Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2023, 12:07   #1

Chauffeur-driven owner thinking of installing Ottoman Seats | Will it work?

Dear fellow BHPians,

I am (seriously) thinking about purchasing a BYD e6 and installing two spacious, reclining back seats, possibly the ones in Toyota Vellfire or HyCross.

I am looking at getting best of both - Vellfire/HyCross travel comfort and the VFM proposition of BYD e6.

My daily commute varies between 120 to 250 KM per day and is mostly chauffeur driven.

Is my idea going to be silly or a breakthrough one ?
cijoalex is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 11:44   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Chauffeur-driven owner thinking of installing Ottoman Seats | Will it work?

- When being chauffeur-driven, sit in the front passenger seat. It's infinitely more comfortable, more spacious & the seat is way more adjustable. In many cars, the front rides better than the rear end too. Lastly, the front seat is arguably more safe than the rear one.

- You could try a jugaad Ottoman solution. May work, may not work. All depends on how ergonomically correct the design & positioning is.

- Toyota won't sell you their seats and even if they do, it will be expensive + the fitment doubtful.

Seriously, be chauffeured in the front seat, then come back & thank me
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th July 2023, 17:10   #3
BHPian

For me ,While I understand that being driven by someone else (chauffeur-driven) may seem like a great suggestion, I, for one, always prefer being in the back seat of a car. I have a psychological limitation, as I don't feel safe in the front seat. I believe many other users might feel the same way, as it doesn't feel as secure as the rear seat, especially when the driver is fast. While the Vellfire's has more height , I have reservations about whether those seats would fit comfortably in an byd

Last edited by vishal9999 : 20th July 2023 at 17:12.
Old 21st July 2023, 22:41   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cijoalex View Post
I am (seriously) thinking about purchasing a BYD e6 and installing two spacious, reclining back seats, possibly the ones in Toyota Vellfire or HyCross.

High likelihood is, the idea will backfire. Seats for particular cars are custom-made, with specific seat height, mounting points and seat belt anchor points. Selecting a pair of seats from another car will probably mean the seats are too high or too low, and the seat belts won't necessarily fit. The only way one can figure out is by buying such a seat and trying to fit it - and if it doesn't work, there's no way to return it. Maybe a custom fabricator can make a similar seat for you, but then it would not be as comfy as the Vellfire's seat.

Buy a Vellfire instead of the BYD e6, or as GTO said, ride in the front passenger seat.
SS-Traveller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 13:11   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cijoalex View Post
Neither... people have been doing it since ages. CxO/VIP class customers retro fit luxurious 'lazy-boy' seats into their MPVs and Innovas if their only requirement is a spacious mobile office with a combo of luxury & privacy and efficiency of the Corner office.

S-Class, the 7s and 8s provide it at 2Cr today, your idea can pull it off at 1/5th the cost.

EDIT - consider 2+2 facing each other if space provides. It is the best way to host business guests on the move and talk business.

Last edited by svsantosh : 28th July 2023 at 13:13.
svsantosh is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 15:03   #6

While it maybe possible, the safety of such a retrofit is questionable.

One option is to buy a more comfortable EV. Mercedes EQB comes to mind.

Other option is Reputed modifiers who commonly mod MPVs.
Old 28th July 2023, 15:20   #7
BHPian

I would recommend to scratch this.

1. If you are not fixated on an EV, why not get the HyCross itself?

2. If BYD is fixated, you can go to local car customizers? I saw one on Youtube who gives such modifications.

He goes by Vig Auto Accessories.
Old 28th July 2023, 17:11   #8
BHPian

It might be a better idea to go for a complete custom interior by some one like DC Studio ( I used DC studio just as a reference, I know many on this forum hate their designs)

They can revamp the interior as per your liking and take care of safety aspect as well.
Old 28th July 2023, 17:16   #9
BHPian

BYD is an EV. Its a skateboard design and the battery makes up the structure of the car.

Unless such seats, specifically made for the BYD are available, it would take an absolutely skilled/knowledgeable person to understand the electricals/routing of cables underneath the floor.
anilupadhya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 14:52   #10

Not sure if it's okay to post external links here (mods, pl excuse my ignorance and delete if not inline with guidelines)

An example is this mod.

https://www.rushlane.com/innova-hycr...-12475217.html
Old 30th September 2023, 20:47   #11

Hi op

this is possible, I own a byd e6 and i am trying to get a good job done for this. one of the byd owner I know got this done, but the finish is not that great but very usable. I talked to couple of China suppliers they have a partnership in India who do the fit and finish. they quoted me 8 lakhs and the car needs to be transported to haryana.
Attached Thumbnails
Chauffeur-driven owner thinking of installing Ottoman Seats | Will it work?-img20221129wa0007.jpg  

Chauffeur-driven owner thinking of installing Ottoman Seats | Will it work?-img20221129wa0011.jpg  

Vicerie is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks