Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th June 2023, 13:46   #1
BHPian

Tata Altroz | Tips, Tricks & Hacks

Tips, Tricks, Hacks, Mods, technical and trivial discussions related to the Tata Altroz

Hi All,

The TeamBHP forum has been very supportive in clarifying, guiding and answering any doubts I had with the cars. Be it from correcting the requirements to clearing the air on doubts to selecting the correct model and picking the right variant, the suggestions from this community has been super useful. Recently bought a Tata Altroz XZ+ DCA and with that my sharing of experience on this forum.

Background on starting this thread:

I was just exploring and browsing the Tata iRA app. Came across the "Explore Tribe" option "My Space" section. There was an option "Altroz iRA Tribe" under "My Tribes" tab. Went in the "Feeds" tab and left my number under "Comments" section. Sharing the screenshots of the same below:

Tata Altroz | Tips, Tricks & Hacks-tata-motors-ira-my-space.jpg
My Space section

Tata Altroz | Tips, Tricks & Hacks-tata-motors-ira-my-tribes.jpg
My Tribes Tab

Tata Altroz | Tips, Tricks & Hacks-tata-motors-ira-altroz-ira-tribe.jpg
Altroz iRA Tribe section

Tata Altroz | Tips, Tricks & Hacks-tata-motors-ira-feeds.jpg
Feeds Tab

It seemed the Owners of Tata Altroz had found a way to connect through Social Platforms, especially WhatsApp to share their thoughts and help. The Admin of the group, Mr. Nishanth, shared the link/group invite to join the forum. Joined the forum and was intrigued with the discussions going on from the moment I joined. It felt I had met my like minded people speaking in similar lines.

The number of Tips, Tricks, Hacks, Mods, technical and trivial discussions happening related to the Tata Altroz made me realize that, if these get documented as an experience this will benefit everyone. Floated a word in the group and many agreed. Next was securing the approval from TeamBHP Moderators to host such information. Wrote PMs to 3 admins, Administrator, GTO, libranof1987 on the idea. It was GTO, who gladly agreed to host this information and went a step ahead to give this thread a name.

I intend to compile and share the Tips, Tricks, Hacks, Mods, technical and trivial discussions related to the Tata Altroz happening on the "ALTROZ" WhatsApp group. To avoid any privacy infringement, will avoid the personal photos, number plates. Will try my level best to bring as much technical details as possible in case of any Mods and Hacks done. With this brief, starting of the new thread. A request to all TeamBHP forum Admins, Moderators, Users, "Some of these might be bare basic know-how, already known issues with a clear guideline of fixes, trivial discussions or sheer technical things. Let us know the reference shared in this forum. Correct me/us in case we are doing things wrong. Improvise wherever required. Kindly contribute to this knowledge sharing as usual.
ssathiyanarayan is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 15:22   #2
BHPian

re: Tata Altroz | Tips, Tricks & Hacks

The initial discussions - Why only one side reverse tail light and Fog lights:

The first question was by Sudeb on "Why is there only one reverse tail light working. Is there any logic in this feature when two lamps are provisioned from the OEM, but only one functions"

Though it appeared a simple question, I didn't have a clue on the logic behind this. I couldn't come to explain this thing with clarity. There were couple of replies from the group members:

Shabbir: This is a normal practice. It's one of the thing we copied from European makers. Since there is no regulations to make two reverse lights mandatory in India, the OEMs decided to cut cost by giving just one.

Ashwanth: Exactly cost cutting on every possible level

Logic behind this:

So after many such replies, I decided to search the internet further and landed with below answers:

Reddit:
Well, the rules say that a car needs only one reversing light. Installing one on either side isn't forbidden, but it's not necessary either. There really isn't much to it, except for cost saving. The laws (not in the USA, IIRC) also dictate that a car must have a rear fog light, so the manufacturers just put the reverse light on one side and the rear fog light in the same spot on the other side.

TeamBHP Forum: Why do some cars have a single reversing light???

Found some details from Tata Motors Altroz User Manual as well. Sharing screenshots below:

Tata Altroz | Tips, Tricks & Hacks-reverse-lamps-tata-altroz-manual.jpg
Reverse Lamps

Tata Altroz | Tips, Tricks & Hacks-rear-fog-lamps-tata-altroz-manual.jpg
Rear Fog Lamps
ssathiyanarayan is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 16:02   #3
BHPian

Is PPF or Ceramic coating or Graphene coating necessary for the car. Tips to protect the same:

Vimal Raithatha:
Is PPF or any coating necessary? I've been in a dilemma of whether to get it done or not. The reason the vehicle colour is whiteand my worry is if it gets faded to yellow then what to do

Vamsi:
"Whoever has done ceramic coating, how are you parking your cars if there is no possibility to park under shade? Do you use covers? Or just leave under sunlight?"

A genuine dilemma every car owner undergoes. So here is what few members had to share:

Sathiya Narayanan: I too was in same boat. Had Ceramic coating in mind. Went to 3M. Saw their products and chose 100 gloss for bonnet and normal pp for rest of the body. The thing is they can protect against minor scratches and daily wash problems by the society personnel. If accidents then particular panel needs replacement. I saw a Merc with pp that was 8 years old, the underlying paint surface was as good as new. The owner came to redo the pp as it's overdue for replacement. By the way he had 100 gloss pp.

Only thing to take care with pp or Ceramic coating is to avoid pressure wash done on wheel footwells and sharp edges as the pp or the coatings tend to come off at that high pressure. A normal pressure washer can make a cut in the hand at the pressure setting used in car wash shops. The pp coating is loose at the sharp ends and footwells due to the profiles. If high pressure is directed there, they tend to loose glue and get damaged further.

I did PPF for my car. Under open parking in office and covered parking back home. With PPF keeping in open sun helps to self heal to some extent.
Ceramic or Graphene coatings won't shy to be sunlight. The dazzle will make it Owner's pride and Viewer's envy.

Ceramic or Graphene coating is just 5 to 10 microns in thick. At the max will help avoid swirl marks due to society help washes.
In comparison a PPF regular one is 150-175 microns and 100 gloss would be somewhere around 250 microns. It will actually have some say against scratches, swirls due to the self healing properties

Refer post #10 3M coating (Sathiya's first car | 2023 Tata Altroz XZA+ DCA (Automatic)) for full details on the PPF coating done

Refer post #24 The check for PP at 3M and again a short trip to Ranjangaon Maha Ganapathi: (Sathiya's first car | 2023 Tata Altroz XZA+ DCA (Automatic)) for follow-up check-up done at 3M after a few of application

Rohan: I considered PPF. But then thought that for the price of a ppf I can get the whole car repainted.

Dadhwal Dalip Singh: I have altroz xz+ dark color but ceramic coating not proctor properly many mor lines on body

Shabbir Ahmed: For me, ceramic worked! After driving in the rain, I honestly believed my car would be covered in water stains and filth, yet the next day, it was shining and crystal clear atleast on the outside.

Vinit Vispute: True. both coating are fine i have Graphene coating on car. its works well in rain as well as every time i get car washed. Shines like a mirror all time.

TeamBHP: Refer threads on the following:
PPF
Ceramic coating
Graphene coating

Last edited by ssathiyanarayan : 29th June 2023 at 16:10.
ssathiyanarayan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 17:05   #4
BHPian

Tata iRA app and its features:

Sathiya Narayanan: "Has anyone noticed the IRA app features not fully available to subscribers.
Also one more thing I noticed with iRA was out takes the shortest route to destination. Not the actual route travelled. Don't get the logic used by Tata Motors still

By the way has anyone tried to hardwire or have any GPS tracker installed in the car for location tracking 24X7. Sheer GPS trackers. Not the connected car tech ones like IRA. Are there products like they show in Hollywood movies were they track vehicles with a GPS tracker attached to the vehicle. Or is it movie gimmick

How to much is renewal of ira after our subscription ends. Has anyone done it
"

Sandip Gulia: "Can we track live location in ira app (Moving car And it's speed)"

Here is what the members had to say:

Ashwath: All the features that in ira app displayed working. Didn't checked theft lockdown though.

Sometimes due to network issue or net issue it doesn't work but feature wise it's working when in good network coverage

Only problem I found its little buggy and also sends message to emergency contact in the event of intruder alert. It should send message only in the event of accident

If you have 27 feature list please send i didn't seen it. So not compared side by side

If we go by this list we have more features in ira. Including listed+ trip history, driving score rest have to dig deep

I haven't tried immobilizer so far, geo fencing i have tried it works but the notification are silent not sure only in my device or for everyone

Recently on intruder alert app also making noice it's good

Because my best guess is gps doesn't on always it periodically ping gps get coordinates and app trys to draw route based on this points

Ira has inbuilt so for top models doesn't required. You just need to buy subscription. It will still cost more than 3k year gps tracker so if you have Ira go for it. All gps tracker you see in Amazon needs subscription to work. It will have sim and data connection to connect with providers so they charge you

Nah you can track with gps like in a movie. With the right gps solution. Unless you DIY some suits yourself you need to pay subscription. If you are enthusiastic enough you can DIY but definitely it will cost you more upfront but you can save on yearly subscription still needs sim and someway to connect with your handset so not worth diy

The one I worked previously sent location every 10 sec it was enterprise module so accurate location along with bearing, speed and other details to draw on a map and its route.

It's depends some are 2k some are 3k+ and they also have good app to show more details so when you see a product go to review and pray someone mentioned these details. I searched extensively for my bike didn't bother for car. Unless you want to track or use immobilizer rest of the features is not that great, after a year most will not look for driving score or trip details unless they are such enthusiastic drivers

In a standalone solution you need to bear all the cost of maintaining infrastructure it will be more than subscription. If you have fleet of vehicles then only it makes sense to go for standalone. Like a travel agency or goods transportation agency like that

Smart solutions for you: The diagnostic reports are totally useless and erroneously popping up

Alok Shivraj Sharma: All the GPS we see on Amazon or Flipkart are the same ones except for name.

I don't think there is any branded GPS here in India.

You can try the GoMechanic OBD II

https://gomechanic.in/blog/introduci...goconnect-obd/

When I had purchased for my Tata Indica Vista, they were providing free lifetime subscription. So just confirm with them once.

I had purchased GoConnect OBD for 1,699. Now it is 2,399. Still not sure if they are providing free lifetime subscription. But if you purchase their Miles Membership, then you might get free lifetime subscription.

Airtag is interesting, but it needs a nearby bluetooth device to communicate. Not sure if it will connect with any bluetooth device in the vicinity. If yes, then it would be violation of that user's privacy.

Vamsi: I initially was very interested in IRA. But the app is not user friendly it needs a lot of improvement not sure how fine it works for others though. I hardly check anything on that app now a days and probably i would not buy subscription next year unless any new features are added. I was very enthusiastic. But lost interest in it because no matter what my score is always either 9 or 10. I don’t feel it’s correct and accurate.

We can share it via IRA app. Click on navigation icon which is first icon left side bottom on the app just below “trip history”. Then click track my car (first icon left side top). And click share.

AC and engine on/off is unfortunately not available with IRA. But available with most of the other car brand connected features.

Jayesh Gyanchandani: I got Airtag instead of this, it gives me real time location in most of the cases…

This is how it looks
Tata Altroz | Tips, Tricks & Hacks-airtag-working.jpeg

It’s all embedded in iOS, user is not notified… It just communicates to any passing iPhone to learn the location. Only if I mark it as lost, it will notify a user that there’s an Airtag around In the vicinity

Vinit Vispute: I am not sure about live location sharing but Some one shared a manual of IRA a few days back.. which says we can share the location with someone. Guys pls guide if anyone tried.

Ron: IRA app takes an eternity for any function to work... The loading time it takes to perform that function is horrible. What determines signal strength? Like, what should be done for it to work fast? I too feel the same... But my car is parked jus next to my room, still poor speed of the app. I tried showing off the feature, but it never responded and it was all a joke about myself

Swapnil: Same here beizzati ho gyi Kai baar

Nitesh Palande: Yes . never worked for me till date. Because in open space with good mobile signal it didn't worked for me. Any thing I might be missing to make it work. Yes checked...both were at highest. may be need to check it in first services

Sathiya Narayanan: iRA works pretty consistent. Again the signal strength in your mobile and car determines the response time.

Once you open iRA app, check the signal strength. This is shown in the circled spot. Ensure it is atleast 2 or 3 bars. Same with your phone internet connection. Since iRA works on internet connectivity, signal strength is required
Tata Altroz | Tips, Tricks & Hacks-ira-app-signal-strength.jpeg

TeamBHP: Refer the following threads to get a good idea:
My observations on the IRA app after using it in my Safari Dark
IRA connected car tech experience on my Tata Altroz
Old 29th June 2023, 17:22   #5
BHPian

How to keep your car clean

Ron: "How do you all manage to clean the car's rear? Every time I drive and get back home, it's all dirty. Never seen this accumulation of dust in any other cars. The whole body is kinda clean, the rear is fully dirty."

This is what the group members had to comment and share:

Shabbir Ahmed: This collect way more dirt than any other hatch especially the rear

Ashwath: I think it sucks dust while driving maybe some aerodynamic design

Sumit Chourasia: Yes, it is the design that keeps the dust accumulated there. Can't do much abt it but clean it frequently
ssathiyanarayan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 17:34   #6
BHPian

Playing with Lights - Hacks by Rohan:

This post is by Rohan who played a beautiful hack with the stock lights. He has changed the lamps in main headlight and fog lamps as well.

Mine is the iTurbo XZ+ dark edition. I have switched the fog lights from halogen to LED as well.

This is how she looks with the amber film. Will share the lights setup video in a couple of days. Car is parked at a different location.

Tata Altroz | Tips, Tricks & Hacks-how-she-looks-amber-film.jpeg

This is used for fog lamps. These are quite bright but not accurate in throw. Works brilliant for fog lamps. This is a H8 connector. How ever had to pull a wire with a seperate fuse and to the battery just as a support. Stock wiring will not support this power output. Please note that none of the stock wiring has been tampered with. Also I've checked the batter output when the switch is off. There's no unnecessary discharge.
Tata Altroz | Tips, Tricks & Hacks-fog-lamps.jpeg

Using this 130 watts led bulbs for my high beam. Very good light output and precise. Good throw as well. This is a H7 connector.
Tata Altroz | Tips, Tricks & Hacks-high-beam.jpeg

Total from both is 150 watts. 75 per bulb. Using a 55 Watt per bulb HID kit from AES for low beam. Again a H7 connector. As a typical takes 10-15 sec to heat upto full brightness. But once it's heated up, output is really good. Box is in the car. Car is parked at a cousin's place for now.

Here is what the group members had to say on this:

Vamsi: That looks amazing

Abhishek: in Total its 150 watts or just 1 piece is 150 Watts

Shabbir Ahmed: How does this yellow film help? And is this legal?

Sathiya Narayanan: Spot on Rohan. With your permission I'm going to use the provided details in my thread. It's gone live in forum as well. Will share the link shortly. Won't it attract the cops

Rohan: There is no specific in India about the light output for colour (measured in Kelvin). And although it looks like dark yellow, it doesn't translate to that much in terms of actual output.
ssathiyanarayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 17:39   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssathiyanarayan View Post
The initial discussions - Why only one side reverse tail light and Fog lights:
Shabbir Ahmed:
Old 29th June 2023, 18:02   #8
BHPian

Quote:
How to keep your car rear clean
Shabbir Ahmed: rear portion of the car is soon gonna change its color to brown. takes seconds actually

Abhishek: after this trip add rubber mud flap on rear and front mudguards

Jyotis: Does that look good. I have the tiny plastic mud flaps. If you have that rubber one. Can you share a pic of that. Just to know how it will look on altroz.

Apoorav: Any online link to buy?

Sathiya Narayanan: Wanted to know does that actually make a difference than the Tata oem mudflaps

Abhishek: TATA mudflaps are short adding extra rubber mud flaps will not cost much and control the dust on rear and doors on the side... its a simple DIY trick. if you notice the area when you open door usually there also lots of mud/dust gathers if you ride on rainy day or off road. its nothing to do with looks. rubber flaps are black hardly anyone will notice. its a old concept besides cars even Royal Enfield used to provide in motorcycles. plastic mud flaps are short because if rear hits ground they will crack but rubber flaps will not crack and save rear and sides from mud

Tata Altroz | Tips, Tricks & Hacks-rubber-mudflaps.jpeg
this how u can make it look trendy matching car color

Sedans may not need this beacuse they have extended boot space but its worth for hatchback/SUV. so far this is the only thing after 1 year of use i did not like in Altroz

Premium Quality Rubber Car Mud Flaps Maruti Van Rear (Set of 2)

Jyotis: Got it. You are right. We should go for this one. I think this will look good
ssathiyanarayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 02:26   #9
BHPian

Really commend the thought behind the thread.
Painstaking work, and particular attention given for due credits.

Having said that, didn't like the style of writing. I know these are compilation of whatsapp, but please summarize the takeaways and keep it short.

Not a fan of:
Quote:
Shabbir Ahmed: rear portion of the car is soon
gonna change its color to brown. takes seconds actually

Abhishek: after this trip add rubber mud flap on rear and front mudguards

Jyotis: Does that look good. I have the tiny plastic mud flaps. If you have that rubber one. Can you share a pic of that. Just to know how it will look on altroz.

Apoorav: Any online link to buy?

Sathiya Narayanan: Wanted to know does that actually make a difference than the Tata oem mudflaps

Abhishek: TATA mudflaps are short adding extra rubber mud flaps will not cost much and control the dust on rear and doors on the side.
GreenerPlanet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2023, 02:52   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Playing with Lights - Hacks by Rohan:

[ATTACH=This is how she looks with the amber film.jpeg]2469844[/ATTACH]
Is it legal for such film to be applied on headlights? I've seen on fog lamps, but this is the first time on headlights.
Old 4th July 2023, 14:53   #11
BHPian

Re: Tata Altroz | Tips, Tricks & Hacks

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenerPlanet View Post
Really commend the thought behind the thread.
Painstaking work, and particular attention given for due credits.

Having said that, didn't like the style of writing. I know these are compilation of whatsapp, but please summarize the takeaways and keep it short.

Not a fan of:
Hi GreenerPlanet thanks. Surely will try to take of the flow when converting conversations of Social platform to the forum language.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subie_socal View Post
Is it legal for such film to be applied on headlights? I've seen on fog lamps, but this is the first time on headlights.
Hi subie_socal, the modder has been using the same solution on his 2 and 4 wheelers for quite sometime and has not faced any trouble so far. I'm sure this mod or any tampering with the originals of the vehicle shall be deemed illegal as per the RTO. So play safely with such mods. It's better until it doesn't hurt.
ssathiyanarayan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2023, 15:40   #12
BHPian

Carbon beauty - Hydro dipping mod by Vinit Vispute:

This mod is shared by Vinit Vispute from Mumbai. The regular steering wheels and the fabric on Tata Altroz variants are prone to damage with time. So Vinit took the idea of having them carbon hydro dipped to preserve their endless beauty of these parts.

Tata Altroz | Tips, Tricks & Hacks-carbon-hydro-dipped-arm-rest-door-pocket-parts.jpeg
Carbon hydro dipped arm rest and door pocket parts

Tata Altroz | Tips, Tricks & Hacks-carbon-hydro-dipped-streering-wheel-wip.jpeg
Carbon hydro dipped streering wheel WIP

Tata Altroz | Tips, Tricks & Hacks-carbon-hydro-dipped-door-handle-leather-pads.jpeg
Carbon hydro dipped door handle with leather pads

Tata Altroz | Tips, Tricks & Hacks-carbon-hydro-dipped-door-side-part.jpeg
Carbon hydro dipped door side part

Tata Altroz | Tips, Tricks & Hacks-carbon-hydro-dipped-gear-lever-pockets-1.jpeg
Carbon hydro dipped gear lever and pockets 1

Tata Altroz | Tips, Tricks & Hacks-carbon-hydro-dipped-gear-lever-pockets-2.jpeg
Carbon hydro dipped gear lever and pockets 2

Tata Altroz | Tips, Tricks & Hacks-carbon-hydro-dipped-streering-wheel.jpeg
Carbon hydro dipped steering wheel

Tata Altroz | Tips, Tricks & Hacks-carbon-hydro-dipped-parts-cockpit-view.jpeg
Carbon hydro dipped parts a cockpit view

What the group members had to share on this:

Shivang Ahuja: Nice! Can you share the costing?

Jayesh Gyanchandani: Wao. Amazing!! Looks dope. Is it a carbon fibre paint or a wrap? Did it stick well and not scraping out?

Vinit: Nope. It sticks well and will serve for years, until you scratch it hard with sharp objects

Sathiya Narayanan: Looks cool. What's the pricing they are quoting for the panels and steering wheel

Vinit: Total cost would go around 30k for Steering (carbon dip, Choice of leather and shape, they make use of the original steering) + Power button panels carbon hydro dip (all doors) + Door arm rest with leather stich

Nitin: Please share me shop address from where you did this all amazing work. This is tempting me to get it done for my vehicle

Jaiganesan Thiruvengadam: This is very much needed it get dirty very easily with fabric

Vinit: Trust Car Interiors (Car Seat Covers, Custom Modification, Paint Protection Film PPF Wrapping)

Rohan: Hydro dipping. How it is done. Do they mod the steering wheel

Vinit: It is completely customized. They removed everything from the steering and rebuild it.
Old 22nd November 2023, 16:50   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Tata iRA app and its features:
We recently purchased the XZA+(S) variant of the Altroz. There is just one higher version - which is the XZA+O(S) - which has the majority of the connected car features along with few other features.

Is it possible to enable the connected car features only later by paying extra? I will, of course, ask the service center, however, wanted to get an opinion of the forum. I am majorly interested to get the GPS car tracking, geo-fencing, engine immobilization and telematics features of Tata's IRA platform.

If not, will have to go for an after market GPS tracker.
Old 27th January 2024, 11:11   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_roy View Post
We recently purchased the XZA+(S) variant of the Altroz. There is just one higher version - which is the XZA+O(S) - which has the majority of the connected car features along with few other features.

Is it possible to enable the connected car features only later by paying extra? I will, of course, ask the service center, however, wanted to get an opinion of the forum. I am majorly interested to get the GPS car tracking, geo-fencing, engine immobilization and telematics features of Tata's IRA platform.

If not, will have to go for an after market GPS tracker.
Hi anand_roy,

Sorry for the late reply.

Unfortunately a big no. The connected car features of Tata - the iRA is factory built. So no way to enable in other variants which don't have the necessary hardware built in the car. But You having the XZA+ (S) should have iRA. Despite it being a hit and miss, it is good have something from OEM. If you are in market for GPS trackers, i've located few. Will try to update on them in some time.
Old 27th January 2024, 11:24   #15
BHPian

Short term and Long term car storage and revival:

Many of the group members had questions on short and long term car storage and how to revive the cars. So went through a couple of Team BHP threads on the topic and other car forums. Took liberty to compile the extensive data and add the inputs from my end as well. Thanks to the community for generous information shared based on individual learnings.

For short term - less than a month of unattended parking:
  • Raise the wiper blades – they tend to get hard on glass and may damage the windshield by not cleaning properly.
  • Alternatively apply talcum powder in wiper blades and cover with a soft Microfiber cloth. Helps to fight hardening.
  • Use rodent spray and secure against the rat menace. If possible prepare a wire mesh to cover up the bottom of the car against any rat menace and also pests.
  • Fill tyre pressure at around 3 to 5 psi above normal psi. I personally prefer to fill 40 psi and leave it.
  • Fill fuel to full tank.
  • Disconnect all accessories which are hard wired - dash cams, any electronics specifically. Take out all battery-based appliances from the vehicle.
  • Cover your car with cover of your parking is open or prone to too much dusting.
  • Safely secure car and leave it.

For long term – more than a month to year:
  • Raise the wiper blades – they tend to get hard on glass and may damage the windshield by not cleaning properly.
  • Alternatively apply talcum powder in wiper blades and cover with a soft Microfiber cloth. Helps to fight hardening.
  • Use rodent spray and secure against the rat menace. If possible prepare a wire mesh to cover up the bottom of the car against any rat menace and also pests.
  • Fill tyre pressure at around 3 to 5 psi above normal psi. I personally prefer to fill 40 psi and leave it.
  • Apply wax or ceramic spray on the car outside to protect against immediate elements.
  • Drain the fuel out of the tank.
  • Remove battery terminals.
  • Disconnect all accessories which are hard wired - dash cams, any electronics specifically. Take out all battery-based appliances from the vehicle.
  • Leave desiccant bags inside car
  • Polish the leather interiors and dashboard, armrest, door pad areas.
  • Raise the car on stones or permanent jack arrangement and keep them secure.
  • If the above is not possible, then keep stones or wheel wedges before the tire. Helps to hold the car in position.
  • Disengage hand brake. For automatic cars engage P mode and leave it without handbrakes.
  • Safely double wrap your car.

Care to take before starting a car parked for long term:

Some prerequisites before starting the work:
  • Buy cleaning supplies, stuff to clean the interior and exterior – leather interior cleaning (Waxpol), Dashboard cleaner (3M/ TurtleWax), Glass cleaner (3M/ TurtleWax), Low pH Shampoo (3M/ TurtleWax), Wax/ Ceramic spray (3M/ TurtleWax)
  • Buy a good mask in case there is mold on the interior.
  • Locate nearby Battery shop – helps in case the battery is dead or terminally low on charge levels.
  • Contact details of Road Side Assistance (RSA) or nearby SC or local mechanics.
  • Flashlight.
  • Basic toolkit and an air filter

Guidelines to start:
  • Open the car using the key, leave the doors open for some time before you enter.
  • Clean the seats and surfaces that you are likely to touch.
  • Remove any mold on steering wheel, dash, door panels, seats using wet wipes.
  • Open the bonnet and inspect for Rat and associated damage, see if everything is intact and no foreign material in the engine bay.
  • Check the air filter for any debris (rats) and shine a light into the exhaust and do a visual inspection.
  • Check the hoses, fluids, if there are any drips under the vehicle.
  • Check Under the engine bay for any Oil leakage marks.
  • Check Suspension area, if any oil built up on it.
  • Check Exhaust pipe should not be jammed up.
  • Clean the cabin air filter. Replace the same at SC or workshop.
  • Remove the battery and take it to the battery shop, see if it can be charged else buy a new one.
  • Install new or charged battery.
  • Check engine oil for consistency. Better to flush all residual oil and refill at the workshop or SC.
  • Use WD40 to the hinges and any rusted areas.
  • Check coolant level – just a confirmation before start up. Better to flush all residual oil and refill at the workshop or SC.
  • Inflate the tires to regular psi and see if they rotate freely.
  • Fill some fuel – buy in jerry cans and use fresh fuel, not stored ones. Ensure to flush the tank at SC or workshop.
  • Check for the pedal movement, a completely free pedal may indicate an issue, and so a totally jammed one.
  • Bring the key to ignition and watch out for any warning lights and listen to any abnormal noises, if everything is okay wait for 30 secs to 1 minute and fire it up.
  • Idle for 2 to 3 minutes and then drive for 10 kms or 30 minutes.
  • Keep using the brakes intermittently to remove rust on the discs until the groaning noise of the brakes disappears.
  • Don’t go hard on immediately, wait for the engine to warm up and then go pacing.
  • Get the car pressure washed and deep vacuumed by proper detailers. Do this if you are not into DIY and interested in getting hands dirty. Mention them that the car was parked for long term and ensure they do the proper cleaning. A coat of diesel wash and deep vacuum helps to restore car back to good shape.
  • Wax/ Ceramic spray the car - 3M/ Turtlewax/ Collinite 845 Insulator wax
  • Clean interior using the interior, glass and plastic parts – Interior cleaner, Dashboard cleaner, glass cleaner.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks