Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2022, 16:42   #1

9-month old Kia Seltos | Manual gearbox problems

I absolutely loved the smooth gear shifts of my Kia Seltos diesel manual (HTK Plus) until an incessant humming sound started appearing. The KIA service associate tried to brush it off as a minor issue saying that it maybe coming from the tyres. But having realised the gravity of the situation, I told them to do a thorough check up.

To my horror, the sound was indeed coming from the gearbox . They tested the gear oil and found traces of metal in it. Apparently there is a faulty bearing and the humming sound was coming from it. I requested the KIA team to replace the entire gearbox and its components considering that it is a new car (just 9 months old). My concern was that if it is due to a faulty bearing then other parts may also be damaged due to friction. But the company flatly refused to do it and the only resolution offered was the replacement of the faulty bearing.

This event left me with complete dissatisfaction with the KIA brand and service. This may have been a manufacturing defect and other cars in the same series also may be affected. But the company is not interested in even investigating this angle.

Manufacturing is a complex process and it is understood that sometimes faults may occur. But it is how brands deal with such incidents based on which the trust & confidence may get built or eroded. In my case, the trust with the KIA brand has reduced considering the way they handled the whole situation.

It is ironic to see that on one side there is a great marketing push in the mainstream media celebrating KIA brand but on the other hand they even manage to disappoint customers like me who once used to be a fan.
Attached Thumbnails
9-month old Kia Seltos | Manual gearbox problems-kia-seltos.jpeg  

Dejay is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 10:50   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: 9-month old Kia Seltos | Manual gearbox problems

It is disappointing, but with the increase in their sales volumes to such enormous levels, new Hyundai-Kia cars are facing an unusually high amount of niggles & problems. Have been noticing this trend since about 3 - 4 years and mentioned earlier = our brand new media test-drive cars have had minor niggles. They had better sort things out to protect their reputation. Especially important with the level of technology they are offering in the mass market (bucket-load of electronic gizmos, dual-clutch ATs, turbo-petrols etc.).

All I can say is, if you are a Hyundai-Kia owner, make sure you get the max possible extended warranty.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 10:57   #3
BHPian

You may have been better off, by getting the faulty bearing replaced. Who knows, even the replacement gearbox may come with faulty bearings too.

Not at all a good start. Hoping you have a smooth journey ahead.
ajayc123 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 15:46   #4
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunate and shocking especially in something as basic as a MT!
GTO's comments nail the gravity of the situation.

Of late I have noticed a lot of issues in Hyundai/Kia cars related to powertrains.
Scared about how the situation would be like 5 years down the line for the owners.
I hope its a faulty bearing only but I don't think their analysis and fixes can be challenged or entertained. You'll have to drive it post the fix and take it back to them if happens again.

As mentioned get the max warranty possible and push for an extended warranty from them, free of charge since your car could still have potential issues which show up at a later date.
shancz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2022, 16:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It is disappointing, but with the increase in their sales volumes to such enormous levels, new Hyundai-Kia cars are facing an unusually high amount of niggles & problems. Have been noticing this trend since about 3 - 4 years and mentioned earlier = our brand new media test-drive cars have had minor niggles. They had better sort things out to protect their reputation. Especially important with the level of technology they are offering in the mass market (bucket-load of electronic gizmos, dual-clutch ATs, turbo-petrols etc.).

All I can say is, if you are a Hyundai-Kia owner, make sure you get the max possible extended warranty.
Thanks for the advice. People planning to get new Kia/Hyundai cars please take a note of this. Maximum possible extended warranty should be a must have for these cars. It is when you get an issue like this that you realise the importance of extended warranty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayc123 View Post
You may have been better off, by getting the faulty bearing replaced. Who knows, even the replacement gearbox may come with faulty bearings too.

Not at all a good start. Hoping you have a smooth journey ahead.
Thanks my friend, I hope you are right

Quote:
Originally Posted by shancz View Post
Unfortunate and shocking especially in something as basic as a MT!
GTO's comments nail the gravity of the situation.

Of late I have noticed a lot of issues in Hyundai/Kia cars related to powertrains.
Scared about how the situation would be like 5 years down the line for the owners.
I hope its a faulty bearing only but I don't think their analysis and fixes can be challenged or entertained. You'll have to drive it post the fix and take it back to them if happens again.

As mentioned get the max warranty possible and push for an extended warranty from them, free of charge since your car could still have potential issues which show up at a later date.
Thanks for your reply. Even I hope that its just one bearing. I tried to push for an extended warranty free of charge, but no hope.

KIA team has displayed an utterly insensitive attitude so far. I went for KIA Seltos over Hyundai Creta thinking that KIA is a more premium brand and customer service would be better but apparently that is not the case.

Last edited by Eddy : 22nd September 2022 at 08:39. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
Old 22nd September 2022, 08:37   #6
BHPian

Absolutely shocking.

Coming from Carens which is just 4 month old and has its fair share of manufacturing defects ( https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post5401045 ) I thought that the issues we have been facing are because of these new half baked , no QA done products. But these gear box/transmission failures in such new vehicles is such a confidence shattering experience.

I sweat thinking what would happen after 5 years of warranty.
ptaneja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 10:47   #7

Typing this on behalf of my close friend

He owns a 3 year old seltos - diesel manual
38000kms done

1st episode - August 5th enroute to vellore from trichy the car stalled near Perambalur - the car was overheating

The car was examined at kia service centre, trichy. The next day the service advisor came up with the reply - there’s a cut belt and he honestly does not know how and why it happened.

The belt was changed under warranty and the car was handed back in two days.

2nd episode - September 6th - enroute trichy from vellore the car switched off and refused to start without any prior warning or indicators. The car was towed after a 4 hour wait. The service advisors reply the next day when enquired - Bro, I’m not sure what’s happened to your car. After ten days my friend was informed that the engine has seized and needs replacement. When asked for a reason - there’s been a leak from the seal and again the reason for the same wasn’t given. All moving parts inside the engine were promised to be replaced under warranty. Initially the car was promised for delivery on 27th September.

On enquiring about the car on 27th September - they had asked for two more days. On 29th my friend was informed that after putting back everything the car refused to start. The problem has been diagnosed to be a starter pack. The replacement for the same is not available. After ignoring my friends calls a few times last week, the service advisor has promised him delivery this week.

My friends seems to have lost total trust in the car. He has been without a car for more than a month now after being stranded twice on the highway.
CJ0010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2022, 13:03   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejay View Post
I requested the KIA team to replace the entire gearbox and its components considering that it is a new car (just 9 months old). My concern was that if it is due to a faulty bearing then other parts may also be damaged due to friction. But the company flatly refused to do it and the only resolution offered was the replacement of the faulty bearing.
Was this issue resolved for your car? Please share an update if possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ0010 View Post
1st episode - August 5th enroute to vellore from trichy the car stalled near Perambalur - the car was overheating

The car was examined at kia service centre, trichy. The next day the service advisor came up with the reply - there’s a cut belt and he honestly does not know how and why it happened.

The belt was changed under warranty and the car was handed back in two days.

2nd episode - September 6th - enroute trichy from vellore the car switched off and refused to start without any prior warning or indicators. After ten days my friend was informed that the engine has seized and needs replacement. When asked for a reason - there’s been a leak from the seal and again the reason for the same wasn’t given. All moving parts inside the engine were promised to be replaced under warranty. Initially the car was promised for delivery on 27th September.
Did the Trichy service centre check for engine damage? An overheated engine can have severe damages to internal components (I experienced it the hard way with my other car where I had the similar turn of events).

From what you have explained, #1 and #2 are related. #2 might have happened already due to engine overheating but manifested some time later. Did you friend experience any starting issue or issue with engine performance after the belt was replaced?

Since the car has under repair for a long time and that too under warranty, ask your friend to demand for a loaner vehicle. If needed, send an email to the corporate office as well. Also ask KIA to give extended warranty on the engine after the replacements are done (keep it in writing/email).

OT: if it is any solace for your friend, Seltos engine has been reliable. Last time I had checked at the service center, the service advisor mentioned there are several diesel Seltos which have covered more than 1L kms in 2 years and undergo regular service only (stock clutch, stock suspension, etc.)

Last edited by ashis89 : 10th October 2022 at 13:07.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2022, 22:16   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
Since the car has under repair for a long time and that too under warranty, ask your friend to demand for a loaner vehicle. If needed, send an email to the corporate office as well. Also ask KIA to give extended warranty on the engine after the replacements are done (keep it in writing/email).

Yes, thankfully this ordeal came to an end. It took close to a month for the KIA Service center as they had to wait for the arrival of parts. The car drives like normal and hope it remains the same for years to come .

One area of improvement for KIA is the customer service. KIA has positioned above Hyundai in its branding (atleast in India). So I was expecting that they provide the extended warranty free of cost considering that its a new vehicle. Nevertheless I did not want to take any risk and bought the extended warranty for two more years.

Mod Note :
Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
Thanks.

Last edited by Sheel : 7th November 2022 at 11:52. Reason: MOD NOTE ATTACHED.
Dejay is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks