Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2023, 02:35   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Ioniq 5: What modifications can improve rear windshield airflow?

I got an IONIQ 5 recently. The car is notorious for its lack of a rear wiper. Because of the way it is designed - featuring a top spoiler with a lip that obstructs airflow, water and other material do not easily run down the glass.

Here's an [article explaining the issue], and here's a visualisation of its airflow.

The lip inside the spoiler here is what interferes with the angle of the airflow and prevents dust removal.

While getting rainwater out of my rear windshield is not a pressing issue, the dust that accumulates there certainly is. I live in a very dusty area - more than the average Indian urban city. And the I5 prevents air from clearing up the dust and sand that accumulates on my rear windshield after every single trip. It's super annoying. I don't want to be dusting the car every time I take it out.

I haven't been able to find a solution to this but I guess this applies to loads of cars without rear wipers, or even those with wipers but similar designs - like the Audi Q8. The Kia EV6 solves this with a design featuring a large lip on top its tail lights - this prevents dust and grime from going all the way up to its windshield.

So my question is - what modifications could be made to prevent dust build up on such designs, or even actively clear it while driving? Would a rear spoiler help? Or a coating to the glass to make it repulsive to sand? A number of IONIQ owners have tried variations of these solutions but from what I've read, they've by and large given up and accepted the situation. I'm not sure I can do that.
huygens is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 10:26   #2
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Ioniq 5: What modifications can improve rear windshield airflow?

Would ceramic coating on the rear windshield help? That should prevent things like dust & water from sticking to the surface.
amitgupta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 10:33   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huygens View Post
It's super annoying. I don't want to be dusting the car every time I take it out.
I'd suggest a Jopasu type duster for the time being. It really takes only 10 seconds to quickly run it on the rear glass.

We used to have the same issue in our last-gen Creta which did not have a rear wiper.
itwasntme is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th June 2023, 15:21   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...the dust that accumulates there certainly is. I live in a very dusty area - more than the average Indian urban city. And the I5 prevents air from clearing up the dust and sand that accumulates on my rear windshield after every single trip. It's super annoying. I don't want to be dusting the car every time I take it out.
Can you post a photo of the extent of dust accumulation, both an exterior pic and one from the inside, to visualize the extent of loss of view?
Quote:
A number of IONIQ owners have tried variations of these solutions but from what I've read, they've by and large given up and accepted the situation. I'm not sure I can do that.
Reddit (was that you?), ioniqforum and many motoring magazines have been discussing this for a long time without a solution, and Hyundai has just given the 2024 Ioniq 5 a rear wiper to sort things out. Maybe, once you get Ioniq 5 parts on Boodmo, you can perform a DIY job and fix one to your car? Till then, just grin, clean and bear it!
SS-Traveller is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 10:34   #5
Team-BHP Support

Pics would help.. but without even seeing the issue, only thing you can do and comes to mind, is to keep a simple spray bottle with squeeze combo and use that every morning you start. Using some ceramic and water bedding solutions on glass may help, but no fool proof solution. Used to have same issue with first generation swift I had with me.

https://www.flipkart.com/pro99s-1-wi...8965229628_gmc
Jaggu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2023, 17:54   #6
BHPian

Get a dedicated windshield coating on the glass like CarPro Flyby Forte

As listed on the site, it helps in -
  • Extreme Glass Abrasion Resistance
  • Repels water, dirt, dust, salt, ice, and snow
  • Suitable for any glass type: Auto, Marine, Aviation, and more
  • Improves night vision

I had this on my SX4 a few years ago, and it definitely helped with making the windshield and rear glass easier to maintain. Longevity was around 1 year.

There are quite a few such products now from other manufacturers as well.
nishsingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 14:44   #7
BHPian

Thank you everyone for these replies! Will be trying these suggestions out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitgupta View Post
Would ceramic coating on the rear windshield help? That should prevent things like dust & water from sticking to the surface.
This is certainly an option I'd try. Although from whatever I've read so far, it seems it's much more effective for water than dust. Still worth a shot though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
I'd suggest a Jopasu type duster for the time being. It really takes only 10 seconds to quickly run it on the rear glass.

We used to have the same issue in our last-gen Creta which did not have a rear wiper.
Yes using a Jopasu for now but that's only for pre-ride and post-ride situations. What I want is to prevent dust accumulation in the first place - which happens within 10 minutes of driving it. This is my first car so I guess I'm still in that obsessive phase about keeping it good looking at all times lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Can you post a photo of the extent of dust accumulation, both an exterior pic and one from the inside, to visualize the extent of loss of view?

Reddit (was that you?), ioniqforum and many motoring magazines have been discussing this for a long time without a solution, and Hyundai has just given the 2024 Ioniq 5 a rear wiper to sort things out. Maybe, once you get Ioniq 5 parts on Boodmo, you can perform a DIY job and fix one to your car? Till then, just grin, clean and bear it!
Yes that was me on reddit. A rear wiper feels like a resort to me - perhaps modifications to the spoiler or something else are easier to do? I could just insert things in there to angle the airflow better? Attached pics below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Pics would help.. but without even seeing the issue, only thing you can do and comes to mind, is to keep a simple spray bottle with squeeze combo and use that every morning you start. Using some ceramic and water bedding solutions on glass may help, but no fool proof solution. Used to have same issue with first generation swift I had with me.

https://www.flipkart.com/pro99s-1-wi...8965229628_gmc
Some pics here. You can see the dust accumulation on the rear windshield and on above the taillights. The rest of the car is much, much cleaner. The rear is affected because of its aerodynamics. So far, what I think I can do is put a spoiler above the tail lights to prevent dust from going higher, or adding something to the top spoiler to angle the airflow towards the windshield directly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishsingh View Post
Get a dedicated windshield coating on the glass like CarPro Flyby Forte

As listed on the site, it helps in -
  • Extreme Glass Abrasion Resistance
  • Repels water, dirt, dust, salt, ice, and snow
  • Suitable for any glass type: Auto, Marine, Aviation, and more
  • Improves night vision

I had this on my SX4 a few years ago, and it definitely helped with making the windshield and rear glass easier to maintain. Longevity was around 1 year.

There are quite a few such products now from other manufacturers as well.
How effective was this with dust? Water is not an issue for me.
huygens is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 16:13   #8
BHPian

Quote:
This is certainly an option I'd try. Although from whatever I've read so far, it seems it's much more effective for water than dust. Still worth a shot though.
The water just slides down. Per my understanding & what I've seen on my current & previous cars - ceramic coating does not prevent dust but it doesn't allow dust to stick any harder which means you could just wipe your car lightly with a dry microfiber cloth/duster & it will all go away without presenting any resistance.
amitgupta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 17:24   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So far, what I think I can do is put a spoiler above the tail lights to prevent dust from going higher, or adding something to the top spoiler to angle the airflow towards the windshield directly.
Do you really want to spoil the clean rear looks for such a minor issue, just clean it in the morning, won't take more than 1-2 mts with the squeeze bottle.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th June 2023, 17:32   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Do you really want to spoil the clean rear looks for such a minor issue, just clean it in the morning, won't take more than 1-2 mts with the squeeze bottle.
Cleaning it every day and it does take just one minute, yes. It's back to being unclean within 5 minutes of taking it out though and that drives me nuts.
Old 14th June 2023, 00:44   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
...perhaps modifications to the spoiler or something else are easier to do? I could just insert things in there to angle the airflow better?
Is the spoiler easily detachable? I think I read one of those ioniqforum discussions where someone did that, and has a cleaner & dust-free windscreen now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks