Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2008, 22:48   #136

A Liitle bit of Humor after so many replys

To eliminate RATs in the CAR ... Let the CAT LIVE in the CAR at night time

** SZ **
Old 24th September 2008, 23:38   #137
Senior - BHPian

Just went thru this thread... wow, its like going thru a horry story! By the way, you dudes seem to be littering rat poison everywhere... do you guys give a thot that it may be eaten by someone's pet or a stray cat, dog, squirrel, etc???

We just had another infestation of rats at our home this week. Thats what made me go thru this thread. But thats history now, as the Morten Rat Kill did a great job. Its slow acting however... & have to take great care that it not accessible to anything except rats.

Never had a rat attack on the car (Esteem) though... touch wood! Though I have seen rats frolicking around in the compound at night! Either they dont like cars or there is no opening in the Esteem where they can enter.
Old 25th September 2008, 10:18   #138
BHPian

Hello all,

I have tried this after a friend of mine (who owns a gaurage suggested me), I took similar plastic threaded bag (the blue mesh bags which you get at he rodeside) and kept a opened tobaco bag in it (opened so that the smell is spread all over the engine bay. These tobaco bags you get for max 5 -10 rupees. And a mesh bag for another 10 max.

He said that the smell of tobaco is so disliked by most of the insects that they prefer not entering the car.

I never had rats but ants (black ones fortunetely) many of them. And was unable to find the source where they lived. I normally have my cigrate packet in glove box and have never seen any ant there, so I tried it and to best my surprise it worked, now I dont see a single ant in my car.
My friend also said that it works wonders for rats as well.

The only problem is rainy season as the bag gets wet, so never tie it near the AC or air filter as the smell may enter AC vents, the best place is near the battery (beside the coolent tank -- thats the place I use in my ZEN as I dont need to tie it, secondly it doesn't get wet in rains. May be some other place in other cars)
Old 25th September 2008, 10:43   #139
BHPian

On the lighter side

Raccoon talking about stray cat, dog, squirrel, rat
Old 25th September 2008, 18:25   #140
Distinguished - BHPian

OK, sorry but I was too lazy to go further than three pages into the thread from the beginning --- can someone remind me of the link to the company that makes the high-frequency sound boxes?

The car is ok, but the rats are taking up residence in our side passage, and I think they are trying to move into the washing machine!

Poison is not an option, due to having our own cats.
Old 25th September 2008, 19:57   #141
Senior - BHPian

My nephew opened a pack of Bingo in my Scorpio, ate some and then left the remaining packet in the boot near the jump seat. I didn't realise this and on the second day I saw some rat droppings on the mats in the middle row. This alarmed me and I cleaned the middle row and the front completely and didn't touch the boot. A big mistake...

The next day, the droppings were there again and in large numbers. Then I opened the hood for something and saw this small furry creature scurrying away. The mission to eliminate the rodents started. This time cleaned that car thoroughly including the boot and discovered this half eaten Bingo packet and lots of droppings.

After thorough cleaning, bought a packet of Mortein rat-kill and placed the cakes all over in the car including the boot. Didn't take the car to work. When I came back later in the day found two rats dead beneath the car. Since then no rats. The Rat-Kill cakes are still there in the car. Nephew has been read the Riot Act and banned from approaching the Scorpio within 100 meters..
Old 25th September 2008, 20:05   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post

Poison is not an option, due to having our own cats.
***?!?!? Dude, are you sure you have cats or you have mistaken something else for cats?? Rats are not found where cats are... and you certainly don't need rat poison where there are cats!!
Old 25th September 2008, 23:07   #143
Distinguished - BHPian

As mentioned in another thread, our cats get fish, chicken, catfood...

When they see a rat they sit and watch it!!!!

The car is better at killing rats than they are --- I think I posted before about the dreadful stench that that caused
Old 25th September 2008, 23:17   #144
Senior - BHPian

Gosh! Now thats truly amazing... cats catch rats even for fun! Even if they aren't hungry. All the cats I'v had or seen shoot off like missiles after rodents the moment they get the slightest whiff of one. They used to give a thought to whether they are hungry or not after they had dealt with the rat.
Old 26th September 2008, 18:14   #145
BHPian

for a raccoon you surely are a keen observer of the feline species...
Old 26th September 2008, 18:30   #146
BHPian

He's gonna think about his ID for sure. I like it though...
Regarding the pest control measures, what do I do if the roaches are settled inside my A/C vents? I shudder to think so, but you never know...
Old 26th September 2008, 18:41   #147

I have also faced this rat menace first encounter in glove box and then in the 3rd row. instead of poison I tried a Rat Trap Cage. Fixed the bait of Britannia cheese in the cage (Idea from Tom & Jerry) and left the cage in the car all night. and Guess what in morning, Stuart Little, happily nibbling Cheese. Got rid of it atlast. Saved 10k by not following stupid advise of mechanic of opening AC blower and vents and claening spraying and what not. Try this out for Mr. Little.
Old 26th September 2008, 18:48   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek.Martin View Post
Guys,

I have a similar dilemma, I spotted a big cockroach sometime back in my Getz CRDi. I tried to 'capture' it, but failed. Now, after about two months, I am seeing small roaches in my car. Looks like the big one had a 'productive' time in my car. What do I do now??? My car is just 4 months old...and already attracting pests...
Stop eating snacks in the car.
Old 3rd October 2008, 18:22   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek.Martin View Post
He's gonna think about his ID for sure. I like it though...
Regarding the pest control measures, what do I do if the roaches are settled inside my A/C vents? I shudder to think so, but you never know...
Well, if we got cats for rats, then we got... lemme see.... how about lizards for roaches? You just need a few pet lizards in your car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Android View Post
I have also faced this rat menace first encounter in glove box and then in the 3rd row. instead of poison I tried a Rat Trap Cage. Fixed the bait of Britannia cheese in the cage (Idea from Tom & Jerry) and left the cage in the car all night. and Guess what in morning, Stuart Little, happily nibbling Cheese. Got rid of it atlast. Saved 10k by not following stupid advise of mechanic of opening AC blower and vents and claening spraying and what not. Try this out for Mr. Little.
And what do you do with Stuart Little in the cage?? I'm not for letting them scot free. Because evertime I have encountered him, he has done so much mess/damage, I could just shread him to pieces at first sight!

I'd let the cats or poison do the dirty job of killing them off...
Old 6th October 2008, 08:15   #150
BHPian

Having lizards in the car is not happening. Not for anything. Can't stand them.
Anyways, the roaches are still playing around in my car, looking for some pest control people in Bangalore.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks