Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2023, 19:46   #1
BHPian

Pink fluid in my car's bonnet area

I own a Brezza torque converter automatic, which I purchased two months ago. I've driven a total of 800 kilometers so far, and the first service has already been completed. Yesterday, while traveling from Bangalore to a destination 250 kilometers away, I opened the bonnet(don't know why) and noticed pink, oily fluid on multiple components. I've attached some pictures for reference. I cleaned up some of the fluid, and since then, I've driven about 120 kilometers. To my observation, the same amount of fluid remains on the same components, suggesting no new fluid leak. I also had a local mechanic inspect it, but he couldn't identify the source of the issue. Notably, there are no warning lights illuminated on the MID.Please note that yesterday was the first time I drove my car at high speed, with the maximum reaching 120 km/h. The car didn't go beyond 120 km/h even with the pedal fully depressed.
Could someone please assist me in understanding what this mysterious fluid might be, and do I need to urgently visit the service center?

PS: I am not a new driver, I have done 60,000 KM on my previous car with manual transmission.

Pink fluid in my car's bonnet area-whatsapp-image-20230909-19.07.32.jpeg

Pink fluid in my car's bonnet area-whatsapp-image-20230909-19.07.28.jpeg

Pink fluid in my car's bonnet area-whatsapp-image-20230909-19.07.29.jpeg

Pink fluid in my car's bonnet area-whatsapp-image-20230909-19.07.31.jpeg

Pink fluid in my car's bonnet area-whatsapp-image-20230909-19.07.30.jpeg
dijkstraind is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 19:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Pink fluid in my car's bonnet area

Pink oily Fluid cannot be coolant. Coolant isnt oily.
To me, sight unseen, I think it can possibly be a brake fluid leak OR ATF leak. No other possibility comes to mind.
Please have the car taken immediately to the service centre and start a thorough investigation. Also keep a check on your insurance. Being a brand new it probably covers all critical Components, engine and gearbox and all.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 9th September 2023 at 20:01.
shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 20:00   #3
BHPian

This looks like a coolant leakage/splash and has been stagnant there for a long time before it was observed.

Check underside of the bonnet, do you have pink fluid splashes or marks there too ? If yes, it could be a leakage in the coolant from some of the hoses/joint, since it’s a closed loop pressurized system and getting splashed in various directions. However, as car is almost new, I’m ruling out any wear and tear issue related to the hose.

Another way to troubleshoot is to run your car and check the radiator/cooling system while it’s in hot condition. Any leakage would be visible. Check for the rubber hose connections to the engine and radiator for indications of any leakage.

Also check the overflow container of the coolant and the lid is properly closed, but coming out from there is a least possibility unless there is physical damage to the plastic container or the lid is loose, which any mechanic would have checked in the first place.

Last edited by NomadSK : 9th September 2023 at 20:21.
NomadSK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 21:21   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Please check you brake master cylinder and brake oil level on the top up bowl. More of leakage is dangerous and could affect your brake's performance. Presently please keep a brake oil refill bottle to top up everytime you see the level dropping below minimum.

And your Brezza needs to go to the service centre at the earliest to get its brake master cylinder and the system thoroughly checked.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 9th September 2023 at 21:22.
anjan_c2007 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 22:25   #5
Senior - BHPian

This could be a careless spill during a fluid top up. The fact that the recesses on top of the air filter box have so much fluid, points out that this isnt a leakage. Else the under bonnet insulation should have been full of stains and other areas too.

1. Clean all these parts of all stains.

2. Check all fluid levels (coolant, brake fluid, engine oil etc.)

3. Drive the car for a few days and recheck for any stains.

4. Keep monitoring this weekly for a month or two.

5. Also check the floor where you park your car. Does it have stains? Do they reappear after cleaning?

I am sure you will not find any stains again and also the fluids levels will stay constant.
PaddleShifter is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 05:15   #6
BHPian

Pull out ATF dipstick and check for ATF level etc. If it is pink (like milkshake) you have water/coolant in your ATF and that is seriously bad news.

However, to me the fluid looked brown, not pink.
Sumedik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 20:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pink fluid in my car's bonnet area

Find out what's pink in the car, typically coolants of OAT/HOAT types are pink, more info in Vishy76's thread (Types of Coolants and debunking myths associated with grades & colours).
Apart from that brake fluids could be reddish in colour. No idea about the ATF.

I am going with a coolant leak/spray under the occasional high load driving hypothesis.
Probably due to the coolant reservoir cap or the radiator cap not closed properly or a puncture/leak in the coolant hose. Thankfully this is easy to check and rule out.

- Check your coolant reservoir for loss of fluid, a misaligned cap(green) or any punctures. Also check if the radiator cap(next to the coolant reservoir cap) is properly closed. Instructions are marked on the cap itself.

- The pink circle in the image below is the reservoir cap(green), check if its closed properly. It usually(not sure if its the same in Brezza) has an arrow mark on the cap and one on the reservoir below which should be aligned :
Pink fluid in my car's bonnet area-temp.jpg

PS :
I once had green liquid exactly on the location you've marked on the battery and around the coolant reservoir. As expected the mechanic hadn't aligned/closed the reservoir cap properly and when the pressure was high enough it would've sprayed the coolant around. When I checked the cap was misaligned by barely a centimetre.

Last edited by shancz : 11th September 2023 at 20:59. Reason: spc
shancz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 12:09   #8
BHPian

I got it checked by the Maruti Service Center, and they also couldn't find any oil leakage. My guess is that during the car service last month, they might have spilled something. As per the service manager, there is no pink fluid in the Brezza car and the green coolant also doesn't turn pink with time.
dijkstraind is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 08:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstraind View Post
I got it checked by the Maruti Service Center, and they also couldn't find any oil leakage. My guess is that during the car service last month, they might have spilled something. As per the service manager, there is no pink fluid in the Brezza car and the green coolant also doesn't turn pink with time.
If that's the case then I guess it might be soap/detergent entry during water wash. Given the traces are minimal and at few spots near the bonnet front area. Also nothing wrong in checking the vehicle for any leaks and fluids levels at time to time.
Venkat_KM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 11:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkat_KM View Post
If that's the case then I guess it might be soap/detergent entry during water wash. Given the traces are minimal and at few spots near the bonnet front area. Also nothing wrong in checking the vehicle for any leaks and fluids levels at time to time.
In that case, water should have dried, as the bonnet area is hot, leaving behind marks only.
Old 4th October 2023, 14:08   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dijkstraind View Post
In that case, water should have dried, as the bonnet area is hot, leaving behind marks only.
As confirmed by the service manager, there is no other good explanation for pink fluid which is bit oily. The areas which are seen in the photographs are at places where the heat might not be enough to evoporate concentrate car wash shampoo.

As said by other members there is no fluid related to the colour mentioned in photograph. Brake fluid is transparent, Engine oil has bit of golden yellow/light brown colour, coolant is green/blue colour, transmission fluid has redidsh brown colour. Only other possibility is windshield washer fluid/concentrate.
Venkat_KM is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed