Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2023, 09:20   #1
BHPian

Mahindra XUV300 : Intercooler hose replaced for the 2nd time

Intercooler hose problem

I have a 300 W8 O, bought in March '21. My wife and I had planned and did a 4000 km round trip to Central India starting the first Sunday of this month.
The first leg was 1030 km to Maharashtra.

Mahindra XUV300 : Intercooler hose replaced for the 2nd time-screenshot_2023082108263834_3d9111e2d3171bf4882369f490c087b4.jpg

We were making good time when 30 km past Cuddapah while travelling at low triple figures, I heard a loud bang, the vehicle decelerated, and the check engine light came on. I was surprised as I had done the 60000 km servicing just six days earlier.
I stopped the vehicle on the side of the road and called RSA. They were extremely courteous and arranged a tow truck, which took an hour and a half to arrive.

Mahindra XUV300 : Intercooler hose replaced for the 2nd time-img_20230806_0916262.jpg

Mahindra XUV300 : Intercooler hose replaced for the 2nd time-img_20230806_0916322.jpg

Mahindra XUV300 : Intercooler hose replaced for the 2nd time-img_20230806_102515.jpg

Mahindra XUV300 : Intercooler hose replaced for the 2nd time-img_20230806_111911.jpg

I drove the car up the ramp and to the flatbed, and both of us sat in the car, enjoying a commanding view of the surroundings on the way to the ASC at Cuddapah. We thought we might enjoy the situation as there was nothing else to do.

As it was a Sunday, they initially said they could look at it only on Monday, but with some persuasion, they took a look at it then. The intercooler to the turbo hose had blown.

After replacing it and clearing the error code, we managed to reach our destination that day and complete our trip.

The story doesn't end here. Two days after reaching home and 4000 km later, on the way to work, the check engine light came on. There was a whistling sound when the revs went up. I drove slowly to my regular ASC. The clip fastening the intercooler hose had come loose. After securing it again and clearing the error code, it has been fine so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Birdie chirps that Mahindra has issued a silent recall for the XUV3OO Diesel MT and AT BS6 variants for a possible intercooler hose crack problem/defect.
The intercooler hose had been replaced in Oct '21 as there was a recall. I am unsure if the intercooler hose has an intrinsic problem. I have decided to travel with some scotch tape for an emergency fix, as everything else is fine with the vehicle.

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th August 2023 at 21:57. Reason: Spell, grammar. Please proofread before posting.
Duckdoc is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 00:04   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: Mahindra XUV300 : Intercooler hose replaced for the 2nd time

Mahindra XUV300 : Intercooler hose replaced for the 2nd time - Post moved to a new thread.
Old 26th August 2023, 08:31   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

The second time, the loose clip can be due to improper fastening when the hose was replaced. So I would not say that intercooler hose failed twice.

PS - My bad. Did not read that hose was replaced in 2021.

Is there a chance that the hose is rubbing against something that is causing it to chaff and fail? Can you check the engine bay around the area where the hose failed to see if there are any touch points for the hose?

Last edited by sagarpadaki : 26th August 2023 at 08:46.
sagarpadaki is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 10:00   #4
Senior - BHPian

Issues like these cause loss of power and the car fails to accelerate. The car also shows signs of starting issues (longer crank etc.). Have experienced this twice in our family cars having turbo diesels. Did you experience any abnormality such as loss of power or sluggish performance when this happened?

Every owner having a turbo engine car needs to be able to identify the signs of leak due to a broken hose or lose connection/clamp as it is very stressful when this happens and the car stalls in the middle of nowhere.

If a car shows loss of power and stalls with a check engine light, the first thing to do is to check the hoses from the intercooler to the turbo, near the intercooler and then the turbo. If it is identified, a jugaad solution can be done to make the car drivable to the ASC using M-seal etc (have read people doing this on the road).
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2023, 10:08   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
The second time, the loose clip can be due to improper fastening when the hose was replaced.

Is there a chance that the hose is rubbing against something that is causing it to chaff and fail?
Yes, the loose clip was probably due to improper fastening.

The hose is not rubbing against anything, as can be sort of seen in the picture. It failed on the anterior inferior aspect (pardon me as I'm an orthopaedic surgeon) where it is free.
Old 26th August 2023, 17:59   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaddleShifter View Post
The car also shows signs of starting issues (longer crank etc.). Did you experience any abnormality such as loss of power or sluggish performance when this happened?

Every owner having a turbo engine car needs to be able to identify the signs of leak due to a broken hose or lose connection/clamp as it is very stressful when this happens and the car stalls in the middle of nowhere.
There was no issue in starting. However, there was hardly any acceleration beyond 20 kmph.

I agree that everyone with a turbo should be aware of this.
Duckdoc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 20:37   #7
BHPian

Happen to experience similar issue but in a controlled environment.
Our this car has an intercooler upgraded. The intercooler hose connecting to turbo slipped when the car was on a dynamometer with speed of ~200 kmph, the run was aborted immediately.
IIRC check engine light did show up.

The intercooler hose slipping off at around 0:04
GautamJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2023, 21:55   #8
BHPian

I have a habit of lubricating the hose pipes and rubber I see around engine bay, following this practice once in a year to keep them lubricated and soft.
Old 27th August 2023, 23:41   #9
BHPian

Sometimes service centres "wash" the engine bay using air/water. If at pressure that might lead to pipe breakage, I'm thinking.

Anyone seen that ever?
Old 24th September 2023, 18:38   #10

Hello all,
This is my 1st post and I am facing a similar issue. I took the delivery of XUV700 AX7 L Diesel Automatic yesterday. Today morning I went for a drive with family and I noticed that the vehicle is not accelerating beyond 30-35 kmph. I reached 52 kmph somehow due to a downward slope. Even after pressing the accelerator to the fullest it was not responding.
Since the distance from showroom to my home was less than 4 kms and full of slow moving traffic I could not notice this problem yesterday or maybe I was too excited to get the vehicle home.
I am surprised how this went unnoticed by the showroom people. Do you guys think my vehicle has the same problem. I am really tensed as i am facing the problem on the very next day of delivery. I have raised the issue with the showroom and they will be sending someone to check the vehicle.
I am sorry if I have posted in the wrong thread and request the admin/mods to place it in the right one.
Thanks in advance
Happy Motoring ..
Old 16th October 2023, 16:56   #11
BHPian

Having faced this on a stock 2015 CRDe thar, a blown intercooler hose pipe, I wonder if we can upgrade to better material?

BMWs etc come with plenty of aftermarket plumbing options right from silicon to aluminium and all.

What do we do for our humble Mahindras?
I've got two in contention - a thar 2022 and SN 2023. Awaiting inputs from gurus here before I pull the trigger on a dieseltronic dual channel.

P.S. Any DIY reenforcement ideas like fiberglassing it or double clamping it's ends? May sound uninformed but consider me mostly uneducated on the matter.

Last edited by wooka : 16th October 2023 at 16:59.
Old 12th February 2024, 15:49   #12
BHPian

My car has reached the milestone of 44k kms and one fine day I filled fuel and then noticed new air escaping ‘swoosh’ sound between 1500 and 2000 rpm. I thought may be it was due to poor quality fuel and later did a full tank at my usual pump. However the sound kept increasing over the next 2 days and I had used the car for 30 kms. I searched in google and found the hose had a cut . It was small, however I think it would increase if it’s driven further and lead to a breakdown. My vehicle is out of warranty and I plan to take it to an FNG and replace the inter cooler hose.

I have zero trust on Mahindra service centres. For a small issue like this they will take a whole day or two and deliver the car with new problems.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV300 : Intercooler hose replaced for the 2nd time-screenshot_20240212_154654_gallery.jpeg  

Old 13th February 2024, 12:01   #13
BHPian

Update on the inter cooler hose . The FNG asked me to get the parts myself from Mahindra dealer/ Mahindra spares parts dealer and get it to the garage for fixing it.

None of the Mahindra spare shops / dealers had it in stock. Hence placed an order and will be delivered in 2 days. Cost is 3961 for a hose.
Old 17th February 2024, 17:38   #14
BHPian

The Mahindra authorized spare parts dealer delivered the intercooler hose after 2 days and got it fixed at FNG. However , in the meanwhile the car developed check engine light and DPF error similar to what duckdoc mentioned and the FNG wasn't able to clear it

Tried booking a service at mahindra dealership , however there was a wait time of 2 days and the driver picked up the vehicle today with expected delivery on Monday. Hope they are able to fix the issue.

Errors present now :
1. Check engine light
2. DPF error
3. Vehicle doesn't mice beyond 40-50 kmph. The vehicle is in limp mode I guess.

The DPF has 3 stages of error and mine is now in the 3rd. The 1st stage error has DPF regeneration kicking in automatically, in the second the dpf regeneration can be started in park mode by user and third , the manual says vehicle might stop anytime and to contact service center.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra XUV300 : Intercooler hose replaced for the 2nd time-screenshot_20240214_201625_chrome.jpg  

Most Viewed