Team-BHP > Technical Stuff

View Poll Results: Have BS6 diesel? Hit DPF related issues?
Have DPF + SCR (with AdBlue) BS6 diesel for 6+ months, NEVER hit DPF issues 85 50.60%
Have DPF + SCR (with AdBlue) BS6 diesel for 6+ months, hit DPF issues AT LEAST ONCE 16 9.52%
Have DPF + LNT (no AdBlue) BS6 diesel for 6+ months, NEVER hit DPF issues 51 30.36%
Have DPF + LNT (no AdBlue) BS6 diesel for 6+ months, hit DPF issues AT LEAST ONCE 16 9.52%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2022, 10:37   #1
BHPian

BS6 diesel car owners: Have you faced DPF-related issues?

When going through threads on Team-BHP and talking to people about diesel cars, BS6 DPF sometimes comes up as a deal-breaker, if not a major downside or con. We also know that most (not all) of the time, people tend to post only when something goes wrong. So while there are many valuable threads and posts about this (listed later), going through them might give a skewed picture of the situation. I was wondering why not quantify BHPians' collected experiences, both good and bad.

Please do contribute to the poll.

What do I have?

- SCR stands for Selective Catalytic Reduction and is typically used in larger engines (2.0L and up) due to the increased technology cost. Engines equipped with SCR will use AdBlue injection into the exhaust and hence will have a separate AdBlue tank and a blue filler cap for that next to the regular diesel filler cap.

- LNT stands for Lean NOx Trap which is generally used in smaller engines (around 1.5L or less), the exception being Mahindra's 1.5L diesels which use SCR. LNT does NOT use any AdBlue.

What is considered an "issue"?

- If you have seen that your car does an auto DPF regen sometimes when you are driving, it DOES NOT count as an issue, the car here is behaving exactly as designed and is taking care of the DPF to prevent future issues. Routine maintenance of the DPF is also not an issue.

- If however, you've had to manually intervene to do some kind of DPF flushing, servicing, etc, then it definitely counts as an issue.

What if I have multiple BS6 diesels?

If you have multiple BS6 diesels in your garage, then pick the one that has given you DPF-related problems. Better to capture the worst-case scenario.

Why 6 months?

Well, BS6 itself has been around for a little over 2 years and I thought 6 months is a good balance. On one hand, we need to have enough data points to make a meaningful deduction and on the other hand, we need to exclude very new cars that might skew the survey as they have very little chance of hitting DPF problems in that short time.

Non-exhaustive list of Team-BHP threads/posts about DPF:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...just-city.html (BS6 Diesels: DPF clogging issues if driven just in the city?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...kar-spiti.html (DPF issues in BS6-compliant cars at high altitude places like Ladakh, Zanskar and Spiti)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...-engineer.html (All your questions about DPF & BS6 Diesel answered by a Diesel Calibration Engineer)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ommutes-3.html (Diesel DPF clogging due to short city commutes)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ue-here-3.html (BS6 Diesel Car owners - Your experience with DPF / SCR / AdBlue here)

Last edited by Aditya : 5th August 2022 at 05:17. Reason: Spacing
lordrayden is offline   (33) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 05:18   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: BS6 diesel car owners: Have you faced DPF-related issues?

Thread moved out from the Assembly Line. Thanks for sharing!
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 07:16   #3
BHPian

Wonderful poll and thread to get a reality check. Hail Lord Rayden!

I never had the courage to experience diesels initially due to the NHV concerns (about 10-15 years back), and now the NGT ruling for NCR.

Will be watching this post closely.

Last edited by ajayc123 : 5th August 2022 at 07:17.
ajayc123 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 07:22   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Voted for Never.

Mine is a DPF+LNT system. Car has done 44k kms so far with a 25% usage in the city.

Off late, my usage in city has increased where I don't venture out onto a highway drive for 4-6 weeks at a time and drive 300-600 kms in pure horrible Bangalore traffic.

Being my only ride, the car is driven for short distance too. But I tend to drive with a heavy foot as and when possible.

Last edited by ashis89 : 5th August 2022 at 07:24.
ashis89 is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 07:51   #5
BANNED

A very good issue to take-up, I appreciate the OP on taking up such an issue which many with BS6 Diesels or wanting to buy BS6 Diesels will surely consider.
P.S. I am considering the Kia Sonet Diesel AT myself too.

Last edited by itsmeparvathy9 : 5th August 2022 at 07:53.
itsmeparvathy9 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 08:51   #6
BHPian

DPF issues occur due to various reasons such as idling for long, short and frequent drives etc. Doing a poll on the possible reasons leading to it would have helped to understand more about DPF systems and their suitability for future diesel buyers.

I did not vote since I don't own a BS6 diesel yet, but looking at diesel as an option for my next car purchase.
TT-S is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th August 2022, 14:41   #7
BHPian

Re: BS6 diesel car owners: Have you faced DPF-related issues?

I voted for Never.

My car has the DPF + SCR system and in almost a year of owning it, I've not faced any DPF issues. My usage has been 75-80% highway/open roads and I am not a sedate driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TT-S View Post
DPF issues occur due to various reasons such as idling for long, short and frequent drives etc. Doing a poll on the possible reasons leading to it would have helped to understand more about DPF systems and their suitability for future diesel buyers.
I did initially think of putting in other variables like causes, highway/city usage, driving style, etc but felt that would have just cluttered the poll too much. And those questions sometimes suffer from answers not being clear cut, root causes not being known, etc. So thought that would be best left for the posts section. The only variables I included were SCR vs LNT as its a clear technological difference and (in theory) has an impact on reliability.
Old 6th August 2022, 09:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

Voted for Never. My car has run 9k kms and it has never been outside Kerala. So I classify it as 70pc city drives and 30pc highway drive. I don't remember a stretch where I could hold it at 80kmph more than 30 seconds. But I don't have any short duration drives. All my drives are atleast 20-30 mins. It has an SCR and regen happens more frequently for me at about 150-170kms.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 6th August 2022 at 09:10.
padmrajravi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 09:07   #9
BHPian

Nice poll.

If the OP doesn't mind can BS6 Diesel Vehicle owners also mention their Model and variants. I think this will also be a good to have information.
pugram is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 09:11   #10
BHPian

Slightly OT -

It would be helpful if the bhpians posting could also mention the make and model of their cars.
Ravi Parwan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 09:28   #11
BHPian

Voted Never, car is Hector diesel 21K km’s, 13 months of ownership. It has Fiat 2.0 BS6 engine. Also no dips in mileage observed, overall 15+ Km/ litre. No DPF warning till date.
FiatDiesel is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 09:29   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Model - 2021 Tata Altroz 1.5 Diesel
Duration - 9 months
Mileage - 25,000 km
DPF issues - None

Reason - No short trips. Regular frequent highway drives with 2500+ RPM cruising.

There are many diesel altroz owners reporting injector issues. Main reason is by driving with very low fuel levels regularly and fuel quality.
PrasannaDhana is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 09:42   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrasannaDhana View Post
Model - 2021 Tata Altroz 1.5 Diesel
Duration - 9 months
Mileage - 25,000 km
DPF issues - None
I'm one of the many who religiously follow your Altroz ownership thread . I myself am eying the Altroz to replace my beater i10 (so that my i20 can then be the new beater car), but I'm struggling to decide between the nice turbo-petrol and the slightly more impressive diesel.

My usage is 80% city driving in Chennai, with the occasional highway runs to Bangalore or Thanjavur. So I'm really not confident enough to get the diesel, seeing all the Altroz DPF issues being highlighted here, on FB groups and on Twitter.

Polls and discussions like these at least help prospective buyers to know exactly what they are getting into and make an informed decision about buying a BS6 diesel.
Small Bot is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 10:10   #14
BHPian

XUV300 W8(o) Auto 2021 Jan model (LNT as per user manual and not SCR as mentioned above by few people)
8k kms so far. Purely city driving in Bangalore traffic with maybe 10-15% drives on NICE road. No issues so far, auto regen is also yet to occur. Got a DPF clogged warning once but it went away the next morning since I had to to via NICE road anyway.

Last edited by shreyascashyap : 6th August 2022 at 10:16. Reason: Added info on LNT
shreyascashyap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 10:26   #15
BHPian

Model: Tata Nexon 1.5 D

Mileage: 18k kms

Usage: 50kms daily city commute, negligible highway usage. One interstate run

Commute route: Thane, Ghodbunder road to SV road Goregaon (Mumbai)

DPF issues: Nothing yet.

Have never driven in top gear(6). Top gear is mostly 4th. I'm lucky if i get to touch 80kph in this route. Fuel efficiency is around 14 to 15 kmpl.
400notout is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed