Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2024, 13:23   #31
BHPian

Re: Performance Mods for Tata Revotron engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer1 View Post
Cheaper Turbo
The turbo in the newer BS6 engines is cheaper than the one originally designed by JA Motosport. Does not mean it is worse any way. But it is cheaper, which means certain dynamics that apply there will not apply to the newer engines. But all in all, the nexon shares the same turbo so this does not seem to be much of an issue.
They have used Wastegate Turbocharger based on FGT. This turbocharger is a very basic one which pumps out very little power compared to a proper FGT.

Strict sensor readings and BS6
Ever had an random MIL in a Tata car that was just memorised and you can’t debug or heck even recreate it? That is because of the extremely strict sensor reading guideline setup by Tata. This just means that the range of the readings is preset, which means let's say the intake manifold reading goes up a tad bit from the stock limits. Viola! Limp Me Home Mode! It is clear a lot of power is left on the table for the BS6 norms. As the cylinder head design is the same as the JTPs, as is the power but there is a huge loss in efficiency (fuel and power).
The ECM is detuned as such the turbo charger is not allowed to work in full potential, therefore the extra boost is kicked out as a Waste..

This makes sense, but I would still like to understand if it is possible to get the Altroz iTurbo engine to meet the same/similar spec of the Nexon petrol.

My understanding is that these engines are very much the same and getting the same power output from them should be possible.

Please share your thoughts on this.
Old 21st February 2024, 11:38   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannedShroud View Post
This makes sense, but I would still like to understand if it is possible to get the Altroz iTurbo engine to meet the same/similar spec of the Nexon petrol.

My understanding is that these engines are very much the same and getting the same power output from them should be possible.

Altroz and Nexon uses a different transmission hence it is a very vital factor the power output.

Nexon uses a TA63 and Altroz has TA65 transmission.

You can get it tuned from a decent and reliable tuning shop in your area, if available. Mind it, it will void your warranty.
Old 21st February 2024, 11:47   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_wanderer1 View Post
Altroz and Nexon uses a different transmission hence it is a very vital factor the power output.

Nexon uses a TA63 and Altroz has TA65 transmission.

You can get it tuned from a decent and reliable tuning shop in your area, if available. Mind it, it will void your warranty.

Hi, thanks for the reply..

I'm aware of the transmission differences of the iTurbo and the Nexon.. And I understand that the TA65 is not rated for the higher torque while the TA6300 is.

But I belive the number Tata is quoting is at the crank? And not the wheels. So the detune of the engine is still valid right?

I do have a tuned iTurbo (albeit not a stage 2). But the numbers from a tuned Nexon are still higher than a tuned iTurbo.

What are your thoughts on this? Is there anything else I'm missing?
CannedShroud is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 09:40   #34

Quote:

Quote:
Hi, thanks for the reply..

I'm aware of the transmission differences of the iTurbo and the Nexon.. And I understand that the TA65 is not rated for the higher torque while the TA6300 is.

But I belive the number Tata is quoting is at the crank? And not the wheels. So the detune of the engine is still valid right?

I do have a tuned iTurbo (albeit not a stage 2). But the numbers from a tuned Nexon are still higher than a tuned iTurbo.

What are your thoughts on this? Is there anything else I'm missing?
This is very debatable!!!

Once I was having a detailed discussion with the DET guy regarding dyno test (The topic was between XUV 300 and Nexon - As I always said XUV 300 is powerful and Nexon is too lethargic). He said Tata have tuned it like that and these are hard coated, but he also mentioned that once you open up the ECU maps, the revotron engine is capable.

Now coming to your point - Altroz is lighter by 200kg than Nexon hence the detuned was given, and on roads, the power output is very similar to Nexon. If Tata would have given the same state of tune along with TA63 box then Altroz will beat the I20 NLine and compete with Polo GT.
I think a stage 2 remap with Iridiums, modified intake, exhaust and don't know whether transmission swap will be possible.

In Kolkata, we are having some setups where they are doing some insane tuning jobs. (Still not comparable with south folks )

Can you share the difference after your stage 1 tune?
the_wanderer1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks