Team-BHP > Technical Stuff
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2022, 22:18   #1
BHPian

Which battery type is in your key fob and how long did it last?

Having the right spare battery for your key fob is critical for peace of mind on long drives.
I faced a similar challenge recently and realised the importance of checking the battery health.

My Tata Safari Dicor comes with 27A battery type.
I bought 5 batteries and changed both the key fob batteries in 2019, the expiry date mentioned on the battery was July 2022, which I didnt memorise by heart (mistake).

Few days back, the battery on my main key fob died and I started using the spare one(which is used only by car cleaner on weekends), unfortunately, it also died within two days. I replaced both the batteries with new ones from the set bought in 2019. I then noticed that the expiry itself is July 2022.
I immediately ordered a new set as the led on one of my key fob was showing low intensity, even with this new cell. I started carrying both the key fob and the remaining one unopened cell everywhere in my laptop bag. Not surprisingly, one key fob died within one day. I was lucky that there was still some charge left in the other.
Today, I received a new set and changed both the key fob batteries together. I didn't bother to test the untouched one from the previous set.

Learnings: Expiry date on key fob batteries are exceptionally well calculated. Please keep a tab on it.

It will be better if you change the battery proactively, if it is reaching the expiry date. The spare battery may die at the same time, even if it is an unused sealed-pack.

May I request everyone to mention what battery type their key fob comes with, and how long it lasted? This may help other bhpians.

Car: Tata Safari Dicor
Battery type: 27A
Years lasted: Full 3 years; till the expiry date mentioned on the battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Which battery type is in your key fob and how long did it last?-img_20220721_215146.jpg  

Last edited by MT_Hyderabad : 21st July 2022 at 22:21.
MT_Hyderabad is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 11:52   #2
BHPian

Re: Which battery type is in your key fob and how long did it last?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
Having the right spare battery for your key fob is critical for peace of mind on long drives.

May I request everyone to mention what battery type their key fob comes with, and how long it lasted? This may help other bhpians.
My car: Honda BRV MT Petrol, 2017 model.

My keyfob uses the CR2032 Button Cells.

The original batteries which came as OEM lasted for around 2 years. After that the batteries were replaced from the Honda authorised workshop and they lasted just over an year. So I decided to purchase these batteries from Amazon/flipkart which last around a year too.
I keep reserve pair of spare batteries in the car.

Which battery type is in your key fob and how long did it last?-img_20220722_113659.jpg
I have also purchased the CR2032 manufactured by Duracell and would use them next time, I hope it lasts 2 years.

Last edited by Sushil Pingua : 22nd July 2022 at 11:54.
Sushil Pingua is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 14:29   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT_Hyderabad View Post
My car - Aspire Diesel Titanium 2015 Model
One smart keyfob uses the CR2032 Button Cell, the other a dumb key.
On original battery till date since used only for locking and unlocking over 124000 kms.
I hardly use it for unlocking the boot via key.
Thanks.

Last edited by Turbanator : 22nd July 2022 at 14:42. Reason: Fixed quote.
eyedocgb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 17:03   #4
BHPian

Both my car key-fobs have CR2032 cells. The Punto key-fob is still on its original cell and it has been 10+ years.

The Superb remote needed change after about 1.5 years. Both the key fobs.

The cell pictures that OP has posted, I have seen them being used in home security remotes only. A learning for me.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 22nd July 2022 at 17:05.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 17:21   #5
BHPian

Both my car keys use CR-2032 button cells.

Interestingly, the one I use regularly is still working without any signs of low battery (5 years and continuing), whereas the spare one was dead and had to replace the cell after 2 years, I chose Duracell this time, original came with Panasonic make.
I now use them alternating on a monthly basis.

Car: MS Baleno 2017 make.
Agarwal_Aayush is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 17:26   #6
Senior - BHPian

My TUV3OO key-fobs got CR-1632. Original batteries lasted for nearly 6 years. After that bought a pack of 5 cells and same battery is used in our selfie stick remote. I have a habit of swapping keys every month (tracked with an entry on wall calendar) for equal usage
Attached Images

airbus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 18:02   #7
Senior - BHPian

For Jazz CVT key fob I use this. Panasonic CR2032.

Name:  battery.JPG
Views: 3567
Size:  38.4 KB

Ordered 2 of these after my first key battery died after 2.2 years of usage. 6 month's later the second fob's battery as well died. Probably the life was more or less similar but since the 2nd keyfob wasn't used much lasted a little longer. Being a keyless entry-go its mandatory to have a set of these handy always.

Last edited by SoumenD : 22nd July 2022 at 18:21.
SoumenD is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 23:02   #8

My Etios Liva keyfob uses this type of battery. They lasted a little more than 3 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Which battery type is in your key fob and how long did it last?-20220723_225544.jpg  

toyotafanboi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 09:31   #9
BHPian

Wonderful Thread. I have a 2011 Toyota Fortuner and I don't even know what battery it has as I've never had to replace it in these 11+ years. Although my Ecosport has undergone multiple battery changes in the 7+ years of ownership but I remember the last change was 3 years ago and seems to be running just fine. Guess its best to keep a spare.
kaushiksudra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 10:11   #10

Great thread. I didn’t know Keyfob batteries have well-calculated expiry dates. I will sure go and check now for my 11 year old Hyundai i10 and 8 months old Jeep Compass.

I have been using the same keyfob on my i10 since day 1, only for locking and unlocking the doors, and have never had to replace the battery. I thought that once this keyfob runs out of battery, the other’s life will start. Now I know how stupid that sounds. Having said that, since the ignition key on this keyfob is our old fashioned, non-nonsense metal buddy, running out of battery suddenly will lead to a half sigh and a full shrug at best.

I can’t say the same about my modern Compass keyfob. My jeep comes to life only with its beloved within touching distance, every single time. So, right away, I am going to check the expiry date of its batteries, and its hitherto unused twin. And I’ll probably keep the twin handy in some way, rather than safeguarding it with the full might of my closet.
Old 24th July 2022, 10:21   #11
BHPian

My Nexon uses CR2032 for the fob and CR1632 for the band. I keep a few handy so I don’t run out of juice. On an average I get 8 months - 1 year per battery. I change battery when I feel that the range of key fob has reduced..
Old 24th July 2022, 10:29   #12
Team-BHP Support

My Swift ZXi+ uses CR2032 3V. Lasted ~ 4 years.

The one on my Scorpio S10 4WD is going on since '15, no issues despite leaving one key not in use for months. So, have not even bothered to find out its make / model.
Old 24th July 2022, 10:53   #13
BHPian

Our Panda (Creta 1.6 P Manual) uses CR2032 cell in both the key fobs.

The original cell lasted for about two years. One fine day the key which I regularly use failed to unlock the car and I used the spare and it was working fine. Since the showroom was near to my house and my initial attempts at opening the key was kind of damaging it, I took it to the showroom for cell replacement. They did it and the SA advised me to alternate between the keeys every other month. Using the key extends its cell life rather than keeping it unused. I have been doing that since then and the it's working fine for the past 2.5 years.

Now, I knew that the cell in the second fob might kick it anyday so I purchased Panasonic CR2032 button cells for replacing it. Accidentally, I ordered CR2025 cells instead of CR2032. When the cells arrives surely the second fob cell is on its last legs. I didn't want to re order the same so I decided to go ahead with the replacement. I had learnt from the SA how to properly change the cell without damaging the key fob and I replaced the cell. The remote worked fine with the CR 2025 cell. It's just a little thinner than the other one. It has been over 2 years and I have not faced any issues.

The 2032 is just dimensions of the cell 20mm dia and 3.2 mm thickness. I used the same 2025 cell in my weighing scales and all I had to do was put a piece of paper to adjust the thickness.

So, essentially, CR2025 will work in slot of CR 2032. Will come handy in a pinch.

Last edited by BLACNWYTE : 24th July 2022 at 10:54.
BLACNWYTE is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 11:20   #14

Out of curiosity, why is the battery health monitoring really needed? All cars in my family till now (key based ignition as well as keyless), have survived several years without any issues and you can lock/unlock as well as start the car even without a battery in key-fob.

Punto - 11+ years and going strong,
Dzire - 6+ years and no issues
Tucson - Just 2 years so lets see

The remote is a more of a convenience and less of a critical part. If it fails, your long drive still goes smoothly I think
absingh911 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 12:17   #15
BHPian

My Atroz XZ(2020) has 1 key fob and 1 wearable wristband.
The key fob uses a CR2032, in the last 18 months I have changed the battery 6 times. My fault, changed the battery every time the door request sensor didn't work and with the new battery, it worked well. In the end, the request sensors stopped working and the SC replaced the sensors.

The wristband uses a CR1632, I don't use the band much. I haven't changed the battery yet.
kvamshi04 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks