Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2023, 16:00   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Cataclysmic Engine Failure of my 15-day old Maruti-Suzuki Grand Vitara (Strong Hybrid)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Do you mean some fault in the coil? But will the dealership be so naive to ask for the replacement of the engine without checking basic things?
That's what I am wondering...
Old 9th March 2023, 08:03   #32
BHPian

Re: Cataclysmic Engine Failure of my 15-day old Maruti-Suzuki Grand Vitara (Strong Hybrid)

I think Toyota-Maruti have been banking on the fact that the reliability of these Toyota hybrid engines are pretty decent and weren't expecting such issues to crop up at all.

Makes me wonder if the launch of this hybrid lineup of GV/Hyryder was a bit rushed, and the manufacturers didn't really anticipate any major problems like this to crop up- they probably haven't held a training course for all the mechanics and staff at the service centers teaching them exactly how these engines work.

The hybrid models that they(Toyota) did release in India, the Camry, undoubtedly has a very small ownership base, and this makes such incidents even less noticeable. I think Toyota-Maruti will have to soon figure out what's going on, and they must really start training programs for the techs that work on these cars.

Really unfortunate that this has happened to OP, one of the reasons people buy new cars as opposed to used, is peace of mind- they believe issues won't crop up for a while since it is new, and I've experienced this firsthand after buying a used car, my family was not too thrilled about how much money has gone into it.

I hope the issue is solved by changing the engine, and hope things turn around as soon as everyone gets more knowledge about these hybrid engines.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 10th March 2023 at 22:00. Reason: formatted for better readability
CzechItaliaMoto is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th March 2023, 21:56   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CzechItaliaMoto View Post
I hope the issue is solved by changing the engine, and hope things turn around as soon as everyone gets more knowledge about these hybrid engines.
Every problem has a root cause. Unless detected at early stage it can proliferate into multitude of problems, which may go beyond the scope of repair-way with passage of time, and may prompt for replacement of the entire assembly of components. While providing a loaner car to the customer in distress, agreeing to replace the entire engine etc. mark the customer friendly gesture of the service centre, the basic expectation from them is to diagnose the root cause instead of eluding it. I am eager to know the root-cause analysis from the service centre, which the customer should be provided with on demand. Merely changing the engine in this case won't solve the issue in the long run without addressing the root cause.

Last edited by Blooming Flower : 10th March 2023 at 21:58.
Blooming Flower is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2023, 01:05   #34

Engine replacement is the max you can get even if you go to the courts to fight it. I would also prefer to get a brand new car as a replacement as the vehicle is only a month old. Thus you have no choice but to go for it. On the flipside engine failure is an extreme case & coming from Maruti is even scarier. I am sure we would have been very agitated about it if it came from the german brands even if it was a 1-in-a-million case but with Maruti we can give them some leeway. After this incident, if I have 20lks to spend on a vehicle i would not be spending it on a Maruti for sure.
Old 21st March 2023, 09:49   #35
BHPian

Over a 20L car and just 15 days old having this issue is a BIG concern. Is there no law in India for such things as I do believe that MSIL should replace the car. This may be native but OP deserves a new car.

I think you should take a legal advise on this first but be prepared for mental agony. Or if time is an issue, just go for replacement and extended warranty as other members advised.

Another option should be to ask MSIL to buyback the car as I understand from your post that the replacement would not give you mental peace and honestly, don't think you'll ever enjoy the car with that in mind.
devilicious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 18:40   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnandSancheti View Post
Engine replacement is the max you can get even if you go to the courts to fight it.
That maybe the bitter truth.

Engine replacement is fine with the case of normal cars, here we have a Hybrid running on maybe the Atkinson cycle, maybe an engine replacement will not solve the case, the engine has to mesh with the other hybrid components. I still think its a gamble if he agrees to the engine replacement. Very dicey situation to be stuck in. Paying hard earned cash and not getting its worth is something that eats you away from the inside
TheARUN is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2023, 10:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parth_enzo View Post
This post is on behalf of my uncle who picked up a Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara Intelligent Electric Hybrid Zeta+ (Strong Hybrid) 1.5 CVT

There was a mild noise being observed which was coming out straight from the engine. Next morning, I immediately took my car to Kataria Automobiles Service Center, Vapi to get my car inspected... The next day I again visited the Service Center and to my shock and surprise, the noise was no longer mild, but I was very loud like a tractor. It was a clear indication that there is something seriously wrong with the engine...

The Service Center is now offering me to change the complete engine assembly...

I kindly requests bhpians and senior members to advise me on this issue.
What the update on this issue ? Has your uncle agreed for change of engine assembly or he's contesting it ?

My friend was looking to buy Grand Vitara, but based on your post and the Hyryder video you posted, I have asked him to delay this purchase for few months. Now he's also looking for other options in this price bracket.
Old 28th March 2023, 14:49   #38

Guys a quick update on this thread!

The entire engine assembly has been replaced by MSIL with a fresh one and they have given us an extended warranty on the engine for 1 lakh kms. The car runs just fine and I have not observed any abnormality as such. Overall, I feel the engine replacement was a better idea to avoid all hassles along with the loss of business we were to face. The car sat at the ASC for a month.
parth_enzo is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 4th April 2023, 13:28   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by parth_enzo View Post
Guys a quick update on this thread!

The entire engine assembly has been replaced by MSIL with a fresh one and they have given us an extended warranty on the engine for 1 lakh kms.
I still believe 1 month was way too much of downtime for a brand new top of the line Japanese engine, that too made by Toyota.

Either way, happy that you got your ride back. Is there any preliminary root cause for the engine failure which they have provided?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks