Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2022, 08:57   #1
BHPian

VW Virtus: Stubborn left pull from the steering

I have a month old Virtus Topline AT. The car was amazing to drive during first 1200 kms. But then it suddenly developed a left pull and to keep the car straight, i had to pull steering to the right, the whole driving pleasure was gone. I took the car to service center, they checked the air pressure, it was correct. They took a road test and acknowledged the issue. They raised the car and there was no damage whatsoever. Then they did alignment, but the issue persisted when they again took the road test, so alignment was done again and again for 4 times, but issue persisted. I asked for the reason behind the issue and they admitted that they have no clue. Then they raised the car on lift and performed subframe shift. After that issue again persisted, then they again performed subframe shift and told me that issue is resolved. However when I drove the car, the issue is lessened but not gone completely and moreover the entire steering feel is gone, the steering feels heavy when turning left and light when turning right. However after spending 4-5 hours, they said no sir, steering is like this only, but I am sure this has to do with subframe shift they have done. I have no clue what to do now. The whole new car experience has turned into a horror story. @GTO and mods, if you can make it a new thread, kindly do it. Also @GTO, mods or any member can share contact details of senior VW people, kindly share, as I think only VW technicians may be able to identify and correct the issue, as asc people are clueless
Attached Thumbnails
VW Virtus: Stubborn left pull from the steering-img_20221015_170633.jpg  

SolidusSnake is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 16th October 2022, 09:17   #2
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Virtus Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidusSnake View Post
But then it suddenly developed a left pull and to keep the car straight, i had to pull steering to the right, the whole driving pleasure was gone. I took the car to service center, they checked the air pressure, it was correct.
The problem was there in our 500 kms done Taigun when we bought it. The car stayed in the service center for 2 days, and they fixed it. Not sure if it was alignment or something else. It was done during the first service which had more complains.
adigup is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 12:22   #3
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: VW Virtus: Stubborn left pull from the steering

Thanks for sharing, SolidusSnake! Moving your post out to a new thread. A new thread means 100X the views & 100X the visibility in search engines, including Google.

@ BHPians, if you should spot any noteworthy post in an existing thread that deserves its own new thread, please report the post and we'll move it out for greater visibility.

Thank you!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 12:44   #4
Senior - BHPian

Please go to a reputed FNG and get a second opinion. AFAIK, suspension warranty is only for 10k kms or 6 months, if so it might be worth a gamble to have a reputed and experienced folks to have a look.

If you don't get it fixed at the FNG, it is worth paying for the diagnosis and then get it repaired at the ASC if you don't want to bid the warranty.
Old 17th October 2022, 14:15   #5
BHPian

Looks like this is a universal problem with MQB-A0 cars of the VW group.
I had this problem in my Kushaq right from the time when odo had crossed 2000kms. I made a total of 3 visits so far for this issue and every time Skoda SVC tried WB, WA plus rotation there was no left pulling until 1000 km but the issue keeps coming back. Ultimately not sure what they did but during the last visit they kept my car for 3 days and they took multiple TDs. So far I have driven almost 1500 km and I am yet to hit this issue, fingers crossed.

Having said that, I see only 20% life left in my front tires which I have moved to the back during rotation done at 10k. Life of stock Goodyear assurance is shockingly very less. With 16k at odo, I don`t remember changing stock tires so early in its life.

VW Virtus: Stubborn left pull from the steering-thumbnail_img_5799.jpg

Last edited by DragonHawk : 17th October 2022 at 14:24.
DragonHawk is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 14:31   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like an EPS system issue to me. Check the below videos. Is your problem similar to the one shown in the video? Its for Hyundai car. But may get some leads

sagarpadaki is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 15:12   #7
BHPian

The service guys admitted that they have no software for performing Virtus alignment and it is impossible to do it correctly without specific Virtus software in their alignment machine. They simply did hit and trial method the whole day and at end of the day they were clueless.

Is the subframe shifting they performed in my car is advisable in a new car, any cons of it in long run?
Old 17th October 2022, 15:56   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Apparently, when you do mechanical changes to your cars alignment, you have to use a OBD tool and communicate it with your ECU.

From the looks of it, since the car was fine to start with points to a bad alignment. Try out a good shop from outside.

BTW, could you elaborate more on subframe shift?
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 16:43   #9
ike
BHPian

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is a sub frame shift? I have never heard of this before.
ike is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 17:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Subframe shift is literally shifting the subframe on the body shell to adjust camber. This is for the Polo 6R and should be the same in principle for Virtus and other similar models.

VW Virtus: Stubborn left pull from the steering-camberalignment.jpg

Would suggest that OP get the steering angle sensor value checked with steering held straight.

Last edited by Sankar : 17th October 2022 at 17:25.
Sankar is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 09:22   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonHawk View Post

Having said that, I see only 20% life left in my front tires which I have moved to the back during rotation done at 10k. Life of stock Goodyear assurance is shockingly very less. With 16k at odo, I don`t remember changing stock tires so early in its life.
]
There seems to be some other issue, Goodyear Assurance are known for running very high mileage, upto 90K+ KM on some ecosports.
BhayanaV is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 12:16   #12
BHPian

Dont know if empathy helps, but I'm having the same problem in my Safari. Stubborn is the right word for it. For me the left pull started after I changed my tyres to Michelin at 36000 kms. Did a sub frame shift from a FNG run by an ex skoda employee. The traction symbol came on, but the vehicle was sublime to drive. Removed the error using the OBD and the left pull came back with a vengeance. I think this is more of a software issue or EPS than a hardware.
Took the vehicle to TATA and they did all kinds of wheel rotation and alignment which reduced the pull. However, the biggest tradeoff was the steering feel. It is as if I'm always fighting a battle with the steering wheel. Since this problem is not brand specific, I think we will have to think out of the box to find a solution. I'm taking my Safari to TAFE next week and going to try all sorts of permutation and combination to see which one works. In my opinion, the best option will be to try to disable traction control and see how it works.
Neil Roy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 12:37   #13
Sen
BHPian

I had this issue on my Vento, when I had gotten new continental UC6s. They have a habit of taking 1000-2000 kilometres to settle down, here is my thread about it with some useful discussion on the matter! (Car veering to the left)

I hope it's the tires in your case and settles down as well! Please ensure you keep this thread updated with the solution, it'll help thousands!
Sen is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 17:41   #14
BHPian

4 years ago i met with an accident in my father's i20 Active, which resulted in a slightly bent rear torsion beam and a scarred alloy (result of hitting a kerb). The slightly misaligned rear wheel was making the car yaw horribly although the front wheels were perfectly fine.

The point I am trying to make here is that the rear wheels could also need inspection in your case, please also have it looked at by a competent FNG.

In a separate incident, Hyundai ASC was useless in aligning my Verna's front axle last year. The car was pulling ever so slightly to the left. I got it done again at Madhu's when I got my tyres changed. The car tracks straight and true now. Could be a combination of fresh tyres and the alignment in my case (the right wheel's toe had to be adjusted by an abusrdly high angle!).
ashivas89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2022, 18:42   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BhayanaV View Post
There seems to be some other issue, Goodyear Assurance are known for running very high mileage, upto 90K+ KM on some ecosports.
My ecosport has run 42 k kilometres and the stock Goodyear Assurance tyres are almost bald now. Balancing , alignment and rotation done every 5k kilometres. Depends on the roads we drive on ( Trichy roads have been a wreck for more than 6 months now).
sunsetorange is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks