Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2022, 10:49   #31
BHPian

Re: Paddle shifters - What is the right way/time to use those?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravi Parwan View Post
This is very interesting. How to tackle downhill conditions in a CVT without paddle shifters? I have a Honda Amaze Petrol S CVT without paddle shifters.
Use the L mode, it does not allow your gearbox to shift beyond the 2nd ratio.
Its helpful in steep inclines as well
InControl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 11:01   #32
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Well, I never got an opportunity to use paddle shifters but it will be a great tool to get control your vehicle via engine braking and definitely will add fun to driving in manual mode, especially on those empty roads.

One stupid question..

Is it possible to install a paddle shifter in aftermarket on AT's/AMT?
Old 8th August 2022, 11:05   #33
BHPian

I'm a huge fan of the Paddle shifters. I mainly use them for quick overtakes when in Comfort mode while cruising around the city.

During the weekend spirited drives, I'm always on the paddles shifters. Depending on the terrain, I just like toying with them at different RPMs.
I infact got the extenders for the Golf GTI to make it more engaging.

Paddle shifters - What is the right way/time to use those?-img_4312.jpg

Paddle shifters - What is the right way/time to use those?-img_4313.jpg

Cheers,
Amey

Last edited by Amey Kulkarni : 8th August 2022 at 11:10.
Amey Kulkarni is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 14:06   #34
Senior - BHPian

I hardly use them in my new Fortuner though I visit the hills very often... It is a matter of getting used to, and let me start doing it from now on. Thanks for the tips shared in the thread
gadadhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 15:11   #35
BHPian

I own a new 2019 Honda Civic AT. The 7 speed gearbox has corresponding paddle shifters right on the steering wheel and is quite fun actually. The car is only used for sedate city driving (17k km in 3 years). I still rue this purchase feeling Honda has conned everyone who ever thought of buying this car, and perhaps the only thing going for me here is the paddle shifters.
rajivrt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 16:09   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by asmr View Post
Now that I have read the responses, I am planning to try this on a not too crowded road - put the gear shaft in M mode and simply enjoy the clutch-free but added control over gears.

On my Santro Xing it (which did not have any RPM meter, nor was it very silent in the cabin), I used to drive by "feel" of the speed. Of course, the Santro was with me for 15yrs and the Taigun has been with me for just 9 months. But I am finding it difficult to judge speed or "right" time to shift gears in the few times I did try the paddles.

You can change the MID view to show the RPM gauge. You can cycle through the views using the View button on the wheel.

I like MID view with the split displays but I keep coming back to the one which shows the revs with the speed.

Paddle shifters - What is the right way/time to use those?-ad50ad042883481498fde63f4ccc1503.jpg

Also, the MID gives a visual indication on when to upshift while in the M mode.

You can see this at 20km/h while in first gear and around 3k rpm, the MID will prompt you to shift by indicating 1>2 in the cluster.

Thanks to you starting the thread, I've diligently started using the paddle shifters.

As mentioned earlier, be careful about downshifting. At times, while in 3rd gear and slowing down to go over a bump, the engine rpm goes down and makes the transmission down shift. While this is expected behavior, on many instances, I've pressed the down shifter almost immediately after the gear is automatically slotted into 2nd from 3rd, thus the car ends up in the 1st gear and I get a mild jerk.

I'm refraining from using the paddles to downshift while slowing down and I'd let the engine do its thing.
throttleflick is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 17:04   #37
BHPian

Quote:
But I am finding it difficult to judge speed or "right" time to shift gears in the few times I did try the paddles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleflick View Post
You can change the MID view to show the RPM gauge. You can cycle through the views using the View button on the wheel.

Also, the MID gives a visual indication on when to upshift while in the M mode.

You can see this at 20km/h while in first gear and around 3k rpm, the MID will prompt you to shift by indicating 1>2 in the cluster.
Name:  IMG_1650.jpg
Views: 1125
Size:  56.4 KB

asmr, this is the screen view i was referring to. You can see it prompting to shift to the 5th gear and also shows the RPM on the middle dial.

(mods kindly merge this post with the one above)

Last edited by throttleflick : 8th August 2022 at 17:05. Reason: added quote and note to mods
Old 8th August 2022, 19:32   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot! Interestingly, I don't seem to have this view for the MID. I can see either the summary or the RPM. Not both. Is this something available on the GT versions (the red screen one seems to be)?

I have never seen the screen I see in the photo on the infotainment screen as well! I just touched 5K on odo today and yet it seems I have a lot to learn about my car!
Old 8th August 2022, 19:41   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot! Interestingly, I don't seem to have this view for the MID. I can see either the summary or the RPM. Not both. Is this something available on the GT versions (the red screen one seems to be)?

I have never seen the screen I see in the photo on the infotainment screen as well! I just touched 5K on odo today and yet it seems I have a lot to learn about my car!
The first screen in blue from my car is when the car is in P. Shift to any gear and you'd see it shift to that particular gear, denoted by R/N/D/S 1-6. When you slot into manual, the same portion shows M1. I think you're with me till this point.

Once in M1, when you rev the engine and the car is in motion, around 2k rpm, you'll see the 1>2 notation I told you about. This is the car prompting you to shift up. Once you press the paddle, it'd show M2 and so on. Usually on my trips locally, I see this happen at around 15km/hr for shifting into the second gear and 29-30 km/hr for the 3rd gear at 2k rpm.

It's the same regardless of the GT/non GT cars.

That second picture I've added looks red because they got the color changed. There's coding that can be done to set the colors to either red, yellow or blue.
Old 8th August 2022, 20:25   #40
BHPian

Quote:
The first screen in blue from my car is when the car is in P. Shift to any gear and you'd see it shift to that particular gear, denoted by R/N/D/S 1-6. When you slot into manual, the same portion shows M1. I think you're with me till this point.
I got you on the color screen part. And what you say on the gear indicator too is fine. What I am not seeing is the summary of the trip it shows in the middle of the RPM circle - the time & km driver, avg speed, avg FE etc. Is there a setting to enable this?
Old 8th August 2022, 20:28   #41
BHPian

Quote:
I got you on the color screen part. And what you say on the gear indicator too is fine. What I am not seeing is the summary of the trip it shows in the middle of the RPM circle - the time & km driver, avg speed, avg FE etc. Is there a setting to enable this?
Yes, press the down arrow and you’d see the options that can be displayed on the middle screen. From there, you can select the drive summary.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks