Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2023, 18:05   #1
BHPian

Many problems in Tata Altroz Petrol DCA (Automatic)

My cousin has bought Altroz petrol automatic an year back and he is facing a lot of issues with his car. He has shared a post in Insta adding 3 videos (he has tagged Teambhp as well), very unfortunate that he is going through this ordeal. Enough has been spoken about TATA service experience, but not sure when they will take people seriously.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cw9iHP5B...ZhOTFlYzFmZQ==

Every brand has issues, but the magnitude of issues with TATA cars is really high. Can someone please provide me with contacts for him to escalate and to make thing work. He is struggling big time with this lemon.
Attached Thumbnails
Many problems in Tata Altroz Petrol DCA (Automatic)-img_2935.png  

vvivek85 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 18:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Many problems in Tata Altroz Petrol DCA (Automatic)

Except for the noise/harshness of the engine, I cannot see any other complaint on the post or on the Instagram feed. So, is there more to it?

If I recall correctly, this is what our official review says,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
What you won't:
• Under-powered, lame & noisy 3-cylinder 1.2L petrol engine

However, if you need to quickly close a gap in traffic, you’ll have to drop a gear or two. Not really enjoyable as the engine gets noisy, with that classic 3-cylinder thrum too
I can't say if this particular car is louder than the others on the road. And probably a comparison has to be made at the workshop side by side another Altroz.

P.S: Had missed the auto switching off while running. Could it be a lean fuel-air mix or a clogged filter?

Last edited by discoverwild : 9th September 2023 at 18:47.
discoverwild is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 19:17   #3
BHPian

These are the issues which he is facing

- Apparently there’s a misfire on 2nd and 3rd gear.
-Car blocks and coughs up as if there’s no fuel at 900-1100 RPM
- bumper to bumper traffic, an automatic car gets switched off
- also if I slightly accelerate to avoid getting switched off, it jumps like a horse almost hittting the front car.
- brake gets jammed after cold start
-AC blowing hot air

Last edited by vvivek85 : 9th September 2023 at 19:19. Reason: Typo
vvivek85 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 19:31   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Why is the OP suffering at one dealership for a full year? Has the car been shown to any other dealer or any other workshop? Has he taken an independent opinion?

On the face of it, this seems to be a fueling issue. The car is E10 rated, so such issues are sort of inevitable in today’s scenario. Did he ever fill up on E20?
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 22:07   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvivek85 View Post

- also if I slightly accelerate to avoid getting switched off, it jumps like a horse almost hittting the front car.
-AC blowing hot air
No FNG nearby to do an independent analysis of the problems? A year is too long a time to sit on false assurances with such issues.
lonewanderer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th September 2023, 23:38   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

-AC blowing hot air
The first four points seem more like a fuel supply issue or a clogged fuel filter. Ask your cousin to visit a different A.S.S and get it checked thoroughly.

Get the brakes cleaned and get the brake lines bled to remove air trapped inside.

AC blowing hot/warm air instead of cold air indicates ice formation in the AC tubes. Usually happens during extended running in hot climate when the condenser is overworked. Switch AC mode to hot, roll windows down and let it run for a few minutes and then try again. This is a temporary fix.

Last edited by discoverwild : 9th September 2023 at 23:42.
discoverwild is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th September 2023, 08:38   #7
BHPian

Thanks all for your feedback, I have shared the same to him. Meanwhile, on why he didn’t check with other service centre, looks like based on his previous experiences that’s the only place MUCH better than others.

Moreover as many stated, yes my cousin could or should have checked with other places but isn’t the service guys basic responsibility to do a proper RCA and sort it out? One spends 10 BIG grands on your brand, the basic expectation is fuss free ownership. Just to clear things, I am not here to bash TATA, I recently posted my bad experience with Hyundai and in many posts I had shared about my wish to get a TATA brand in future. These kinds of experiences make me very skeptical in spending on TATA
vvivek85 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 09:52   #8

Re: Many problems in Tata Altroz Petrol DCA (Automatic)

Quote:

-AC blowing hot air
Tiago owner here since June 2017:
- Misfire in 2nd and 3rd gear: Need to check sparkplugs. Mine had faulty and hence misfired.
- No Fuel at 900-1100 RPM: Dont know why but this seems to be the tuning of the 1.2 Revotron from Tata. It's just a flat spot in that rev range.
- Car switching off in B2B traffic: Not sure, but maybe related to spark plugs or some actual issue. Needs to be checked with ASS.
- Brake gets jammed: A repeating issue in most Tata cars it seems. Happens mostly during the monsoons. The only workaround i could find is not to use hand brake when parking overnight. If i pull the handbrake even by mistake, then the next morning the rear wheels will surely get stuck.
- AC Blowing hot air: Need to check the cabin air filter and then look at the cooling / evaporator coils
salmanz1992 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 10:19   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks all for your feedback, I have shared the same to him. Meanwhile, on why he didn’t check with other service centre, looks like based on his previous experiences that’s the only place MUCH better than others.

Moreover as many stated, yes my cousin could or should have checked with other places but isn’t the service guys basic responsibility to do a proper RCA and sort it out? One spends 10 BIG grands on your brand, the basic expectation is fuss free ownership. Just to clear things, I am not here to bash TATA, I recently posted my bad experience with Hyundai and in many posts I had shared about my wish to get a TATA brand in future. These kinds of experiences make me very skeptical in spending on TATA
If your friend is from Chennai, you may suggest to him to visit an independent multi-brand garage who will do the job/s for you. IGNITE,(Mr. Raghav),on East Coast Road is a good place to get any of your steeds fixed.
Most OEM workshops in Chennai have very poor quality staff. I have personally experienced TML, Hyundai, Maruti, Honda and VW workshops in Chennai and the lesser said about the quality of workmanship the better. Most of then cannot differentiate between an onion and a pinion.

None of the problems that you have mentioned are insurmountable: Changing the ignitors should take care of the hunting issues and adjustments to the clutch pack should ensure no overheating of the gearbox hence minimising chances of stalling or shifts getting stuck.
Check the "O"-rings in the HVAC lines for splits and get the system recharged with fresh refrigerant.

Every vehicle is a mechanical object and nothing can be taken for guaranteed. Some get highlighted. Some don't. You'll be surprised to hear about dissapointing product performances and complaints from "established gobal OEM's products" selling in our country.
arjab is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 10:43   #10
BHPian

Update

My cousin received a call from TATA motors (Teambhp post is working) and they came to his place, indeed there was a “MISFIRE ON THE 2nd & 3rd GEAR”. Only God knows how this was missed by them in the last one year. Today his vehicle is taken to the same service station as advised by TATA.

On top of that, he has mailed the below to TATA. Keeping fingers crossed.

Sirs,

I hope this email finds you well, because I wrote this with pure agony.

Last year on the 9th of June 2022 my late father Shri.Subramanyan took delivery of your Tata Altroz DCA and gifted me the same. My first impression on receiving the same was to hold this car for life time as it was the car taken delivery, driven and gifted to me by my beloved father from the most trusted groups of companies of Bharath, TATA.

Right from day one of driving the car I have been facing horrendous issues as minute as air conditioner not working properly to something as big as the brakes not working immediately after cold start and vehicle getting switched off without any engine warning. Mind you it’s an AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION CAR, a DCA.

Right from my FIRST FREE SERVICE I’ve had complaints against your car as follows:

1. Left side of the horn button on the steering wheel not working.
2. Vehicle coughing up and stopping as if there’s no enough fuel (despite the tank being FULL) @ exactly 900 - 1100 RPM.
3. Brakes jamming as if there’s a wooden log underneath the paddle.
4. Air conditioner blowing HOT.

To which Mr Ramadoss of GURUDEV TATA, Arumbakkam branch, the service manager clearly stated ALL ALTROZ HAS THIS PROBLEM.

My concern here is, just because everyone is BLIND, does it mean I should dig out both my eyes with a knife?

Now comes the SECOND FREE SERVICE:

I had the same set of complaints as earlier, also this time the car makes strange NOISE like a 407 lorry or an EICHER made diesel Share Autos on Indian Roads.
I was told (Again by Mr Ramadoss) my complaints were rectified and that the car is as smooth as a butter.

It’s almost a year now and a month back I had left my Tata Altroz DCA again with the same Gurudev Tata Service station despite my bitter experiences purely hoping I will see the end of the tunnel. But to my despise and displeasure the CAR WAS STILL A JUNK!

An official came up with a laptop connected it to the ECU of my car and clearly said, “no issues shown on the laptop”.

Yesterday, that is on the 9th of September after I posted complaints and videos of the car making strange noises on the social media, one Ms.Rohini from Tata Motors contacted me and said I will be attended to as early as possible.

Two officials one Mr Rajendran and one Sr. Mechanic Mr.Anand had come and as usual connected laptop to the ECU and apparently found there’s a “MISFIRE ON THE 2nd & 3rd GEAR”. I really wish they had trusted the complaints of the customer ONE YEAR BACK. That is, since the time of “taking delivery of the car”. Which means I was delivered with a FAULTY MANUFACTURED ENGINE/CAR.

Gurudev Showrooms service manager Mr Ramadoss will be coming home tomorrow to take my car for service at 9.30am (as informed by them to me).

Now tell me what will be the course of action? Does this mean my complaints were just complaints and was not attended to for the last one year? Mere messages from your team stating I will be assisted to and helped with will definitely not help me or the trauma I had to face with THE SO CALLED BRAND NEW CAR.

Now, to make your JOB EASIER, here is something interesting:

1. There seems to be fuel supply issue or a clogged fuel filter.
2. Get the brakes cleaned and get the brake lines bled to remove air trapped inside.
3. AC blowing hot/warm air instead of cold air indicates ice formation in the AC tubes.

I’m just a SENTIMENTAL IDIOT for wanting to have this car for life time (reason explained clearly earlier) and trusting TATA MOTORS & GURUDEV TATA SERVICE STATION BLINDLY.

I’m an actor from south film industry and I truly rely on my OWN car for commutation to the shooting spot. I was supposed to leave to Ooty next week in this car. Thank goodness!!!

Completely frustrated.

P.S. My conscience doesn’t permit me to just state the faults of the car and leave out the lovely part of it. Of all the cars I’ve driven and had over last two decades, this is a car with the best turning radius. The built and safety is exquisite.

I don’t want to cremate the car as well. It HOLDS MEMORIES & VALUES.

Regards,
Chandramouli
vvivek85 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 13:16   #11
BANNED

Hi,
TATA is having a good line up and doing decent sales even their Service is bit of a gamble.
Still its not clear why they are not considering the value of customers.

Even there were lot of horror stories about their quality and reliability, Many people considering to buy Indian Brands. These kind of real time issues will surely make them to reconsider their decisions.
dmaheshkumar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 15:37   #12
BHPian

Oh God, I'm getting delivery of altroz DCA this week, hope I don't get any such issues
Burgman_tales is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 16:21   #13
BHPian

On the AC blowing hot issue, it is undoubtedly icing in the pipes - I had the same problem with my Vista. It happened only on extended runs in hot weather. A simple adjustment of the thermostat fixed it. In fact the RCA was done by TASS and they only fixed it, so I am surprised that TASS in your cousin's location has not been able to do that. Looks like there is no knowledge base of issues reported and resolved being maintained at TASS.
Neversaygbye is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 16:36   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgman_tales View Post
Oh God, I'm getting delivery of altroz DCA this week, hope I don't get any such issues
The current, BS6.2 compliant, updated Altroz is smoother and more refined than the older car, and offers significantly improved engine response. It is E20 compliant too. The issues listed by the OP are redundant in your case.

The OP needs to take his car to another Tata service Center or any reputed FNG for proper diagnosis and solution. Don’t rely on hearsay. A potentially bad workshop is anyday better than a proven bad workshop.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 18:23   #15
BHPian

Quote:

Does this happen all the time or only in cold start? It could be as simple as faulty spark plugs to something like fuel system issue. Further clarifications like does it happen when given throttle under load, revving in neutral, etc will be required for diagnosis.

Quote:
Again, could be associated with the above issue.

Quote:
Does the instrument cluster stay on? Is the engine making any unusual misfire/sounds/vibrations when switching off? Any check engine lights?

Quote:
- also if I slightly accelerate to avoid getting switched off, it jumps like a horse almost hitting the front car.
Effect from misfire. Does it happen all the time or only when engine is cold? Could be linked to above issues.

Quote:
Cold start as in overnight parking or at all times? Usually it'll be linked to rear brakes only. Cleaning the brake shoes will do the trick.

Quote:
-AC blowing hot air
Does the AC cooling work and then fails or does it blow hot air from beginning? If it blows cold air and then blows hot air over time, it's condenser freezing. If it fails after misfire, it could be the ECU turning it off due to misfires.

Proper diagnosis is required on this. The diagnostic laptop would be of great help here. But apart from the brake issue, all issues seem to stem from the misfires. Hope the technicians diagnose this one properly.

Most Viewed