Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2023, 04:52   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Performed a Filter paper & quantity check at IOC petrol pump

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
Can’t ask the friend of my father but - he shortly after that talk went too fast on the ECR, swerved to avoid a dog and his beloved Ferrari went up in flames - making his private petrol pump redundant!
The accident was covered on TBHP - the person in question was also injured. I hope he's ok now.
Old 28th April 2023, 08:21   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TejasV View Post

I think it is true as I was getting lower mileage when I filled for Rs.3000 in my car but didn't see a drop when I did a tankful.
Owners should always opt for tankful If it is feasible, I have had similar experiance
sunilarkt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 08:39   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
The accident was covered on TBHP - the person in question was also injured. I hope he's ok now.
He had quite severe burns and was air lifted to the US. Spent quite a bit of time and money there and is ok now.
thirdmainroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th April 2023, 13:55   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayclicks View Post
So we should be safe with a full tank and auto-cutoff method for cars?
I also feel this is most safe way to go with a full tank. Been working for me for last Decade atleast and I don't recall filling up a specific amount unless it wasn't one of my cars. I paid by a card 99% of the time so any random amount wasn't a problem.

I used to frequent a HP pump in my hometown which was famous for shenanigans like this and there wasn’t any alternative nearby. Hence the strategy to fill full tank.
Old 2nd May 2023, 22:35   #20

I am frequent to an IOC pump which is barely 500 meters away from my place and every time, I either fill up for 20/30 ltrs or the nearest amount to that - normal fuel is 101.94 in BLR so I ask them to fill fuel for 1020 or in multiples of that. I have seen consistent mileage received that way: 11.5/12 kmpl (for my 2011 i20)..

On occasions when I filled in multiples of 1000's or frequent denominations, I have seen a mild reduction in the mileage 11/11.5 kmpl (so I think there might be something with the calibration for those values..

I've tried the same method with other fuel pumps HP/BP and have also found mileage to be a tad bit lower when filled for standard amount compared to my conventional method or rounding to nearest whole number..
Old 9th May 2023, 10:40   #21
BHPian

I had a recent experience with filling up my first gen Toyota Fortuner.

I usually fill up tankful at my closest IOL petrol pump but since I was travelling to pune this weekend I asked fill Rs 1000 worth diesel so I could fill up full at the expressway pump since it's a tad bit cheaper.

My car already had exactly 1/4th tank before the fill up. But after filling Rs 1000 worth diesel @ 94.41 Rs per liter (10.59 liters) the fuel gauge didn't move at all. I noticed this while leaving from the pump. So I immediately took a u turn and went to the same dispensing machine and told them fill Rs 1000 more and before that showed him the gauge. After filling again the gauge didn't move at all. By now I was sure something is wrong but wanted to confirm it before I could raise it up. The attendent too seemed shocked. I asked the attendent to fill again worth Rs 1000 but this time the gauge shot up to 3/4th tank.

This has never happened before in my 20 yrs of driving. Maybe a bad or stuck gauge?
Old 13th May 2023, 22:29   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhijeetveer View Post
I had a recent experience with filling up my first gen Toyota Fortuner.

This has never happened before in my 20 yrs of driving. Maybe a bad or stuck gauge?
Stuff like this is what I referred to in my original post when I asked TeamBHP members to be more active in checking quality and quantity.

I too always had doubts on quantity, quality and would feel like it would be an unnecessary hassle to ask for a check and rest in peace.

But with my experience with how eager the pump was to cater to my request I am now really empowered to ask for tests when I get an inkling of a doubt. It takes but a few minutes to test, and there’s no payment involved, for even the 5 liters that goes for checking - which by mandate should not be charged to a customer.

This is precisely why I posted - hoping that all of us would ask for tests when in doubt, and especially at the petrol pump that we most frequent!
thirdmainroad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 15:43   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post

I tested on XP95, which I usually fill.
Great info ! Thank you.
Just curious, what is the colour of XP95 fuel ? I have suspicions of normal petrol being passed off as XP95 in some notorious IOC bunks, meaning to find out if the colour of XP95 is different..
Old 21st May 2023, 11:30   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Game_of_Roads View Post
Great info ! Thank you.
Just curious, what is the colour of XP95 fuel ? I have suspicions of normal petrol being passed off as XP95 in some notorious IOC bunks, meaning to find out if the colour of XP95 is different..
XP 95 has a brown tinge to it. Darker than normal petrol.

If in doubt about the quality in a pump, please check. It’s our right to demand a check, and petrol stations are mandated by law to never deny a customer a check.
thirdmainroad is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks