top level anti rat defensive system you got there My society has rats too, but my pet cat and a stray dog which I've adopted keep those pesky little rats at bay I never had to bother with any other rat repellants shared here ! Folks facing major issue of rat menace, just adopt a cat (preferably a stray cat) and get him accustomed to where your car is parked - cheapest and most efficient solution !
Akshay6988 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2021, 11:00   #1599

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
Hi Soulfuel

Any opinions on this product? I have have a whole bunch of questions!

Looks interesting but how effective is it?
Does it switch off automatically when the car starts?
Can you hear it when the vehicle is parked?
HOw does the battery fare?

[PS: He is a newbie; so I cant PM him]
Hi.
Sorry for late reply.

The device seems to be effective but not much. I got the foam insulation chewed up by rats in the engine bay. But thankfully nothing more than that.
The installation of the device matters a lot and it determine the effectiveness of the product. It would be best if you don't have any insulation in bonnet area.
The device remains switch on all the time and a faint "beep" sound can be heard in a fixed interval.
In general terms, if you start the car at least once in a week, it should be fine with a healthy battery. For me, I have got my battery completely exhausted few times while keeping my car parked for months.

I have adopted multiple approach to deter rats to enter the engine bay and car cabin. Apart from the device, I am using rat repellent spray over the electrical wires in the engine bay. I am also using 1kg naphthalene balls on the ground, where the car is parked.
I have also observed that if you keep the engine bay clean, the rats tend to avoid the area. It is strictly not advisable to pressure wash the engine bay, but I had to do it few times. I had applied lots of WD40 over the electrical connections thereafter. Now I have also started changing the parking spot, if not possible then I change the parking position. I have also started keeping my car in the drive way(under car cover) rather than shaded parking spot.

Hope that helps.
soulfuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2022, 12:20   #1600
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
I recently found rat droppings inside the bonnet. Instead of placing tobacco inside, I have sprayed diluted Savlon inside the bonnet. About 20% Savlon, 80% water. Seems to work so far.
Just a query. Is it safe to use Savlon? I thought such items have a certain amount of alcohol in them.
Old 1st January 2022, 18:50   #1601
Senior - BHPian

^^ Their ad says it has very low alchohol content, that is why it doesn't cause burning sensation in the skin. Anyway we are diluting with further
3 - 4 times water. I think it is safe.

Last edited by Gansan : 1st January 2022 at 18:54.
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 14:36   #1602
BHPian

Okay folks, I probably found the WMD against rodents. End of all wars. It's going to get a lil bit yucky, so hold on.

The weapon is none other than feline urine. Yes, I'm not kidding, feline urine. My sister has a cat and it struck in my mind that rats must have some sort of data in their DNA which should compel them to frig off if they smell cat urine.

I placed some old rags inside the cat's litterbox(the cat pees inside litterbox), removed it after 3 days with gloves on. Placed the rags inside engine bay of my Alto(strut towers, around AC pipes, over battery), which was the most affected. Lo and behold, my garage has no more rats or rat droppings.

Will probably replace the rags with freshly urinated ones after 2 weeks. Also, the smell has not permeated into the cabin.
stallmaster is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 14:56   #1603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallmaster View Post
t

The weapon is none other than feline urine. Yes, I'm not kidding, feline urine. My sister has a cat and it struck in my mind that rats must have some sort of data in their DNA which should compel them to frig off if they smell cat urine.
That is an original solution. Pun intended. Thank you for sharing that. I have no issue of rats where i presently stay but would be moving to my farmhouse by end of the year and there would be rats there. My daughter has a cat and hence shall use this technique. KIndly provide an update as to whether it continues to be effective?
earthian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 15:02   #1604
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
no rats dare to come near my cars now
. . .
Several years back one of our colleagues suggested that cat urine can be used to deter rats and other colleagues were wondering how to collect the same

Now I get it naturally. There are couple of cats in our parking area. One of them sometimes sleep on top of my engine NVH cover. I regularly find cat footsteps on my engine NVH cover. Only once I had a problem because fan belt was removed during entry or exit of the cat and had to call RSA. I have since then learnt how to reinstall fan belts myself
airbus is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 8th January 2022, 11:16   #1605
Senior - BHPian

Saw this horrific sight today. A defence less windsheild reservoir was chewed and mauled beyond recogniting. I plan to surround it with a wire mesh. Not getting it repaired as of now.

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-riptorn1.jpg

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-riptorn2.jpg

Rat damage to cars | Protection, solutions & advice-riptorn3.jpg

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 8th January 2022 at 11:20.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks