Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2023, 23:52   #1
BHPian

Digital multi-information display goes blank

Hello, requesting guidance from experienced forum members on odometer data being blank on my car's display.

Car - Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi 2009 (Odo - 1.21L+)
I will provide 2 photos. 1st : normal ; 2nd showing the malfunction.

This issue came few weeks ago.
After driving for few good hours, screen goes blank. Then after few hours it comes back again slowly (in a dim way) and finally brightens up fully after few more hours of driving or night halt.

This happened many times. So, I was comfortable as display would revert back.

However, now it has been more than one day, with various many breaks, and display has still not recovered.

It is not a major issue, as fuel gauge is working so I can fill up the car and continue to drive normally, but it is still a nuisance to see it blank all the time and not knowing how much I have traveled. Recently, I went to Kasauli (HP) and onwards journey was clocked, return was blank.

Also, screen going blank is not a computer issue as everyone it came back I could see the updated numbers. So clearly, computer is calculating fine. Its the screen that rejects to show them. Even when, display starts to come back slowly/being dim, I can see the numbers changing

Has anyone faced these issues? (Fiesta and Figos featured same console)

What are my options? Is it an expensive fix? I think this is a unique part and will require the whole dashboard to be taken apart.

Mods, I apologise if I have posted my query in the wrong section

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Digital multi-information display goes blank-20230409_084728.jpg  

Digital multi-information display goes blank-20230424_195359.jpg  

CoconutCar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 23:31   #2
BHPian

Re: Digital multi-information display goes blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutCar View Post
Hello, requesting guidance from experienced forum members on odometer data being blank on my car's display.
Has anyone faced these issues?

Regards
I faced a similar situation some time ago with my Baleno which resolved on its own. There might be some loose connection I guess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek2652 View Post
A new issue cropped up in my five-year-old Baleno. The instrument cluster TFT screen stopped working all of a sudden. This issue happened earlier once but when I reached MASS it resolved on its own. This was resolved again by itself. Guys, what could be the issue? Loose connection, heat, low battery ( haven't changed battery till now).
vivek2652 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 09:07   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoconutCar View Post
Has anyone faced these issues? (Fiesta and Figos featured same console)

What are my options? Is it an expensive fix? I think this is a unique part and will require the whole dashboard to be taken apart.
I don't have a ford fiesta, so my answer comes with some caveats. IMO, your display is working ok but the underlying PCB has some issues. Especially, the data signal wires. Unfortunately, the whole dashboard has to be taken apart and troubleshooted.
srini1785 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2023, 00:18   #4

I was experiencing a similar issue on my Hyundai Xcent (2013). The display used to come back for a couple of days and disappear again. Sometimes it would go static just like a frozen computer! I was adviced by all around to have the entire cluster swapped. However, I was keen to check it myself before settling for a swap. I spent a good sunday taking apart the dash and checking the entire harness underneath it. In the Hyundai Xcent, there are several multi-pin connectors right under the dash on the driver's side connecting peripherals to the car's BCM etc. I unclipped all those connectors and checked each and every one for sulphation. In fact I took time to clean them with WD40 and a toothbrush. Subsequently, I snapped them back into their receptacles and before I actually fitted everything, turned on the system to check and voila! The display was back with all the info. I scrolled through the menu and all worked fine. It has been almost 15days since, all is well. So I'll suggest, take a dig at the connectors under the dash before you settle for a swap or try re-doing the traces on the cluster PCB. It's not unnatural for the cluster PCB traces to develop snags due to weather and age but it's not so common. Take your chances with the connectors before you dig into the cluster! Hope you have it sorted at the soonest!
MotorMaven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2023, 14:54   #5
BHPian

Thank you all.
I will have the connectors checked and cleaned before I do any major thing.

Regards

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks