Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th April 2023, 12:53   #1
BHPian

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder | Hybrid System Failure

It's been back to back issues for me with the new hyryder.

1. I had a huge issue with the driver side door not closing properly. I had to apply extreme force to close it. Later found that this is a design issue as the air locked inside the cabin does not allow it to close smoothly. If i keep any of the windows open, the problem is solved. The SA was helpless as there was no fix available and i am forced to live with this problem.

2. After a month of taking delivery, the car shocks started giving a weird sound when someone getting inside the car or getting out. I took the the car to the service center, they mentioned that there is an issue with the rear shocks and they told me that they would get it replaced free of cost. I had to wait for another 25 days to get the parts in as they did not have the stock.

3. Three days back, my car started giving Hybrid system malfunction error..No idea behind the error. I left the car at the service center today. The team is cluless and they need to investigate.

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder | Hybrid System Failure-whatsapp-image-20230410-12.14.19-pm.jpeg

Forgot everything else, the paint quality of the car is sub standard...Even the road side small plants leave very deep scratches on the car painting. This never used to happen in my previous vehicles.

Last edited by motorheart : 10th April 2023 at 12:56.
motorheart is offline   (61) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 09:52   #2
BHPian

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheart View Post
Sad to hear that you are going through so many issues after paying a premium price.

1. Try closing driver side door of a new Creta or i20 at a showroom. It will behave the same. There is nothing wrong with the door. What you said is right. The air cannot escape and hence the issue. On top the new rubber lining also plays the part. Why it doesn't happen for the other doors beats me.

2. Rear shock issue is new. Hope we don't start seeing it in other cars. Also, Toyota has a tendency of fixing things when something is found faulty. Customer conflicts are lesser in comparison to other competitors.

3. Hybrid system malfunction error - I have a feeling the service folks messed it up during maintenance. Its a complex system.

Keep us posted on the root cause of this issue. Thanks for your post.
OpenRoads is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 17:39   #3

Quote:

1. I had a huge issue with the driver side door not closing properly. I had to apply extreme force to close it. Later found that this is a design issue as the air locked inside the cabin does not allow it to close smoothly. If i keep any of the windows open, the problem is solved. The SA was helpless as there was no fix available and i am forced to live with this problem.
I'm facing the same issue with my Hyryder. I wouldn't say it needs "extreme" force, but you have to deliberately put more effort in closing the driver side door. I've been facing this since the day of the PDI. It's been almost 6 months and 8200 kms and the issue still persists. I've seen somewhere in this thread that the issue got resolved over time, so hopefully that would be the case.

Quote:
3. Three days back, my car started giving Hybrid system malfunction error..No idea behind the error. I left the car at the service center today. The team is cluless and they need to investigate
Any update on this? It is quite worrying seeing this on a new car. Hopefully it is something minor. Also, out of curiosity, which service centre are you visiting in Bengaluru?
Er_Who is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 18:18   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Er_Who View Post
I'm facing the same issue with my Hyryder. I wouldn't say it needs "extreme" force, but you have to deliberately put more effort in closing the driver side door. I've been facing this since the day of the PDI. It's been almost 6 months and 8200 kms and the issue still persists. I've seen somewhere in this thread that the issue got resolved over time, so hopefully that would be the case.
I did hear a solution to this in a Youtube video, that is, to close the door from a closer distance/angle than you would normally do.
Probably it's the high volume of air that we pull inside when we try to close the door from a larger angle (sometimes with all of one's might ) that is causing the issue.
jaysonline is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 06:48   #5
Team-BHP Support

Re: Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder | Hybrid System Failure

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder | Hybrid System Failure - Posts moved to a new thead.
Aditya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 12:53   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenRoads View Post
Sad to hear that you are going through so many issues after paying a premium price.

1. Try closing driver side door of a new Creta or i20 at a showroom. It will behave the same. There is nothing wrong with the door. What you said is right. The air cannot escape and hence the issue. On top the new rubber lining also plays the part. Why it doesn't happen for the other doors beats me.
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Er_Who View Post
I'm facing the same issue with my Hyryder. I wouldn't say it needs "extreme" force, but you have to deliberately put more effort in closing the driver side door.
There is an air vent inside the car through which the inside air escapes when doors are closed. I believe it may be clogged or it may have a design issue (likely since many cars seem to have this problem) where in the vent does not open easily. Toyota or the dealer can check the vents and see if they are operating freely

Take a look at this video by Chrisfix which explains this vent in cars.
sudeepg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 13:25   #7
BHPian

Toyota is scurrying about to meet the heavy demand for this car. Clearly quality control has taken a backseat. Of late, the VFM quotient for Toyota cars, well most cars has reduced as most are simply price gouging the customer whilst cutting down on quality. Sadly this will continue till we as customers start rejecting their products. And dont get me started on the whole cross branding with Suzuki.
@PetrolheadASH is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 15:58   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. I had a huge issue with the driver side door not closing properly. I had to apply extreme force to close it. Later found that this is a design issue as the air locked inside the cabin does not allow it to close smoothly.
Every vehicle has a drafter, which is essentially a rectangular aperture stamped in the body - in - white, with a rubber flap in front. You shut any of the doors, the pressurised air pushes the rubber flap, it opens and equalises the pressure in and out of the cabin and the doors close smoothly.
The location of the drafter can vary, dependinf on the BIW and body design but usually the drafter is located behind the rear bumper, on the body panel on which the rear bumper is mounted. Or it can be on the bottom or trailing edge of the rear quarter panel typically in the zone where the side of the rear bumper wraps around the rear bodywork.
Might be worthwhile to open up the rear bumper and check whether the rubber flap has its free pendulum motion or not. It can be that it is stuck restricting the egress of the cabin air.

Quote:
2. After a month of taking delivery, the car shocks started giving a weird sound
Should not have happened. Faulty batch of dampers probably?

Quote:
3. Three days back, my car started giving Hybrid system malfunction error. No idea behind the error. I left the car at the service center today. The team is cluless and they need to investigate.
It can be some high voltage coupler or connector has come adrift or having a loose contact. Even moisture content on the terminal pins can result in such errors.
I hope it is a simple issue and nothing drastic. Fingers crossed!

Picture of a typical cabin pressure release vent

Toyota Urban Cruiser Hyryder | Hybrid System Failure-cabin-pressure-release-vents.jpg
arjab is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 04:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's been back to back issues for me with the new hyryder........Even the road side small plants leave very deep scratches on the car painting. This never used to happen in my previous vehicles.
Your thread starter is of great interest to most of us, motorhead, bearing in mind that Toyota has a near bullet-proof reputation. Regarding the door-closing difficulty, I can say that I've had a similar situation (tho' in a much milder form) with the door on my Thar. I can only add that you can rest easy in your mind that your car's cabin is as near water-proof as one can hope for!!

A far more serious issue of course, is that of the hybrid malfunction. The system is seriously complex and fault-tracing an equally complex affair. But with new cars, even with Toyota's pre-delivery scrutiny, there can be minor glitches which may be overlooked (loose connectors, unions and the like). Looking forward to your next post and the solution to this issue
Old 9th May 2023, 21:59   #10
BHPian

Sad and shocking to hear about these issues from a Toyota!

Toyota being known for quality and reliability should be proactive in addressing these issues. Hybrid malfunction is definitely one that gives heart attack to the owner. It’s the defining feature of this car and has to be seen and managed as an engine failure.

These complex systems require capacity building for engineers and technicians at dealer level. A good understanding of the tech is absolutely essential. It remains to be seen how this progresses, considering the tightening relationship of Toyota India with MSIL and complicated platform sharing arrangements.

Also of note is the perception of hybrids as an interim solution to the petroleum problem.
Old 11th May 2023, 14:02   #11
BHPian

Quote:

1. I had a huge issue with the driver side door not closing properly. I had to apply extreme force to close it. Later found that this is a design issue as the
So sorry to hear about these issues so soon in a Toyota!

I have seen identical plant/bush-made scratches on my OG Glanza, but that car had been cooked in MSIL plant as far as I know, which is not the case with Hyrider. Hope Toyota is not using MSIL paint procedure on their new cars.

I have noticed same malfunction error on a Hyrider test drive vehicle here in Kolkata. The sales guy told that it is a negligible software issue. But I rejected the idea of getting Hyrider and got Nexon Jet instead.

Toyota service guys are very smart and knowledgeable as per my experience. Hope your issue is resolved without a fuss.
Old 27th June 2024, 21:40   #12
BANNED

Quote:
3. Three days back, my car started giving Hybrid system malfunction error..No idea behind the error. I left the car at the service center today. The team is cluless and they need to investigate.
Hello Fellow BHPians,

I own Grand Vitara Alpha Plus which is equivalent to V Hybrid. Right now my car is in the workshop with the same issue.

On a highway drive, after 30km, I got this message(Hybrid system malfunction) and there were instructions to park the car and contact the service centre. When I stopped, I noticed smoke coming from the engine bay. I tried to open it, but the metal was too hot.
When towed to the Hyderabad service centre, after inspection they got to know that the engine misfired and the sleeves of the pistons were completely burned.

I would like to know the solution to this malfunction as Maruti Nexa folks have zero knowledge. At one workshop, they started doing experiments on my vehicle which led to more damage.

Can I know what was done by Toyota to solve this? I need help with this. Also, can I know the service centre contact so that I can seek advice for the solution?

Last edited by Turbanator : 27th June 2024 at 21:52. Reason: spacing, spell, grammar. Please proofread before posting.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks