Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2023, 22:28   #1
BHPian

Oil level almost twice the max mark | Now what?

Hi,
My 2021 BS6 Diesel Altroz is experiencing higher level of engine oil since purchase.

SVC are hopeless as usual. Last year they replaced the injectors but this year too, when the time came for oil change the oil level was way higher than Max mark in dipstick (almost twice above max mark)

Only explanation I can think of is some how diesel is mixing with engine oil, causing its level to rise gradually.

Looking for advise to future course of action.
Sameer016 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th May 2023, 23:34   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: Oil level almost twice the max mark | Now what?

That because extra diesel was pumped in to create higher temperatures to regenerate the DPF. The chances are that you use the car for short journeys. You need to give the car a good fast run once a week to let the DPF regenerate properly.

Last edited by SDP : 20th May 2023 at 21:28. Reason: Minor typo
ajmat is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 07:43   #3
BHPian

re: Oil level almost twice the max mark | Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
That because extra diesel was pumped in to create higher temperatures to regenerate the DPF. The chances are that you use the car for short journeys. You need to give the car a good fact run once a week to let the DPF regenerate properly
This could be the reason. I primarily use it for shortish rides. Probably explain my low fuel efficiency as well. But is diesel mixing with oil not a failure of some sort like packing, gasket?

And DPF cleaners from like Liqui Moly works?
Old 19th May 2023, 08:38   #4
Senior - BHPian

Re: Oil level almost twice the max mark | Now what?

Quote:
That because extra diesel was pumped in to create higher temperatures to regenerate the DPF. The chances are that you use the car for short journeys. You need to give the car a good fact run once a week to let the DPF regenerate properly

Does it mean a failed/aborted DPF passive regen can make diesel enter the oil sump. Not sure on that unless there's some other issue in the chamber like bad tolerances with piston rings, cylinder walls etc.

Yes the ECU does spray more diesel to make the exhaust temperature conducive for DPF regen. But if the rpm isn't good enough, it aborts the process I guess. Ideally diesel shouldn't reach the sump under any circumstances. Please correct if I'm wrong.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 10:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

I did some asking around. Below Mercedes document(dated 2012 though)shared by bhpian Grease_Monkey. That pretty sums up the issue at hand faced by OP, more so with him confirming that he's often driving the car for short distances and also corroborates what ajmat mentioned .

Though most of us know diesel isn't a choice for short city commutes in BS6 era and for predominant city usage, I just wonder what are the perils of diesel mixing with engine oil?
Attached Thumbnails
Oil level almost twice the max mark | Now what?-screenshot_20230519_100705_samsung-notes.jpg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf SB-10062616-2280.pdf (333.9 KB, 230 views)

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 19th May 2023 at 10:25.
Bibendum90949 is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 12:38   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
..I just wonder what are the perils of diesel mixing with engine oil?
While you wont find any immediate harmful effects, it will definitely be decremental over the long term. Engine oil is primarily present for lubrication and diesel dissolves the purpose.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 12:45   #7
BHPian

Diesels are forcing you to go on longer drives

At this rate new driving behaviours will have to be learnt. Things are getting difficult for diesel powered engines. Should be encouraging hybrids even more for efficiency and environment.
PreludeSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 12:47   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sameer016 View Post
Hi,

Only explanation I can think of is some how diesel is mixing with engine oil, causing its level to rise gradually.

I would advice you to get some attention of the service manager and get a closure to this issue. Periodically check the oil level after its fixed.

Previous thread on the same topic.

Link (2021 Tata Altroz DPF issues and engine failure | Good experience with Tata's After Sales Service)
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 16:09   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Among the perils that come with BSVI diesels ! Please get your car thoroughly checked up and have the diesel-oil mixture drained and the oil sump cleaned thoroughly, refilling the engjne oil. Please replace the oil filter and other components if any, as required. Else, starting with the head gasket, other components could get damaged in the long run with excessive oil in the engine.

The engine needs to do a long run of at least 20 kms a week. The issue will be most likely resolved if the car is taken for a long drive every week.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 19th May 2023 at 16:12.
anjan_c2007 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 21:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Among the perils that come with BSVI diesels ! Please get your car thoroughly checked up and have the diesel-oil mixture drained and the oil sump cleaned thoroughly, refilling the engjne oil. Please replace the oil filter and other components if any, as required. Else, starting with the head gasket, other components could get damaged in the long run with excessive oil in the engine.

The engine needs to do a long run of at least 20 kms a week. The issue will be most likely resolved if the car is taken for a long drive every week.
Ok for sake of clarity, I drive 50km (one way) on Highway with mixed traffic once a week.

I agree the engine that DPF will not heat up in normal short drives but not able to heat up in 50 km drive is mystery to me.

I baby my car, do a proper turbo idling, warm the engine on a cold start, never accelerate hard, shift @~ 2k rpm, and yet here we are.

My car has odo with 31k kms and has gone for two major service, never got more than 18 kmpl with overall mileage of 16 kmpl. In the latest service they claimed to change oil, filter, air filter, brake oil etc and charged me 8250/-

Post DPF issues Ive altogether stopped using the car in the city, mostly use my activa.

Initially I thought DPF issue is different from oil mixing issue and your inputs are clearing my multiple doubts.
Old 20th May 2023, 09:47   #11
BHPian

This was the oil level before 30k oil change
Oil level almost twice the max mark | Now what?-20230409_1816451.jpg

This was last year at 15k oil change
Oil level almost twice the max mark | Now what?-img202203051129501.jpg
Sameer016 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2023, 10:04   #12
BHPian

Quote:
I baby my car, do a proper turbo idling, warm the engine on a cold start, never accelerate hard, shift @~ 2k rpm, and yet here we are.
Have come across members recommending a bit of spirited driving for DPF regen. may be letting shifting at higher RPMs say 3K - 3.5K during your onc a week 50km drive will help.
Old 20th May 2023, 11:54   #13

You mentioned earlier that you shift before 2k. The thing with BS6 diesels is that for the DPF to reach the optimum temperature you've to rev it. And since the DPF won't be able to reach the optimum temperature issues like these are common in BS6 diesels. So driving spiritedly once a week will keep your engine happy. I'll attach a reference from Altroz's manual and you can see that in case the DPF light appears you've to drive in 3rd gear at around 50-80kmph(basically over 2000 rpm) for 10-15 minutes. So you can go ahead with the same practice once a week and probably your engine oil level will be the same. Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails
Oil level almost twice the max mark | Now what?-screenshot_2023052011495071_e2d5b3f32b79de1d45acd1fad96fbb0f.jpg  

Deucalion is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th May 2023, 12:31   #14
BHPian

A great video explaining this issue.
purohitanuj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2023, 16:39   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
My 2021 BS6 Diesel Altroz is experiencing higher level of engine oil since purchase.

SVC are hopeless as usual. Last year they replaced the injectors but this year too, when the time came for oil change the oil level was way higher than Max mark in dipstick (almost twice above max mark)

Sorry to hear about this Sameer. But then the issue can be avoided if you follow this -

Quote:
In almost all Altroz diesel owner groups, over 70% of the owners have this complaint. Bs6 diesels need to run longer distances to stay clog free.

My Altroz diesel has run 46500 km without a single dpf issue/ diesel mixing with oil issue.

Here's what mine looks like

Oil level almost twice the max mark | Now what?-20230520_163512.jpg

Avoiding short trips, taking the engine to 3000 rpm for a few minutes, a few times a week will be enough to stay trouble free.

Once you start enjoying that punchy 1.5 turbo diesel in the 2750 - 3500 rpm band, you will keep doing it often. I do it almost daily and I still get 18 kmpl overall actual T2T fuel efficiency. From time to time, its totally okay to accelerate hard

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th May 2023 at 17:01. Reason: A word. 'Engine mixing with oil' would be expected behaviour, eh? :)
PrasannaDhana is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks