Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2023, 19:25   #1

Tata Tigor XZ+ engine bay plastics falling apart

Hello Everyone.

I own a Tata Tigor XZ+ 2019 model purchased in may 2019. The car has clocked 50100 Km till now.

Heads up: The car while strong, compact, fun to drive in city has been a true nightmare to own. Tata sold me a lemon and car visits service centre every month or two- the longest this car has been away from service centre was 4 months that too because of my marriage falling in between and me not having time to get minor issues checked.

The current issue 1: Plastics of engine bay especially headlight plastics on the back/inner side developing cracks and on touching falling away like paper bits.

Tata Tigor XZ+ engine bay plastics falling apart-tigor-engine-bay-1.jpg

Tata Tigor XZ+ engine bay plastics falling apart-tigor-engine-bay-2.jpg

As you may see from photos the black plastic of headlight is developing cracks and all the nearby plastics have already broken. The plastic is so dry and breaks off like a potato chip.

I talked to service centre regarding this and all they had to say was headlight is not covered under extended warranty and will be chargeable to replace. Didn't give me a clear idea whether not replacing the same would be safe in long run, if the plastic of headlight breaks and water enters in.

So I need your advise on whether i should go for replacement or let it run?

Current issue 2: Engine heating up- problem found- radiator fan needs replacement second time in 3 years.
solution by tata: Your last service was delayed by 3 months (not my mistake- read on), so we will not give claim under extended warranty. I sent mail to higher managements and only 60% claim has been approved.

Past issues:

Day 1 of purchase- Bubble forming on paint- free 3m teflon coat by Tata motors. issue did not happen again

Day 3 of purchase: Window switch panel of driver side stopped working- replaced.

Day 5/6 of purchase: Right ORVM motor stuck- replaced

Day 8: Codriver side footwell flooded with AC water- corrected- AC water pipe was loose.

1 Month of purchase: Reverse parking sensor gone. changed

2 Months: Tack tack sound in steering- Rack & pinion assembly changed

3 Months: Tack Tack sound in steering again- Rack & pinion assembly changed.

5 Months: Radiator fan gone- replaced under warranty.

6 Months: Tack tack sound again- Steering spundle joint changed- issue did not arise again.

7-8 Months- Problems with ABS light switching on, gear shift issue- error code cleared and gear adjusted

9-10 months- severe vibration in cabin- engine mountings changed.

minor issues and paid service 1 year in april 2021.

July 21- rear seat locks broken- changed, paid.

Aug 21- abs light issue again with pickup falling, car severely jerking- error code cleared.

Sept 21- paid 1383 for some other issue- dont remember what

dec 21- paid 2267 for some other issue- dont remember what

apr 22- yearly service- costed 12k.

sept 22- headlight bulb gone, abs light again, check engine light again, pickup issues, car starting issues- battery change recommended- battery replaced. paid 3k for bulb and for some other lubrication & cleaning.

oct 22- abs and check engine light again along with car start and pickup issues- error code cleared

jan 23- engine mounting changed again, anti roll bar and struts were damaged (dont know how)- paid and replaced.
jan 23- rack and pinion changed again (3rd time).

march 23- breakdown- car wont start, abs light issue again, pickup issue. paid service of 4.5k- throttle body cleaning & fuel injector cleaning to resolve the above issue- issues did not resolve

march 23- water pump, thermostat failed- changed under warranty. Clutch plates also replaced under P2P programme.

march 23- issue of abs light, check engine light, lack of pick up, and jerking back again- gave back car with stern warning of approaching consumer court- issue finally resolved- the wiring harness and some sensors had rust on them- issue has not arisen again so far.

march 23- gear wont shift to second and first. 3,4,5, R worked ok.
adjusted, issue arises two more times in april- adjusted but still very tight.

april 23- service was due but service advisor said- no service needed- car has under gone so many repair and checks already.

till here car was serviced at AutoVikas Moti nagar.

August 23- gear stopped working- took to different service station- TrueNorth Peeragarhi (formerly Concorde service centre)- gear issue finally resolved but they told me that your car has not been serviced in april 23- your extended warranty will be voided now. got the car serviced immediately. paid 13k

October 23- current issue- the radiator fan one as mentioned above.

What do members suggest?
1. approach consumer court where nothing will most probably happen or 2.accept my damned fate and keep the car running.
3. sell the car? have one honda city and xuv 700, but either will get ruined in chandni chowk and karol bagh where tigor runs for office duty. my tigor is also severly scratched up thanks to these areas.
Tmittal93 is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 08:28   #2
BHPian

Re: Tata Tigor XZ+ engine bay plastics falling apart

You have had so many issues with your car and soldiered through, I would advise to let go but only if you are able to find a worthy replacement.

As you rightly pointed out your other cars won’t be able to navigate through the narrow roads you traverse. Probably go for a Maruti or Hundai for a daily beater car.
TheFonz is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 10:15   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sorry to hear about your experience. What a colossal waste of time & effort. My advice = cut your losses and move on. No pointing throwing good money / time after bad.

- Since the Tigor is used for office duty in rough areas, best to buy something durable & abuse-friendly. For choice of car, look at what Uber & Ola use. A new Dzire or WagonR will be just perfect for this kind of usage. Your running is very high & both of these cars are available with CNG kits.

Basically, you need a beater car (Beater Cars: The unsung heroes! And advantages of owning one) so that your XUV700 & City remain in top shape. Marutis are the absolute best choice for beaters.
GTO is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 11:16   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Polish the vehicle nicely and put it up for sale.

The list of replacements appear to be something a cabby who had an Indica would write in his notebook.
Kosfactor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2023, 12:29   #5
BHPian

I wouldnt buy anything from Tata above the Tiago, thanks to their QC. I would say sell it (will be an easy affair thanks to players like Spinny) and get a used petrol Tiago instead. It has great ground clearance, easy to drive, quite fuel efficient and light on the pocket to maintain, and have not heard of such stories yet. Do have a look at the service history though! Buying new for beaters is not economical. Maruti cars are great yes but you will start facing rattly panels and thudding suspension over time, not an issue if you wont nitpick.
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 02:10   #6
BHPian

Ouch that is a horror story and I'm sorry for you. Sounds quite like my Aria experience. As GTO said please don't throw good money after bad anymore and get a beater. A Dzire, Celerio or WagonR would fit the bill.
digitalnirvana is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 09:33   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmittal93 View Post
Current issue 2: Engine heating up- problem found- radiator fan needs replacement second time in 3 years.
solution by tata: Your last service was delayed by 3 months (not my mistake- read on), so we will not give claim under extended warranty. I sent mail to higher managements and only 60% claim has been approved.
Good News: after lots of pressure- tata has finally approved 100% claim on radiator fan..
Tmittal93 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 09:43   #8
BHPian

Exter would fit the bill perfectly else Grandi10 nios/Aura will do the job done.
Wagon R/Dzire body panels are too thin to handle daily abuse.
Old 11th October 2023, 13:51   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

This is a lemon, no doubts about it. Sell it and move on. Either a Maruti or Hyundai would suffice for inner city runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
I wouldnt buy anything from Tata above the Tiago, thanks to their QC. I would say sell it (will be an easy affair thanks to players like Spinny) and get a used petrol Tiago instead. It has great ground clearance, easy to drive, quite fuel efficient and light on the pocket to maintain, and have not heard of such stories yet. Do have a look at the service history though! Buying new for beaters is not economical. Maruti cars are great yes but you will start facing rattly panels and thudding suspension over time, not an issue if you wont nitpick.
Why would he sell a top end variant model (Tigor) and buy the same car minus the boot (Tiago) used?
DicKy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2023, 14:35   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Why would he sell a top end variant model (Tigor) and buy the same car minus the boot (Tiago) used?
I assumed by daily driver he means he drives a lot, like contractors and boot space wouldn't be the primary criteria - which is a good engine and transmission that lasts with regular maintenance. I have friends driving the Tiago over the tigor just because of this - reliable and safer compared to Celerio, i10 etc and own sedans/SUVs like the OP for long trips. The boot is quite spacious by comparison with its competition - a couple of small suitcases and some bags can be thrown in though its no crossover or SUV boot.
Old 11th October 2023, 16:41   #11
BHPian

So I had the 2021 Tigor XZA+ (petrol) for 2 years and so far didn't come across any issue. Then again, the vehicle just ran 6k km for 2 years and finally sold it due to non-usage (it was for my wife who then moved to another school few months after buying the car and availed the school bus service). Didn't see such issues until then though.

Last edited by rosh_aveo1.4 : 11th October 2023 at 16:43.
rosh_aveo1.4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 07:27   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
Those two cars are LITERALLY the same in every single manner, apart from an additional boot in the Tigor.
Old 12th October 2023, 08:19   #13
Senior - BHPian

Wow I had just mentioned in another thread about folks who don't go through the manufacturer's escalation matrix but straight to social media/forums but what you've endured over these years is exactly the opposite.

I haven't heard of so many issues in the Tiago/Tigor but your case refutes that. Indeed a lemon and I am surprised at the variety of issues. Stuff like "loose AC pipe" reflects a lot on the QC.

I also agree with others about moving on from this car and get a beater for your usage.
I would suggest to go for the 1200cc engines, Maruti or Hyundai.
Check out : Ignis, wagonR, DZire, Exter, i10 Nios in order.

Last edited by shancz : 12th October 2023 at 08:23. Reason: Add suggestions
shancz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th October 2023, 10:27   #14
Sen
BHPian

All I can say is that you are the epitome of patience. If I had even half these issues I'd straight-up sell the car and move on. What a nightmare! I'd suggest a secondary beater like so many responses above, and good luck!
Sen is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks