Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2023, 11:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

My Mahindra XUV700 suffers an engine failure after just 4000 km

Thanks to Amit for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
I encountered a failed engine of my XUV700 after running only 4,000 km. My engine oil was dipping as I checked it after 3,800 km but ignored it at once but after running 200 km more, it started dipping even further. Realising the seriousness, I visited the nearest service centre in Noida and upon a thorough check-up found oil in the spark plug - an investigation started and these people came to the conclusion that the engine was problematic and had to be replaced with a new one.

Want to share more if you post it on your page and please let me know how to connect for more information.

Update: Observed low oil level after 4K km and rushed to the service centre to find out that the oil was coming onto the spark plugs. On further investigation, SC said that the engine had to be changed - they changed it and I received my car back with a vibration in the inner cabin which still exists in my car. Got it after 25 days at the service centre, but not happy at all with Mahindra's service. Came to know about more failed engines from the same registration month i.e. Jan 2022. The vibration in the inner cabin is unpleasant and SC is not able to understand why it is happening in spite of changing so many parts mentioned in the bill.
My Mahindra XUV700 suffers an engine failure after just 4000 km-xuv7001.jpg

My Mahindra XUV700 suffers an engine failure after just 4000 km-xuv7002.jpg
RahulNagaraj is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 7th September 2023, 12:38   #2
BHPian

Re: My Mahindra XUV700 suffers an engine failure after just 4000 km

If the SC is not helping, it's best the OP escalates this concern to the Area Sales Manager and senior honchos at Mahindra. This is a very unsavoury experience. Engine failure in a new vehicle points to severe QC lapses at the production level.
IamNikhil is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 16:23   #3
BHPian

As most of the BHPians says - DSG, Skoda, VG, Tata, Mahindra are either a Hit or a Miss. Having read so many failure stories with horrifying dealership / after sales experience - I personally have been a Toyota, Maruti and Hyundai guy. Its not that we dont hear bad stories with Japanese or Koreans - but see the probability.

While there is no doubt that these technologies and Manufacturers are giving tough competition to the Giants like Suzuki, Toyota, Hyundai - Their core processes are still not as fool proof as others
Ashdel is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 16:45   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Thanks to Amit for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via
Good to see that Mahindra / ASC is doing everything possible to resolve the problem over time, without giving up or leaving the owner to fend for himself/herself. I think its what we expect as a customer & should be satisfied with as long as we are being paid attention to, and getting a genuine service + resolution from the OEM, after taking responsibility for the failure honestly.

A mechanical failure in a man-made machine, is to be expected always. A game of probability. What makes or breaks it actually - is how the car-maker supports in such a situation. More often than not, I see M&M actually being quite good in ensuring they go the distance in resolving the issue, without trying to put the blame on the customer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashdel View Post
While there is no doubt that these technologies and Manufacturers are giving tough competition to the Giants like Suzuki, Toyota, Hyundai - Their core processes are still not as fool proof as others
And what Suzuki/Toyota/Hyundai car can a person buy, if he or she is looking for an XUV7OO/Harrier/Safari? A large car with a powerful diesel AT / more powerful turbo petrol and significantly large cabin space, while not buying a van? And we haven't even touched upon the crash survivability prospects of occupants in a Suzuki/Hyundai made for India yet .

As a 15+ year Maruti customer - I for sure will never buy anything more than a 10 Lakh hatchback (or maybe a Brezza) from the Suzuki badge. The stuff is simply too cheap in quality.

Last edited by Reinhard : 5th October 2023 at 16:49.
Reinhard is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 17:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Was the final root cause for the engine oil in spark plug investigated? Was there any failure of any soft parts like gaskets, O rings etc which could have caused this?

I fail to understand why did OP still drive for 200 kms when the issue of dropping oil was observed?
ghodlur is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2023, 19:28   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post

And what Suzuki/Toyota/Hyundai car can a person buy, if he or she is looking for an XUV7OO/Harrier/Safari? A large car with a powerful diesel AT / more powerful turbo petrol and significantly large cabin space, while not buying a van? And we haven't even touched upon the crash survivability prospects of occupants in a Suzuki/Hyundai made for India yet .
Its just a simple gamble - get a big car with all the gizmos and keep waiting to spend N number of days in the garage or have piece of mind (i choose the second one). However having lost some near ones in accidents - I strongly admire the #Safer cars which German and Indian car companies are coming with. Kudos !!!
Old 6th October 2023, 08:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Thanks to Amit for sending this in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this Team-BHP share page!
There has to be a law in the country where the vehicle will be replaced if such a severe fault occurs within the initial purchase period in critical parts such as an engine or transmission or the chassis as these are the core components of any vehicle and repairing them will not be the same as buying a new factory vehicle.
PowerSpike is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 15:39   #8

I had a problem in my XUV 700 AX7 L AT Diesel the very next day of taking the delivery. When I went for a drive with family the next morning the vehicle was simply not going above 35 kmph. There was simply no power. I cut short the drive and gave the vehicle in the Service Centre the next day. After one day they identified the problem of a sensor failure. The DPF sensor was not able to recognise the full DPF tank hence it was not allowing to accelerate, this explanation I got from them. They changed it and now it's ok though I feel a bit heavy maybe because I used to drive Honda City Petrol AT. The SC guy told that the engine might become free after 1000 kms of driving.
Maybe I got the delivery of a defective vehicle as on the day of delivery there was too much of traffic so was not able to go above 30 kmph and may be I didn't notice it because of the excitement. But it was a scary experience buying a ₹30 lacs + vehicle with a defect. Certainly Mahindra needs to raise their quality standards, it ruined my experience of buying such a costly vehicle.
Rider1802 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2023, 23:17   #9
BANNED

I too faced same situation. Mahindra made faulty Petrol 2.0Litre TGDI engine. They use same engine in ScorpioN , Thar and xuv 700.

My engine failed at 5000km , just within 2 months of purchase. Worst service center assistance.
After escalations on customer care, service center did investigation after 5 days .

Issue I observed - Engine oil quantity reduced to bare minimum level. No external leakage.

Reason Diagnosed -
Defective Head Valve guide in cylinder head , due to which engine oil leaked internally in combustion chamber and eventually burnt out from Exhaust.

Similar issues observed for more than 30 cases .
There is always a petrol engine failure case in Mahindra service centers for xuv 700, ScorpioN and Thar.

Reason is either faulty head valve guide or piston rings getting worned out within 2 months of new car.

Can you imagine how it felt spending 30Lakhs on this failed engine product?

I strongly recommend not to buy petrol Mahindra cars.
They tried to make petrol engine and failed miserably.
FailedXUVEngine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2023, 10:39   #10
BHPian

Amit - Is the problem you faced for petrol engine or diesel one?
univ_explorer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 13:47   #11

Anything to do with the driving habits for similar issues ?

I understand the turbo engines needs to be warmed up before you start moving the car in the morning and need to idle for 30-60 sec before you stop the car after the drive. Can any experts comment if this is tue

XUV 700's are equipped with the auto start stop feature. if the above understanding is correct, will the auto start stop impact the engine especially while cruising in highways and need to stop in traffic signals and toll booths ?
Old 17th October 2023, 14:00   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodkp123@yaho View Post

I understand the turbo engines needs to be warmed up before you start moving the car in the morning and need to idle for 30-60 sec before you stop the car after the drive. Can any experts comment if this is tue
100% true. At starts and at stops do ensure you idle the engine for approx 60 secs for engine oil to start lubricating the turbo bearings (at start) and to cool down (at stop) respectively. Turbos will potentially fail prematurely if this practice is not followed.

Also check out https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/showt...errerid=637340 (Why you must practice the "Idling Rule" with Turbo-Charged Cars) on Turbocharger practices

Last edited by TheCamShaft : 17th October 2023 at 14:07.
TheCamShaft is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks