Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2023, 15:52   #1
BHPian

Premium Petrol | Yes or no? | Which brand?

Ethanol blending is a harsh reality that we cannot escape in today's climate conscious times and the govt. seems to be fully committed to increase the spread. There have also been a lot of queries and discussions on the effects of ethanol on life of parts and fuel efficiency on the forum.

This coupled with the reducing mileage of my car (from 15kmpl to 13kmpl in one year, which i suspect could be partly due to fuel composition) prompted me to consider completely moving to the premium fuels on offer. My running in Delhi NCR is around 60km per week with a 700-1000km long trip per quarter, the car is 2 yrs old with1.5L NA engine and CVT automatic.

Can BHPians please share their thoughts on:
1. Does the low running justify going for premium fuels? What is the cost benefit analysis?

2. Which brand gives better results (IOCL/HPCL/BPCL or any other)?

3. Another option is to get normal petrol from Reliance/Essar/Nayara if they are not blending?

4. Should i just wait for the fuel level to drop low and then refill with premium petrol or get the normal petrol completely drained from tank first and then refill?
Totoro11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 16:08   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Premium Petrol | Yes or no? | Which brand?

There is no benefit to be had from premium fuels in a car like yours. Your engine is tuned for 91 octane, and that is the minimum octane rating sold anywhere in India. Any advantage of using higher octane is purely placebo.

The loss of fuel efficiency over the past year can in part be justified by the increased amount of ethanol that is now being blended. Ethanol’s caloric value is 30% less than normal petrol, using blends leads to loss of both performance and efficiency. All petrol sold in India is ethanol blended, irrespective of the brand. 12% is the current minimum.

In fact, premium fuel like IOCL’s XP100 is E15.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2023, 16:18   #3
BHPian

I had used premium petrol ( and diesel) in the past, mainly Speed and Power. But didn't observe much difference in performance or mileage with my previous cars.

But my perception changed completely when I used XP95 on my Kushaq. The refinement, performance and fuel efficiency is noticeably better.
Old 5th March 2023, 16:31   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmplog View Post

But my perception changed completely when I used XP95 on my Kushaq. The refinement, performance and fuel efficiency is noticeably better.
Kushaq is different. The engine is optimised for 95 octane, with 91 octane being the minimum allowed. The same is mentioned in bold and capitals in the owner’s manual as well as on a sticker at the back of the fuel filler. That is why it performs better on XP95.
Old 5th March 2023, 17:36   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
There is no benefit to be had from premium fuels in a car like yours. Your engine is tuned for 91 octane, and that is the minimum octane rating sold anywhere in India.

Ethanol’s caloric value is 30% less than normal petrol, using blends leads to loss of both performance and efficiency. All petrol sold in India is ethanol blended, irrespective of the brand. 12% is the current minimum.

In fact, premium fuel like IOCL’s XP100 is E15.
Thanks, I was looking to go for premium in the hope that it will not be blended. However, your last sentence put paid to those hopes.
Old 20th February 2024, 10:51   #6
BHPian

Re: Premium Petrol | Yes or no? | Which brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Kushaq is different. The engine is optimised for 95 octane, with 91 octane being the minimum allowed. The same is mentioned in bold and capitals in the owner’s manual as well as on a sticker at the back of the fuel filler. That is why it performs better on XP95.
Any idea what Kia Seltos 2023 Turbo DCT is optimised for? I suspect it's still 91 octane, but not sure.
Old 13th August 2024, 00:12   #7

Re: Premium Petrol | Yes or no? | Which brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sufficient_shop View Post
Any idea what Kia Seltos 2023 Turbo DCT is optimised for? I suspect it's still 91 octane, but not sure.
Per the manual:

Quote:
Your new vehicle is designed to use only unleaded fuel having an Octane Rating of RON (Research Octane Number) 91 / AKI (Antiknock Index) 87 or higher. (Do not use methanol blended fuels)
They don’t mention the 'optimized' octane value but do state it's 'designed to use 91 or higher'.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks