Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2023, 19:30   #1
Senior - BHPian

Brand-new Audi A6 | Car not starting

Hello everyone,

We purchased a MY2023 Audi A6 45 TFSI Technology in November 2022 and have been enjoying the car to the fullest so far.

However, today the car sputtered and stalled on the highway. On trying to restart the car, it starts but shudders and switches off. I had spoken to the Audi showroom and they initially suspected the remote key fob battery to have drained. But the situation was the same even after trying with the spare key. We have currently got the car towed to the workshop and await diagnosis.

Based on the symptoms, I personally suspect one or more injectors or the fuel pump but I am no expert.

I have come across another thread with the exact same error but it pointed out to contaminated fuel. However, in our case we fill fuel from one particular HP pump only and have been filling fuel at the same pump since the time we have bought the car so not sure if this could be the problem.

Below are the errors on the MID. Apologies for the low quality and blurry pics as this was taken by my driver.

Brand-new Audi A6 | Car not starting-audi-a6-mid-1.jpeg

Brand-new Audi A6 | Car not starting-audi-a6-mid-2.jpeg

Brand-new Audi A6 | Car not starting-audi-a6-mid-3.jpeg

What could be the possible issue here?

Last edited by Epic : 21st March 2023 at 19:38.
Epic is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 21st March 2023, 20:33   #2
BHPian

re: Brand-new Audi A6 | Car not starting

An almost brand new car breaking down can't be a good feeling. But it's pointless to speculate - only a diagnostic scan can tell what has gone wrong.

Please ensure you get a full list of error codes that the car has - ask your SA to send you a picture of them without just clearing them away. This is important in case this issue recurs even after they fix and send the car back.
d3mon is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 08:27   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Brand-new Audi A6 | Car not starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
I have come across another thread with the exact same error but it pointed out to contaminated fuel. However, in our case we fill fuel from one particular HP pump only and have been filling fuel at the same pump since the time we have bought the car so not sure if this could be the problem.
BHPian Vidzy saw a similar error in his new Audi A4 and it was nailed down to poor fuel quality - link to post (2022 Audi A4 Premium Review | A case for the base spec | EDIT: 14,500 kms up already!).

This error does seem related to the fuel system. Do update once you hear from the workshop.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 11:12   #4
BHPian

Similar thing happened to a Superb owned by my dad’s friend. It was down to the quality of fuel used. He filled up from the BP pump in Lonavala. Thankfully, he could drive till the end of the expressway before the car started stuttering and shuddering. The ASC cleared out all the fuel in the tank, and had to replace 2 injectors to make it run properly. It was a 3 month old car too.
revsperminute is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 11:13   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
This error does seem related to the fuel system. Do update once you hear from the workshop.
I honestly highly doubt the poor fuel quality issue in my case as we fill fuel from a particular pump near our office only. The car was bought in November 2022 so it has visited that fuel station only multiple occasions. Till now, we have never filled fuel anywhere else. However, I do hope they do not blame poor fuel quality for this issue as I believe that would not be covered under warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by revsperminute View Post
Similar thing happened to a Superb owned by my dad’s friend. It was down to the quality of fuel used. He filled up from the BP pump in Lonavala.
We had a 2016 Skoda Superb TDI which was replaced with the Audi. Never had such an issue with that car. But in your Dad's friend's case, the fuel was filled from a pump in Lonavala which could have adulterated fuel.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 22nd March 2023 at 13:37. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts. Kindly use the Quote+/Edit functionality to quote multiple posts.
Epic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 11:22   #6
BHPian

Quote:
We had a 2016 Skoda Superb TDI which was replaced with the Audi. Never had such an issue with that car.
In my experience, German diesels are much more robust than their petrol counterparts. Especially the pre-dpf era engines. At the end of the day, only the mechanics will be able to say what’s wrong with your A6. Hope it’s back on the road soon. Do keep us updated.
revsperminute is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 11:26   #7
BHPian

Quote:
I honestly highly doubt the poor fuel quality issue in my case as we fill fuel from a particular pump near our office only. The car was bought in November 2022 so it has visited that fuel station only multiple occasions. Till now, we have never filled fuel anywhere else. However, I do hope they do not blame poor fuel quality for this issue as I believe that would not be covered under warranty?
Bad fuel won't effect the car instantaneously.

It will take time (depending on how bad the fuel really is) for the bad fuel to affect your injectors or fuel pump in a noticeable way.

Dirt and grime in the fuel will deposit over the internals of the drive system over time and when it reaches a critical mass will it actually start effecting the car's drivability.

Bad fuel definitely won't be covered under warranty.
If I were you I'd hope it is as simple as bad fuel. Hope you find a speedy resolution.
veedub89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 11:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Were you filling XP 95 petrol or the regular ones? The A6 needs the xp95 I think.

The audi service experience has been good for me at Bangalore and I presume it’ll be good at Mumbai too. They will get it right and will cover under warranty hopefully.
Old 22nd March 2023, 14:24   #9
cka
BHPian

Thanks for sharing. It will be helpful to get more information on the issue and what is the right fuel to be used. Please keep the thread updated. Moreover, how can we do a quality check everytime we go to a petrol pump? There is also a lot of confusion on whether premium fuel should be used in German cars. I drive an Audi A3 diesel and have tried filling Xtragreen from Indian Oil petrol pumps. However, I stopped using premuim fuel as I was not sure if it is the right choice and also petrol pump attendents didn't have any training/clue/information around this. Will be helpful is someone can put light on this.
cka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 18:16   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Did you use HP Power or some other fuel with additives ?
Old 22nd March 2023, 20:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Were you filling XP 95 petrol or the regular ones? The A6 needs the xp95 I think.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cka View Post
There is also a lot of confusion on whether premium fuel should be used in German cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by goenkakushal View Post
Did you use HP Power or some other fuel with additives ?
We have been advised from day one from the Audi team not to use any fuel with extra additives. Only regular unleaded fuel is to be used and we have been following this practice from the time of purchase.

I expect an update from the service centre tomorrow on the nature of the issue. Will update on the same.
Epic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 22:21   #12
BHPian

Pretty sure this is owing to poor / adulterated fuel. I would be surprised if the service center diagnoses the problem to be something else.

Quote:
However, in our case we fill fuel from one particular HP pump only and have been filling fuel at the same pump since the time we have bought the car so not sure if this could be the problem.
I know there has been a trust factor so far with the pump, but do burn (complain to the right authorities plus name and shame them) should faulty fuel get confirmed as the issue (since you have filled from these guys always).

I believe with these cars, it is more important to finalize the right petrol pump first. The dealer, the detailer, the service center are all secondary.
Old 22nd March 2023, 23:55   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cka View Post
I drive an Audi A3 diesel and have tried filling Xtragreen from Indian Oil petrol pumps. However, I stopped using premuim fuel as I was not sure if it is the right choice and also petrol pump attendents didn't have any training/clue/information around this. Will be helpful is someone can put light on this.
I've been using Xtra Green for over a year now and I can vouch for a fact that it has significantly improved throttle response on my 1.6 lakh kilometer 1KD Fortuner. It is just a higher cetane fuel (as claimed by IOC). I know at least one other petrohead who keeps his cars running for long (10-20 years long) swear by Xtra Green.

Quote:
We have been advised from day one from the Audi team not to use any fuel with extra additives. Only regular unleaded fuel is to be used and we have been following this practice from the time of purchase.

I expect an update from the service centre tomorrow on the nature of the issue. Will update on the same.
Hoping that you get a resolution soon. XP95 isn't a fuel with additives. It is just a higher octane fuel. Unleaded is 91 octane and XP95 is 95 octane (as claimed by IOC). Most TSI/TFSI engines are rated at a minimum of 95 octane. The owners manual will have the specifications.

There is no guarantee the same pump cannot dispense bad fuel. It may not be intentional. Suspended particles or contaminants in fuel can settle at the bottom of the tank and could have been pumped into your car's tank. The source of the contaminants could be many, the storage tank at the refinery, the transportation tanker or even the storage tank in the pump.
cooldip is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 08:53   #14
BHPian

Well, I believe either the VAG group has an issue or it’s just poor luck, been owning Mercedes and BMWs petrols for over a decade, never had any such issues across 4 petroleum cars, but it seems to be a similar pattern in Škoda, Audi and VW, so might just be that either the fuel filter or any other part shared across the board is not upto the mark, in anycase a brand new car breaking down hurts, rather any well kept car breaking down hurts, but this even moreso, hope this is taken care under warranty or atleast partly under goodwill , happy driving ahead
Old 23rd March 2023, 17:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

UPDATE

So we got the report from the Audi Service Centre and unfortunately the issue has been created due to rats eating on the harness that has connections to the fuel pump and ECM. There is also an ECM error showing. The estimate given is around 8 lakhs. This damage is not covered under warranty but can be claimed under insurance which the obvious way to go.

I have however been told that I can receive the car with in a week if the harness is available in India else it can take more than a month if it needs to be imported. My fingers and toes are crossed now.

Here is a photo of the damage.

Brand-new Audi A6 | Car not starting-audi-harness.jpeg
Epic is offline   (24) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks