Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2023, 22:51   #16
BHPian

Re: Car cleaning peeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
For me, its hard water. Considering getting an entire filtration system for the house installed because I'm tired of water spots and drying the entire car perfectly every single time.
This. Since we have a well water supply, I have got an RO filtration system fitted ( which I assembled myself) and connected to 150L tank. This is connected to a Bosch pressure washer. It's been working beautifully for the last 2 years and saves me even wiping the car down at times. Only those who have faced hard water will know the value of this.
TheCatalyst is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 00:09   #17
SLK
Senior - BHPian

Two things for me:

1) Bonnet and roof, the largest reflective areas are kept clean and polished, make the car look extra shiny.
2) Steering leather - I dry-clean and polish it myself. But its such a touchy surface, I can never let anyone drive my car . No drivers ever.
Old 18th July 2023, 00:42   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatalyst View Post
This. Since we have a well water supply, I have got an RO filtration system fitted ( which I assembled myself) and connected to 150L tank. This is connected to a Bosch pressure washer. It's been working beautifully for the last 2 years and saves me even wiping the car down at times. Only those who have faced hard water will know the value of this.
May I ask how you made your own RO filtration system? Currently I have been looking at whole house RO system which comes for about 24k just for the product.
Cresterk is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 09:42   #19
Sen
BHPian

Window smears and people touching high-contact points like the steering wheel or handbrake lever/gearshift knob with anything on their hands. Have to clean it with water and get it all rubbed down with a clean cloth to transfer it off the surfaces.

But the window smears take the cake. I have to wipe clean the inside and outside and make sure they are perfectly see through or I go clinically insane. Especially at night. It's like people make it a point to touch your window when getting in and out of the car, and closing the door or holding it open. I cringe every time.

Oh, and dust on the glass around 10 AM and 12 PM (you know the look of it). If I see it, I have to wipe it down with a microfiber. Inevitability is the real pain. I even scratched my cluster display screen simply wiping it down a handful of times (which is understandably plastic for a reason, but man is it susceptible to scratches or what!)

As for the rest of the car, it's like whenever I think about cleaning the car, it decides to rain (the last few times over 3 months this has happened, now I'm just waiting for a good opportunity) and without a clean exterior, i cannot throw myself 100% into the interior of the car to keep it clean (mostly it stays clean due to the garbage consolidation + no eating or drinking anything except water in the car rule).

Don't get me started on those one-off bird dropping moments in stop and go traffic and on a 30 second stoppage.

Last edited by Sen : 18th July 2023 at 09:49.
Old 18th July 2023, 17:03   #20
BHPian

I use a pressure washer, two separate wash mitts, a brush for the tyres, 3M Car Wash Shampoo and a chamois cloth for vehicle wash duties. Daily dusting is handled by the trusy Jopasu duster.

One of my biggest peeves is the water that hides in trim and other places (think side mirrors) that then proceed to drip and leave a mark when dry.

I am very particular that there be no consumption of food and/or liquids in the vehicle, and I find it very off-putting seeing crumbs / stains in the carpet / seats that are then devilishly difficult to remove.

Then there's smudges on the glass areas. I like my glass to be crystal clear and invest considerable time and energy to ensure that they do.

Plastic parts, both inside and out, along with tyres, have to get the "treatment" that ensures they stay black and shiny.

Last edited by arnieshwartz : 18th July 2023 at 17:06. Reason: Edited for content.
Old 18th July 2023, 19:11   #21
MSC
BHPian

It is very hard to keep car clean if you have tiny tots at home.
The hardest part to keep clean is the door sill. If you have got kids at home, be prepared for the worst. For kids it's almost impossible to step in most cars without stepping on the door sill. Even if you use scuff plates, the top plastic part will almost certainly get scrapped and scratched.
Again, if you have kids and get them seated in back seat, your seat backs will almost certainly end up having shoe marks.
If you seat them in front passenger seat, your dashboard and glove box lid will end up with shoe marks.
My third rant, again with kids. You all windows will end up having smudge marks ranging from little fingers to even tongue marks. Tongue marks seem gross and odd, but if you look closely, you will understand what I mean.
The next hardest part to keep clean is the grill. The cars like Hyundai Venue which have multiple slots in grill will surely end up catching dust and grit which are extremely hard to keep clean.
Old 19th July 2023, 15:20   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
May I ask how you made your own RO filtration system? Currently I have been looking at whole house RO system which comes for about 24k just for the product.
Its really simple if you undertand the principle of RO system. At its core, its just a pressurized water pushed through RO membrane. The components I have put together are

Well water supply -> Pre filter -> Sediment filter -> Carbon filter (optional) -> Valve -> Booster pump -> RO cartridge -> Flow restrictor (to create back pressure).

Everything is available online or local store (cheaper). This system usually reduces the TDS by a factor of 10 to give you soft water for washing. This should cost you about 7-8K including the tank of 150L. This is not for drinking purposes, as usually there is UV stage and TDS adjuster which are needed.

The setup is easily controlled by a float switch in a 150L plastic drum tank. The pressure washer uses the water from this tank. I also use it this water for various others purposes like car washer fluid tank, aquariums etc.

I personally feel using this system for the entire house needs is an overkill and not really environment friendly.
TheCatalyst is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 23:22   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeTee TSI View Post
Badges and lettering – the zeal to clean the badges with the same attention as cleaning teeth
It's funny that you make this comparison, because I recently purchased a battery operated water flosser:
Car cleaning peeves-20230724-screenshot-11.22pm-02055.png

... and I thought it would be good for cleaning the dirt out of small gaps like car emblems and around the valve stems on wheels, etc.
Rehaan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 03:02   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

What would be a good way to clean the fins on a/c vents ? The surface design attracts dust which kind of cakes there and is very difficult to clean.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks