Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2023, 00:04   #1
BHPian

VW 2.0L TSI vs. Skoda 2.0L Turbo vs. Audi 2.0L TFSI petrol engines - What’s the difference?

1. The VW Tiguan comes with a 2L TSI Petrol engine - it is a 4WD I suppose.
  2. The Audi Q3 comes with a 2L TFSI engine - this too is an AWD.
  3. Then there is the Skoda Kodiaq 2L Turbo Petrol. Does this too have the same TSI as that of Tiguan or a different one?
  • I wonder if there is any difference in these engines?
  • Which of these is better for performance driving?
  • Which is better and reliable?
  • Should one consider one over the other?

These are my 3 short-listed cars and any help would be appreciated.
Adsc0230 is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 06:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: VW 2.0L TSI vs. Skoda 2.0L Turbo vs. Audi 2.0L TFSI petrol engines - What’s the difference?

The engines are identical, even in tuning I believe. I think you'll have very similar driving experiences - any differences would be down to the weight and they're not too far from each other there either!
McLaren Rulez is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 18:12   #3
BHPian

re: VW 2.0L TSI vs. Skoda 2.0L Turbo vs. Audi 2.0L TFSI petrol engines - What’s the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
The engines are identical, even in tuning I believe. I think you'll have very similar driving experiences - any differences would be down to the weight and they're not too far from each other there either!
Thank you, would the different suspension and the AWD/4WD make any difference at all to the overall drive experience (in city as well as on highways) between these cars especially between the Audi Q3 and VW Tiguan?

I am wondering if spending an extra 20-22L for the Q3 is worth it compared to Tiguan. Yes, the Q3 has badge value and offers much better exterior looks and somewhat better interior looks. However, I am questioning purely from a drive perspective in terms of the difference if any.
Adsc0230 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 21:16   #4
Senior - BHPian

To be honest, nothing works better than multiple long test drives till you find what works for you. I have only driven the Tiguan so I have no comparison but ultimately, this will boil down to your preferences. For instance, many people complain that the Tiguan has a very stiff suspension compared to the Kodiaq but I didn't feel it was too bad when I drove it.

You definitely are paying for the badge with the Q3 but you'll recoup some of that extra price down the road when you sell it too.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 16th July 2023 at 21:19.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 21:54   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adsc0230 View Post
I would pick Audi Q3.

Reason:
1. Current gen Skoda Kodiaq is at end of life. New model is incoming.
2. You would face poor aftersales with both Skoda & VW with their top premium cars. Reason being less sales resulting in less experience with technicians & availability of parts.

Another problem with 2.0 TSi with all 3 models is; its not E20 compatible.

So you will face issue once E20 petrol becomes PAN India from 01 April 2025.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 22:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
To be honest, nothing works better than multiple long test drives till you find what works for you. I have only driven the Tiguan so I have no comparison but ultimately, this will boil down to your preferences. For instance, many people complain that the Tiguan has a very stiff suspension compared to the Kodiaq but I didn't feel it was too bad when I drove it.

You definitely are paying for the badge with the Q3 but you'll recoup some of that extra price down the road when you sell it too.
I did take a TD of both Q3 Sportback and of the Tiguan this weekend. I would say I agree with you. Although the Tiguan ticks every box but it still feels like a basic car whilst the Q3 does have the badge value and especially the Sportback is one of its kind in overall exterior design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
I would pick Audi Q3.

Reason:
1. Current gen Skoda Kodiaq is at end of life. New model is incoming.
2. You would face poor aftersales with both Skoda & VW with their top premium cars. Reason being less sales resulting in less experience with technicians & availability of parts.

Another problem with 2.0 TSi with all 3 models is; its not E20 compatible.

So you will face issue once E20 petrol becomes PAN India from 01 April 2025.
Great insights el lobo. Thank you for sharing.
Adsc0230 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th July 2023, 23:02   #7
BANNED

Quote:
Go for Audi Q3 or Sportback, depending on your requirement and budget. Best among your shortlisted options, and that badge value obviously comes at a price.
aseem23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 09:26   #8
BHPian

Re: VW 2.0L TSI vs. Skoda 2.0L Turbo vs. Audi 2.0L TFSI petrol engines - What’s the difference?

If you have the need for the 7 seats, then go for the Kodiaq. Otherwise the Audi Q3 is a no brainer if your budget permits. The Audi badge on the steering wheel will cheer you up everytime you drive and if you get a Tiguan, the VW badge will remind you that you had a chance to get an Audi but you didn't. All the best for your search.
adi.mariner is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 10:31   #9
Senior - BHPian

Re: VW 2.0L TSI vs. Skoda 2.0L Turbo vs. Audi 2.0L TFSI petrol engines - What’s the difference?

Hello Adsc0230,
Quote:

-All have Identical engines gearboxes but are all tuned differently. Similarly the A4, Octavia and Superb have the same engine and gearbox(iirc) combination but the A4 feels much smoother of an experience.
-Performance driving, I imagine the lightest vehicle will be the most spirited of the three you have listed, that being said I wouldn't really much in the handling department as they are all heavy fat cars with a high center of gravity.
-Reliability wise the Tiguan and Kodiaq should be equals. Perhaps someone else can comment on the Q3.
-You will get only badge value on the Audi Q3 over the very VFM Tiguan and Kodiaq. If my budget was between the Q3 and others I would pick the Kodiaq.

Oh and the proper New Generation Tiguan and Kodiaq are both around the corner. Unless any urgency, I would suggest you wait another two quarters for the same.

Hope that helps : )
Maky is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 14:35   #10
BHPian

I enjoy driving a 4WD over front or rear wheel drives, unless you prefer tailspins around corner. Which I would presume is not the case here.

A 4WD will give you more confidence on winding roads and just more grip in general. It will also be better at putting that power down. Another think to consider is weight to engine power ratio.

I'm also gonna stick my neck out and also say that between VW, Skoda and Audi; Audi would probably have better quality control.
exhaustpipe is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 16:50   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maky View Post
-All have Identical engines gearboxes but are all tuned differently. Similarly the A4, Octavia and Superb have the same engine and gearbox(iirc) combination but the A4 feels much smoother of an experience.
Little correction here. The Octavia & Superb are identical with their FWD and transversely mounted engine + DSG gearbox. But the A4 setup is quite unique: It’s a longitudinally mounted engine but still FWD. It's a rare setup which is not generally used by OEMs. Typically, a 'north-south' engine setup is almost invariably RWD while the 'east-west' one is FWD.

As a result, the A4 drives 'differently' to a Superb or Octavia. While there is still understeer, the north-south engine mounting provides better weight distribution and potentially lesser transmission loss from the S-Tronic DSG.

A nice article:

Transverse and longitudinal engine layouts – what’s the difference? Will this still matter in the future?
https://paultan.org/2021/09/10/trans...in-the-future/

Last edited by itwasntme : 18th July 2023 at 16:52.
itwasntme is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 17:28   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Little correction here.
Thanks for the clarification.
A question as you seem to know more in-depth, I've seen S-Tronic advertised commonly in Audi vehicles. Is it just a marketing thing and its the same DQ-381 unit as the Octavia/Superb? or is it genuinely a different gearbox?
Old 18th July 2023, 17:31   #13
BHPian

My friend was on a similar boat. He chose the Tiguan purely because of the lack of auto hold feature in the Q3. The feature was a must have for him. He couldn’t digest spending 60 big ones on a car without that feature. With the Q3, you’d be spending 20 lakhs more for slightly more premium interiors and the badge. My choice would definitely be either the Tiguan or kodiaq. Wish you the best ownership experience for whatever car you choose! Cheers!

Last edited by vinj14 : 18th July 2023 at 17:31. Reason: Grammar
vinj14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 18:37   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
But the A4 setup is quite unique: It’s a longitudinally mounted engine but still FWD. It's a rare setup which is not generally used by OEMs.
Here is a nice post from Vid: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post5204202 (2021 Audi A4 launched at Rs. 42.34 lakh)

And a stunning one from JoshMachine: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5326883 (DSG, demystified! All you need to know about VW's Direct-Shift Gearbox)

As far as I know, the Audi S-tronic is identical to VW/Skoda's DSG. However, the Internet differs (as always!), Just Google S-tronic vs DSG.

Mind you, in the case of the A4 & A6 platforms, the Audi S-tronic DL501 0B5 is exclusive to Audi as (far as I know) VW & Skoda do not have such a longitudinal FWD vehicle.

Hence, in a way the A4 tranny is totally unique and possibly engineered (and built by Audi) to higher standards than a standard VAG DSG box.

https://club.autodoc.co.uk/magazin/w...f-the-gear-box
https://tvsengineering.com/en/dsg-gearbox/dl501/

Last edited by ajmat : 18th July 2023 at 22:17.
itwasntme is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 18:47   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am wondering if spending an extra 20-22L for the Q3 is worth it compared to Tiguan. Yes, the Q3 has badge value and offers much better exterior looks and somewhat better interior looks. However, I am questioning purely from a drive perspective in terms of the difference if any.
Absolutely not, just get the Kodiaq instead which is not only roomier but also comes with adaptive suspension.
Cresterk is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks