Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2023, 01:19   #1

Accelerator suddenly stops responding

I've a Swift VDI 2009 model with 1.16L km on odometer. I keep servicing it every 10k kms religiously. Love the car

Off late, while the car is running the accelerator will suddenly stop responding. It is as if the connection to accelerator pedal is not going till the engine.

After 1-2 tries it randomly starts working. During these random starts, accelerator suddenly touches 3000-4000 RPM without giving the push. It behaves like a loose connection.

I went to local mechanic when we got stuck near a remote area and Maruti Authorized service center too. Both times, they clean the accelerator pedal sensor and after that it works fine for 50-60 kms and the car stops suddenly in between the road at random.

Any specific part that we should get checked? Thanks in advance to the forum.
naruto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 08:10   #2
BHPian

re: Accelerator suddenly stops responding

Quote:
Originally Posted by naruto View Post
I went to local mechanic when we got stuck near a remote area and Maruti Authorized service center too. Both times, they clean the accelerator pedal sensor and after that it works fine for 50-60 kms and the car stops suddenly in between the road at random.
I would suggest to take it to the service center and ask them to plug in the SDT ( Suzuki Diagnostic Tool ) scanner and check what is the throttle input percentage as you press the accelerator pedal. The percentage on the tool should increase as you press the accelerator pedal linearly. Check for any sudden jumps in the percentage. If yes , replace the accelerator pedal.

Regards
Ashton Castelino
Ashtoncastelino is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th October 2023, 08:30   #3
BHPian

re: Accelerator suddenly stops responding

Quote:
Off late, while the car is running the accelerator will suddenly stop responding. It is as if the connection to accelerator pedal is not going till the engine.

After 1-2 tries it randomly starts working. During these random starts, accelerator suddenly touches 3000-4000 RPM without giving the push. It behaves like a loose connection.
My Ford Fiesta has the exact same issue. The mechanic drove the car and ran an OBD scan while issue popped up. The problem was with the brake switch. It constantly gave the ECU signal that the brakes were engaged. Coincidentally, the brake lights were not working too.

He told that other common reasons could be a dirty MAF sensor, faulty diesel injector and a bad throttle body sensor.

So if the check engine light pops up when the accelerator looses response, it's pretty easy to diagnose.
RiGOD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st November 2023, 01:33   #4

Re: Accelerator suddenly stops responding

Update:

Show room team mentioned that they noticed wearing out of wires which they fixed (image below)
Accelerator suddenly stops responding-whatsapp-image-20231030-10.43.08-am.jpeg

They also ran SDT2 (Suzuki Diagnostic Tool 2) which pointed out issues with -

- central module
- & heat sensors are not functioning well.

Show room folks have placed an order and will fix them when they are delivered.
naruto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 19:08   #5
BHPian

Hey,
Witnessed almost a similar problem because of a simple loose connection in the boost pressure sensor/high pressure injection pump sensor located in the intake manifold.
Would insist you to perform the steps mentioned in the quote and read that thread as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentric View Post
Hello there! My '09 Swift VDi too witnessed the same problem after I performed
intake manifold + EGR + intercooler + Turbo cleaning! IIRC, there were almost 3-4 sensors that are to be dislodged whilst the cleaning operation.

A simple loose connection in the High pressure injection pump sensor - located somewhere in the intake manifold or the fuel rail assembly (I don't recall exactly it's position) was the culprit in my case.

It means that the sensor isn't sending any signal to the ECU to activate the high pressure pump, once the engine has crossed 1800-2000 RPM.

Solution:

1. Turn off the engine.
2. Disconnect the battery and pause for 15 minutes
3. Detach the wiring from the socket of the sensor
4. Examine for any carbon deposits
5. If any, use a non-live contact cleaner to dislodge the dust and allow it to air for 15 minutes
6. Reconnect the wiring to the socket, followed by the battery reconnection
7. Start the engine and allow it to idle for 5 minutes
8. While in neutral, gently raise the throttle and check whether the revs climb above 2000 RPM and no CEL occurs in the instrument cluster
9. Now, a full blown test drive would do just fine

In my case, after inspecting the OBD codes, the mechanic just turned off the car, detached and reattached that sensor connection. That's it. The car was back to normal.

All the best.
eccentric is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2023, 21:51   #6
BHPian

Quote:

They also ran SDT2 (Suzuki Diagnostic Tool 2) which pointed out issues with -

- central module
- & heat sensors are not functioning well.
Can you care to elaborate which central module are they quoting? In the cabin there's just a body control module , and In the engine bay there's a Engine control module.

What are the error codes displayed in the SDT ?

Regards
Ashton Castelino

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks